Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Black Carbon dust coating on center area of exhaust muffler?

922 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Submariner409 
#1 ·
15 month old ATS 2.0 15K mi 93 oct only, I clean my exhaust tips regularly to keep like new,in looking underneath I notice carbon build up in center area of exhaust muffler/tank towards front is this normal? wiping with a rag some black comes off otherwise most of muffler has normal aluminum look.

#4 ·
Yup ^^^^

Many exhaust systems - mufflers and resonator - have weep holes and will piddle a stream of condensate for a while after cold start - that's why you see white vapor out of tailpipes on a cold/cool morning idle or low speed until the entire system heats up ........ burning gasoline liberates a LOT of water and the cold exhaust system is a very effective still.

#6 ·
Many SUV-type vehicles and those with flattish rear areas, particularly those driven in city environments, get exhaust dirt all over the rear and rear window - poor aerodynamics simply swirls the gases straight up the tailgate - you can even see it in cold weather warmup driving. That's also a reason for exhaust smell complaints in SUVs - bad rear hatch weatherstrip seals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.