Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Caddy at AutoX

8K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  destoups 
#1 ·

2nd gear is too short for autox. I wish the 2nd gear ratio is lower than 2.62. 2.20 would be perfect. Oh well, just have to get use to it.

Other than that, it was fun! Great car for autox.

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
Are you on the allseason runflats or the summers?

I don't even know what they use for the all seasons, I think the summers are bridgestone RE050s? I've had RE050's before, I always found them 'adequate' but when you've got a sentra with brand spanking new Rivals 3 wheeling all the time.. they comparatively suck bawlz. They feel a lot like the sport Comp2's I have on the corvette Now.

#13 ·
If the all-seasons are equivalently both mediocre and now 7 years old, I can see why people have traction issues with them.

I really have no idea why they're using a tire at the max-end of it's life in a car they want to tout as at the leading edge in it's market.

but then again, I'm full of logic and stuff. Silly me.

#20 ·
I just ran the slushbox at a local medium sized course, I have to admit, I'm very surprised at the PAL shifting in the car. It kept me in the right gear 95% of the time, or was fast enough to get me there without hesitation or upsetting the car, vast improvement over the 6L90E language in the CTS-V and a complete character reversal of when it's in touring mode, which is to say, it sucks in touring mode. This trans LOVES to shift fast and hold gears when it's being thrown around. I actually just let it do it's thing all 6 runs which was great given it was a double backing and let me concentrate in not going off course.

I'm having a bit of an identity crisis at the moment actually, in whether I will want a 6MT in an ATS-V. It was that good.

#23 ·
I ran my ATS 3 weeks ago at a autocross at the NJ Meadowlands, I held my own in D class, it was a fast course with close to 70 MPH, The car is well balanced, trans ,and brakes are excellent, but it is still a big car compared to almost everything else auto crossing. I found the throttle modulation to be the toughest as thelag time can become a problem, the car is also heavy again compared to almost everything out there. Still all in all I had a great time, and managed to beat some lighter and faster cars, the 19 inch wheels with 275, and 245 were a big help. Next event in 2 weeks back at the Meadowlands.

#25 ·
Reviving an old thread: My 2015 6MT's maiden event in San Francisco. Only prep was some half done Bridgestone RE71Rs; a fat second behind the winner (national champ) in a Camaro 2.0T and a few tenths behind the podium finishers in BRZ and FRS. It puts power down well in the wet. Swapped cars with the Camaro driver -- interesting how different the two feel back to back. Camaro sure felt stronger up top but the ATS didn't feel nearly as laggy down low. Champ laid down a time in an ATS that was about a half second off his own in the Camaro.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Personal luxury car

#27 ·
Camaro is remarkably poised on course even without a bar or shocks; there's roll but not bad. Sweeps beautifully. My buddy had a good alignment and 275s all around.

But nothing transitional or slalomy on this course, unfortunately, that would have let the MRC shine in comparison.

Wasn't clear but I meant Camaro pulls strongly up to redline, Caddy seems to run out of breath around 5500 rpm. I do plan to go to 19s to chase gearing.

Camaro is 8.5 square, and mine's 8 front and 9 rear, so not that bad rubber-wise. My buddy's on 275s; I was on 265s.

#28 ·
Update: Second event, this time in Portland. Small, transition-heavy course, not a great proxy for national-level courses: a sweeper, a series of slaloms and offsets, a wide 180 turnaround and five cone slalom to the finish. No real power sections, and more bumpy and off camber than ideal. But the ATS felt wonderful; it ate up transitions and was unfazed by the bumps. I'd been curious about how my square setup (265s front and rear, vs. 225/255 in stock form) would affect balance, and it was pretty clear the OEM stagger was meant to induce some understeer. It's a little tail-happy on the square setup. That makes me feel a bit better about the bigger front bar waiting in the garage, aimed at keeping more of the rear tire on the ground.

Haven't seen results; I coned pretty much every run, but raw times for top pax were there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.