Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Changing interior trim

5K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  airframer84 
#1 ·
Hi,
I found this trim on eBay. The auction number is 322450511224. It's pretty cheap! How hard would this be to replace?

#2 ·
Looks like it just snaps on. If you don't feel confident pay a body shop or car stereo place to do it. They should have all the tools and skill to do that. Shouldn't be more than one hour of labor. You could also resell the ones you have if they are removed carefully.

#4 ·
I replaced the trim on my CTS but it is the same process. I used my plastic trim removal tool from Harbor Freight but I suspect all the auto stores carry them. It literally took me less than 1/2 hour to R&R. Just get the tool under the trim at one end and slowly start prying up and the trim will pop off.

#13 ·
In the picture it looks like he even has the piece that broke off, nothing a little gorilla glue or quake putty couldn't solve I'd imagine. That being said, even if you can't get the pin to go back on you may be able to use some putty in that hole just to get the piece to hold onto the back door...

#14 ·
I agree with the above, if I wanted this trim bad enough and the price was low enough I would figure out a way to install them and keep them on. The tabs are used by the OEM because they are easy to install and relatively easy to uninstall. I wonder about just enough silicone to hold it on but without it being seen and I like silicone because it can be pulled apart and/or scraped or rubbed off and parts won't rattle against it has it doesn't get hard.

Parts aren't holding other parts on or pulled on, just a decorative cover.

#15 ·
When I switched the trim on my CTS, one piece that I removed had a pin broken off just like the picture and it didn't affect anything--in fact I'm not sure why it was even there. Interestingly, my car just came off the truck so I knew it hadn't been fiddled with at the dealer and close inspection showed that the broken pin area was circled with a yellow grease pencil. I can only assume it was identified when new but still assembled to the car. Long and short, I wouldn't worry a bit about that missing pin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.