Cadillac Owners Forum banner

New Wheels Rubbing fender liner

9K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Jakb 
#1 ·
Hey All,

So I ordered a new set of wheels for the ATS Conti DWS 06 235/40/18 on 18x8 et30 wheels, I have only done a test fit but so far but i get a bit of rub as the wheel turns on the backside (right side if you are looking at the driverside front wheel) I know I went up slightly in tire size from stock spec but didnt figure it would be an issue (5.5mm gain in radius) and 12mm further outwards on offset. Just wondering if anyone else has encountered it and what have you done to correct it? Tire place suggested tying the liner back somehow but i dont want to poke hole and zip tie it if I dont have to. Heat gun perhaps?

Thanks

Pic for Reference (dont worry, wheels arent going on till spring!)

See less See more
#2 ·
Take it back and get a properly fitted setup....you've gone wider than you think...to keep it simple I compared the Michelin primacy in sizes that fit .....with stock 17s (225/45/17) your your tread width is 7.7 inches and with the upsize that fits (225/40/18) and the same tire your tread width grows to 8.9 inches....this small change has a rather large effect on the overall profile/shape of the tires .......225 is the overall width at the widest point of the sidewall and is different than the tread width ...and the offset just makes this worse

#3 ·
I think it depends on how you bought them. If you told them the wheels and tires you wanted and they sold them to you then it is really your problem but maybe you can work it out with the dealer. If you said you want wheels and tires for your ATS then it is their problem and I they should do the best solution, not the easiest for them.

I personally wouldn't want to try to use a heat gun or zip ties to try to change or hold the liner back. If you can get replacements, the correct offset wheels would be my first choice with new 225 tires being the second. If the tires haven't actually been used (still new tires) then this will make the process easier.

#5 ·
Speaking to folks on here, I put together a setup that I thought world work out great. I am on my own on this as I ordered them knowing it was an out of spec setup. Wheels were custom drilled for the 115 rather than the 114.3. I didnt think the 5.5mm in added tire height would affect things much. Havent picked them up yet as only the test fit has been done...

#7 ·
I stayed with an 8" wheel in order to make the Offset work and in speaking with folks here it was going to work, so I went that direction to get the nice concave look on the wheel. I guess lesson learned...Trying to see if they can be swapped to the 40 offset before I pick them up, if not im stuck with em.

#8 ·
I run 18x9 rims all around with a 42 offset. Needed 6mm spacer on the front with my 255.35 tires. Have 275.35 on the rear and no problem in 3 years of driving. Moved this setup from my lease ended 2013 onto the new 2016 and swapped the new wheels/tires onto the car I turned in. Salesman had it done for me while I signed the papers.

#10 ·
Yes just get a small spacer. My 20's slightly rubbed on a hard corner. It rubbed until it rubbed no more. but mine where do to the ballast mounting area I chose for the HID's. Figured that out down the road. I would just run them and get a spacer if it rubs bad on corners. And a heat gun would work real well with the fender wells. Just drive for a couple days to see where they are rubbing and hit it with a heat gun. Should work really well and not noticeable at all. I was going to do the same until I figured out why mine where rubbing.

You have to expect these types of things when going custom. But there is normally a remedy for most. And I think those wheels look nice on the car.

#11 · (Edited)
Hey guys, thanks for the help with it and the compliments, its not actually rubbing inside, its out more in the middle at the rear of the wheel well, hard to explain but visualize turning left about halfway is where the tread comes into contact with the liner, its again the combo of 235/40 tires and the offset change of 12mm. Losing one or the other would probably fix it. MikeSul, just checking willtheyfit.com shows the 255/35 almost the same diameter as the stock 225/40, while the 235/40 is 5mm taller all around, damn sooo close but soo far as well.

Tire girl is gonna talk to the wheel rep to see if a swap to the higher offset is do-able, if not I will make em work, just gonna take some "adjustments" to the liner positioning. Used to manage a bodyshop, so im full of ways to persuade them to fit, just didnt want to go down that route if i didnt need to! Again live and learn, Ill post back up with what happens, and when I figure out a way to make em work for others to learn from!

#12 · (Edited)
Hey Psyclist you are fine and you should talk to people that know a thing or two about wheels and tires and how to properly fit them before jumping out and changing your wheels

First thing have you driven the car or just turned the wheel to look for rubbing?
18X8 ET30 is not a problem and would not create any rubbing Stock wheel on the coupe is ET32 so you're only 2mm off , normally you should also be ok with your 235/40/18 however the Conti are know to run a little wide and have a square shoulder so they're more "meaty" . If you look at Mikesul setup he has no issues and the offset is more aggressive.

You should also know that taller tires will typically have slight rubbing on the inner fender protection felt and only on full lock when backing up even on stock wheels and is not an issue , I used to run 215/50/17 winters on my stock wheels for my ATS sedan and a bunch of BMWs 3 series before with same results

My setup on the ATS is much more aggressive as I have 18x9 ET35 with very fat Yokohama tires 235/40/18 and I'm lowered on Eibach , I had a slight rub on the fenders which was fixed with a slight rolling and alignment

I believe you're also in Montreal let me know if you need some help

#13 ·
Hey Jakb, yeah we had discussed a few of these things, no I havent driven it at all, just a test fit seeing if/where it was rubbing, its good at either end of its turning radius, again just about halfway through the turn it rubs on the (looking at the wheel) right side down at the bottom almost. I do plan on doing an alignment for sure, but thats not gonna change wheel position really, Id rather see if they will swap to the 40 offset, and if not I will take em as is, and make em work. Im in Peterborough, so about 6 hours haha, I appreciate the offer though!

Do like the look of em for sure though, cant wait to get em on when the warmer weather comes back! Ill let ya know what they do and how I make out though. Thanks folks

#14 ·
I think you missed the point of my previous post ,
Even with ET40 it will be the same , just at a spot 1/4 inch more inwards its because of tire size not offset and that's why Mike is able to run his 255/35 with no issues even though his wheels are larger and poke out more
however its nothing to worry about and the only time you hear it is full lock mostly in reverse

#15 ·
So should I go with the stock size tire on the offset wheel? will drop 5.5mm approx of the radius of the wheel. Or live with it as is, and "adjust" the liner as needed? Crazy how tight the tolerances are on this car, too bad we dont get a little more wheel well, oh well I love the the alpha platform anyways. I know part of it is paranoia , just want things working well on 'er.

#18 ·
Haha, I think I am making a bigger deal out of it than needed, just wanted everything right with this setup, as my last car had some rubbing issues because I over sized it as well (only at full lock) alright Ill call em and just go with this setup, save the hassle.

#22 ·
Not on yet, waiting for the roads to clear up a little more. Snow supposed to be back next week, itching to get em on though! youre looking to go 18x10 on the rear eh? SO wide! Hows the coupe working our for ya!? beauty car. I will definitely post up pics once the wheels go on, Car isnt lowered and dont think im gonna go that way with this car, fairly low already and want clearance in the snow. Ill just deal with the wheel gap, haha and try to ignore it.

#23 ·
Loving the coupe , the 2015 is a surprisingly a much better car in so many ways then my 2014 ,
I will be installing the Eibach springs in a couple of weeks and have my 18x9 Konigs ready to go with almost new Michelin PS2 245/40/18s mounted that i got for dirt cheap

However one of my wheels has a small bend thanks to our QC roads It holds air no problem but unfortunately is not repairable due to the wheel design , its been like this for 2 years now and I'm still debating if I replace it or go with new wheels all together , if I do so I like your wheels but want larger in the back and they are only offered in 18x10

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.