Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Window Tinting

20K views 44 replies 25 participants last post by  louieftw 
#1 · (Edited)
Window / Taillight Tinting

Going to get the windows tinted this weekend. Had my Black Raven/Morello delivered this past Sunday.

Has anyone tinted their windows with 20% or 35% and have pictures showing how it came out? I had 35% on my Mustang but always wished I had gone a little darker.

Leaning towards 20% since I feel it's dark enough that it looks great but you can still see what's going on inside.

Also - have any of you tinted your tail lights yet? I'm curious how the 3rd brake light came out.

#30 · (Edited)
I've got a blue glacier Lux and want to tint, but not sure on how dark/light to go. The tinting here in SoFL serves a definite purpose in reducing the heat build-up and that would be my main purpose in tinting. However, I don't mind also going for a "look," but don't want to go too dark. I did drive a Silver Coast Lux loaner and thought that it had acceptable tinting (Llumar - front windows 35%, rear and back windows 15% - could be that this difference was to balance the already present factory tinting?) and looked good. The ATSs come with 70% factory tinting all around. Meaning that 70% of available light will pass through the windows. After-market tinting with 35% will reduce light passage to 70% X 35% = 24.5% for the fronts and 10.5% for the rears. I do find it interesting that a Florida Cadillac dealer would allow for this amount of light transmission when the legal limits are 28%/15%. Wondering how this combo would look on my blue car?

BTW, as I use a radar detector (V-1), and I was wondering if there would be any difference in its performance vs ceramic or metal based tint? ANSWER: Tinting louses up V-1 laser detection, otherwise K and X bands detected without much loss.

One last thought/question: How well did the back windshield come out? As it is a rather steep slope there with cramped conditions, I was wondering it there was any messing up there?

#36 ·
I'm having a hard time choosing between 50% and 70% on my Black Raven. I want to darken the windows slightly for my 6 month old passenger and for the aesthetics but I don't want to get pulled over for tint.

Adding 50% effectively makes our ATSs 35% tint while adding 70% makes it roughy 50%. I like the uniformity of the same tint all the way around rather than darker tints on the rears.

Thoughts?

#38 ·
I'm having a hard time choosing between 50% and 70% on my Black Raven. I want to darken the windows slightly for my 6 month old passenger and for the aesthetics but I don't want to get pulled over for tint.

Adding 50% effectively makes our ATSs 35% tint while adding 70% makes it roughly 50%. I like the uniformity of the same tint all the way around rather than darker tints on the rears.

Thoughts?
Considering that you don't want to make it too dark, but yet protect the baby, adding 50% would probably put you where you want to be. One of the parameters you might wan to check, it how much of the sun's energy will be blocked. I'm going to get LLumar's Formula One, although I[m not sure how dark I want it to be. I'm getting Formula One because: 1) Had it on my 2002 325i for 12 years without any problems-I will probably keep the ATC for 7 years, 2) It is ceramic and won't interfere with any electronics. 3) Very high quality. Here's a site ( http://www.formulaonetinting.com/window-film-comparison.html) that you can refer to to get an idea of not only what the different percentage tints do, but also how it looks. Good luck.

#40 ·
I bought my ats to take to Germany next year, but, living in Vegas you need tint. Germany has some pretty strict tint laws, basically no tint allowed. So, I went with 80% suntek cxp. Pretty much clear, but amazing heat reduction. Non-metal, nano-hybrid, carbon construction. I had all windows, including windshield done. I'll get pics up later.

#44 ·
i noticed u had a cadillac SLS. very nice. we might have seen each other in the seville forums. i had a 96 STS about a year ago.

back to the tints, on my black raven ATS, i did ceramic tint 70% on the windshield, 20% on the front 2 doors and dark limo tint in the back. all ceramic. im very glad i did the windshield as well since it really does save your dash from the sun and reduces the interior temperature ALOT when parked outside in california sun.

obviously i might get pulled over but who the hell cares? if you follow every law they make up, eventually its not a free country any more.

#45 · (Edited)
Possibly - I owned my SLS for two years (09-11), then my BMW for two (11-13). I took very good care of them, both looked far too good to be as old as they were!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.