Black Diamond/Platinum 3.6 AWD - Page 3
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac ATS Picture Forum Discussion, Black Diamond/Platinum 3.6 AWD in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by redsoxski AW... What beautiful pics.. One day I wii take ones of my white diamond tricoat and ...
    Ancient Mariner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Performance

Re: Black Diamond/Platinum 3.6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxski View Post
    AW... What beautiful pics.. One day I wii take ones of my white diamond tricoat and hope they come out as nice as yours... Noticed ATS 4 in back pics, what's that signify?
    Thanks and yes re the AWD, local dealer doesn't even bring in RWD unless it's a special order - Canadian winters....eh!

redsoxski is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Performance ATS 3.6 white diamond tricoat
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Mariner

Thanks and yes re the AWD, local dealer doesn't even bring in RWD unless it's a special order - Canadian winters....eh!
    Canadian, eh. need the 4 for sure...But no worries, with that beautie, even the snow won't stick on that paint job. Now a snow bank is another matter, but a least they will find you, unlike me with my WD Tri... they would not find me till spring!! Happy Motoring
    Ancient Mariner likes this.

CADILLACATS2013 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS

I got a 3.6 with the black diamond and when I bought it, it was cloudy day...stayed that way a few days and today I came outside and saw it for the first time in the sun...It was like nothing I saw before. My daughter put it best when she said it looks like there is a thousand stars on the car. Really an amazing paint. I had a toyota flint mica black on my last car but it is nothing compared to the cadillac paint. I am so glad I chose the3.6 ATS instead of the Q50

sebounet is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD performance

Nice pictures , i use also zaino products for years, but since i am in canada , i can't find a day to take a picture of my car clean.
    Mine is phantom gray so less maintenance. I use Zaino all in one, Z2 with zfx, zaino clear seal and Z8.

I keep my car around three years and i have no swirls on my paint.

Thanks, but she's gonna be "salt crystal tricoat" for a few months yet...damn winter LOL! I was impressed with some Blackfire products I experimented with last year though, so got some of their good stuff to try when spring doesn finally arrive:

MSG C5 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Beautiful pics! I bet this paint would hide small rock chips a lot better than a solid clearcoat paint would.

Don't know about rock chips...yet , but it does great at hiding light dusting that used to drive me crazy on other black cars I've owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Mariner View Post
    Don't know about rock chips...yet , but it does great at hiding light dusting that used to drive me crazy on other black cars I've owned.
    I certainly didn't mean to jinx you! However, I do think the metallic flake will definitely hide small imperfections a lot better than a solid black clearcoat.

My last two business sedan daily drivers have been black cars. I moved from Chicago to SW Florida in 2005 and when I arrived, I thought the days of my cars getting abused by foul weather was over. However, I soon realized that Florida presents its own set of challenges.

After about one year of daily, high-speed driving on the interstate, I noticed that the front end of my black Acura was looking a little rough. I kept washing and detailing the car (I'm nuts about it - ask my wife), I noticed more and more damage. I finally asked a friend of mine who owns a body shop and works on our Corvette club cars what was causing it and he told me the high winds that blow over the Florida peninsula on a daily basis raise up the sandbed and blows sand in the air. Even on a sunny, clear day this is happening and you don't notice it because the sand is so fine. If you're driving 70 MPH into a 30 MPH headwind, you're literally sand-blasting your car at 100 MPH. You won't exprience this type of damage if your just driving around town, however since my business driving has me on interstate highways between Tampa, Orlando, Miami, etc., I'm usually driving around 70 - 80 MPH.

Anyway, lesson learned. I love black cars and I think the Black Diamond tricoat is the perfect compromise between a black clearcoat and the lighter gray or silver paint options. Although I don't drive as many miles as I used to, I still get plenty of expressway driving in, so the first mod I will perform will be to add a 3M clear film bra on the front bumper, partial hood and side mirrors!

Plus, I think the GM/Cadillac paint is a lot more resiliant to damage than the Honda/Acura paint. The finish on my 2004 Corvette is still near perfect, although it has a lot less miles.

...and don't get me started about "Love Bugs"

In comparison, the GM paint rocks!

Nice clean Vette! But yea that Acura has taken a bit of a beating. And no doubt I'll have some next spring after a winters driving with salt and sand everywhere - will see then how it stood up (and hides surface damage) after the usual spring cleaning/refurbishing event.

BTW, what brand tire dressing do you use? The wheels looks great!

I've been using this stuff last couple years - it has decent durability, and it's a bit shinier which I personally prefer.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.