Sweet Citrus Smell in 2014 ATS
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Sweet Citrus Smell in 2014 ATS in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; We purchased a 2014 Cadillac ATS from a dealership a couple of weeks ago. We noticed a sweet citrus smell ...
    JEPCB is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Sweet Citrus Smell in 2014 ATS

We purchased a 2014 Cadillac ATS from a dealership a couple of weeks ago. We noticed a sweet citrus smell in the car upon purchasing but the car salesman said he could not smell it. We thought perhaps it was a cleaning product or the carpets had been cleaned. The strong smell did not go away so we brought the car back to the dealership to have it looked at. They could not find anything wrong and in fact said there was no odour present. We drove the car for two hours straight, the smell dissipates some, then a string whiff of scent comes back. When we leave the car windows open in the garage it smells less, but the smell is still there. When we close the car windows the smell is very strong when we next get in the car, even with the car not running. Can anyone help identify what the smell is, whether it will go away completely and what we can do to get rid of the smell quicker?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Pezman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS LUX

Re: Sweet Citrus Smell in 2014 ATS

Most likely perfume from one of the cleaners used to detail/clean the car before putting it on the lot for sale. The carpet cleaner is the usual culprit. The only other thing I could think of is possibly a leaky heater core, so watch your coolant level.

Time and summer heat will get rid of the smell, especially if you drive with your windows down. Pez

EDIT : I've heard that sprinkling some baking soda on the carpet, lightly brushing it in , then vacuuming it out helps, but have never had cause to try it.

Long is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '89 Coupe deVille, '10 CTS4 3.6L DI Performance sedan

We recently had a Malibu rental with the same overpowering odor. I also attributed the scent to some type of cleaning agent. We had the car for 5 weeks and I don't believe it went away, I think we just became nose blind to the fragrance.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

artscadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev: 2007 CTS 3.6 RWD - Now: 2016 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux

It's probably from cleaning/detailing sprayed to make the car smell fresh. It could have smelled bad from previous owner.

The Fabreeze commercial sounds like a product to try.

Flexipino is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 3.6 PREMIUM

Could be the AC filter cleaner they used to deodorize the unit. It's a pretty common smell after a service like that.

MrJohn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Premium AWD 2.0T

I would change the cabin filter and install one with charcoal. You can also put a pan full of cat litter mixed with baking soda on the back seat floor. It should absorb the odor.

idealdreams is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac ATS4 Premium 3.6L White Diamond Tricoat

I smelled a cherry scent when I purchased my car and no matter how hard I tried, I could NOT get rid of the smell. Had no clue where it was coming from and like you, I thought it was just the cleaning product they used to detail the car before they gave it to me.

As I was thoroughly cleaning my car, inside and out, I pulled both seats up towards the dash as much as they could go and found the culprit. There were two small, square air freshener paper-like things that were giving off that smell, one under each seat. They promptly went in the trash.

Never would have thought to look under the seat so try checking under yours! There's an air duct under each seat that comes on whenever the climate control is set to "feet" so that pushed the smell out from under the seat and spread it throughout the whole car.

budgreen3564 is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2016 ATS AWD

Buy some Ozium air freshener. Knocks out most anything

JEPCB is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thank you to all for your advice. Will try your suggestions. Much appreciated.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.