Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Little project I'm working on

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  JoeC1982 
#1 ·
Tight space on ATS for inter cooler!

#6 ·
It will be awhile before inter cooler and turbo kit will be available. There will probably be changes I make after running and testing different parts and won't release anything until I know it's the best that I can possibly do. I won't just build and start selling things to public without knowing a customer is getting the absolute best parts there money can buy! I try and build high quality parts without gouging the customer or try blowing smoke up there arse with something they don't need!
I honestly don't feel there is going to be a need for a tubular header, we have made over 500 horsepower and have ran 10 second passes with STOCK APPEARING Mitsubishi turbos! Though the Mitsubishi turbo is small on ATS, I think we will be able to get 425-450 horsepower from it! ATS turbo is a tdo4 and is same turbo size as Hyundai genesis. We gained a 100 horsepower with tdo4 on that car. Right now I'm making little over 300 horsepower with ATS, and that's with just a catback exhaust and intake, and using HP tuners software! The stock inter cooler heat soaks when car isn't moving, I have seen intake temps as high as 90-100 degrees, when temp outside is 65-70! I'm sure on a 90 degree day the temps go well over 120 degrees. The car will start pulling timing out at 105-110 degree intake temps. When the car is cruising down road and its 60-70 degrees outside the intake temps stay around 70-80 degrees. When it's 40-50 degrees outside the intake temps will be 50-60 degrees Typically from all the logs I have the intake temps with be 5-10 degrees higher than outside temp while car is moving. Even the passes at dragstrip the intake temps where pretty good. Before I'd stage car the intake temps would be 90-100, and at the top of third gear the intake temps where at 80degrees. Outside temps when I was at track the last time was low 60's, so only time the stock inter cooler heats up is at idle(which all inter coolers will) but aftermarket inter coolers won't heat soak as fast.

----------

The dyno I'm using is a mustang AWD dyno and its called the heartbreaker! I only use dyno to test, I don't care about big dyno numbers, I care about trap speed!

#14 ·
we have made over 500 horsepower and have ran 10 second passes with STOCK APPEARING Mitsubishi turbos!
I am still waiting for the "dime a dozen" turbo mods that existed in my "early" gearhead days with the 4g63. My experience with those bad boys was why I decided to get the turbo ATS - hopefully we won't snap axles like the old days!

The stock inter cooler heat soaks when car isn't moving, I have seen intake temps as high as 90-100 degrees, when temp outside is 65-70! I'm sure on a 90 degree day the temps go well over 120 degrees. The car will start pulling timing out at 105-110 degree intake temps.
That key detail is good to know. I cant help but wonder why GM decided to put together the cooling module like they did - it seems like they knew the thing would heatsoak - meanwhile I beat the snot out of the car on a 90 degree day and the engine never soaks but the poor intercooler is just toasted.

Do you happen to have any mockup pics of the front of the car with the bumper cover off, showing some of the routing and prototyping you're looking at?

Oh! And as a request, so far the tubular manifolds out there don't provide a good cover/heatshield like the stock one - I'd prefer to have that as an option when I decide to go tubular - I dislike toasting the paint on my hood. :thumbsup:

#15 ·
Yes I will have a bunch of pics! And cooking the hood is something I really don't want to see happen! With no shield, header wrap would be a real good idea, but hopefully good power will come from stock ported exhaust manifold and stock turbo upgrade.

#16 ·
Do you think upgrading just the intercooler piping would help or is it pretty well set up from the factory? Also i'm curious about the stock blowoff/diverter valve, do you think something like a Synapse would help any? I'm really wanting to make the supporting mods to keep temps down and efficiency up. Are there any turbo blankets that would work better than the stock heat shield? Sorry for all the questions but I just want to be extra safe when turning up the boost on the tune.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.