Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Cadillac labor rates!!!

12K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Submariner409 
#1 ·
It was time for an oil change on my ATS and I thought I would treat myself and have my SS Brake Lines installed. Talk about sticker shock. I got a call from my New SA (another story) and he quoted me $1,024 to install, bleed/ABS and fluid. Labor charge is .8 PER WHEEL, .8 for system bleed/ABS and 2 bottles of fluid. But, I got a discount... so now it is only $900.

#3 ·
They will charge the book time, even if the tech can do it faster.
And if it takes longer than book time, they will probably charge the actual time.
This is why many don't want to be out of warranty.
That's standard procedure for the majority of shops and dealerships.
Very few will stick to their estimate if they go over.
Fewer will discount the customer if it takes them less time.

That's the state of dealerships these days. And the labor rates are just absurd for what may be a non SAE certified tech making $20/hr or less without a clean workspace or even a benchtop. I know the cost of insurance for running a shop has gone up substantially, but $125 is stupid.

When you're exceeding the billing rates for union machinists, welders, electricians, pipe fitters, tin knockers, and even approaching professional licensed engineers - things have gotten out of hand.

#10 ·
Agreed... They can charge what ever they want. But, that doesn't make it right. I have changed enough brake lines to know it doesn't take 1 hr per wheel or take an hr to bleed the system and $170 and hr is outrageous.

I installed Speed Bleeders on my RV ($32). I use 3 qts of DOT 3 fluid and I a 4 wheel power bleed in about 30 mins. That includes filling the master cyl and moving to each wheel. OBTW - No spacial procedures for the ABS system.

Sent Via Tapatalk

#11 ·
Agree that it is too much and one of the problems with dealing with a Service Manager and "book" rates. My guess is he has virtually no idea how long this should take and book rates are off. I am interested in finding a good independent when my warranty runs out but not sure how. With my BMW it was very easy as there are places all over town that specialize in BMW's but haven't found the same with Cadillac.

Recently had transmission fluid, coolant fluid, differential fluid, and brake fluid all changed on my BMW for $450 (parts, labor, tax - total) at an indy and decided it wasn't worth doing myself.

Your dealership charges $170 per hour? I guess I haven't paid attention since it isn't relevant yet but this seems high.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.