Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Turbo MPG

5K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  DomsATS 
#1 ·
Hello guys,

Just recently bought a CPO 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD Luxury. I love the car, and bought it with the anticipation of getting 23-25 mpg consistently... especially on premium gas. I'm coming from a lifted Wrangler that got 15.5 mpg, but on regular, so I know how it goes. I'm not complaining. The car is great. But I'm consistently getting 19/20 mpg in 3 fill-ups thus far, and I'm not beating on it. I'm also driving a little bit of highway.

What's the real world mpg in this thing guys? Surely it can't be this bad. I'm worse than EPA, with some highway use. Granted I'm using the heated seats and steering wheel pretty frequently, but still.

Thanks

Dan

#2 ·
I don't know where you are located but if it is cold enough that you need your seats and steering wheel heat on then it is cold enough to cause MPG to drop ESPECIALLY if there are a lot of short trips involved. Excessive idling is particularly bad for mileage and not good for the engine either. In cold weather (central IL) I usually remote start my ATS on the way to the garage because it takes about 15-20 seconds to drop to base idle and it has dropped by the time I get in the car and get the seatbelt in place. I then drive at moderate throttle and speed for a couple of miles to get the fluids up to a reasonable temperature. I see a minor drop in winter (close to 2 MPG) but even running to the nearby village to pick up the mail is a 10 mile round trip so I don't have any really short trips.

Cold fluids in the powertrain have higher viscosity when cold and again short trips compound the mileage loss due to this since the fluids will rarely reach normal operating temperature.

The combination of lights, various heaters, defroster, HVAC blower, etc. put a pretty decent load on the alternator and with short trips it is also working hard to recharge the battery from the large startup drain so those also contribute to a drop in operating efficiency. In some areas winter fuel blends likely further reduce mileage and since BTU content of ethanol is lower than gasoline the higher the blend the greater the fuel consumption.

Make sure your tires are at proper pressure since pressure drops with decreased temperature.

Reactions: DavidATS
#4 ·
It all depends on your road and driving condition and driving style. I used to live in Honolulu, most of my trips were short, with many stops in between due to stop signs, lights, cross roads, etc, and my average MPG was 14 MPG! Then I moved to the mainland. I drove from California to North Carolina, and my average speed was above 75-80 MPH, and my average MPG was above 30 MPG. And on top of it, there is your driving style.

#13 ·
2015 ATS Turbo RWD Standard 11K,12 months 29.5 mostly HWY 93 octane would hit 30 MPG but tough to keep under 70+ with the exception of ride quality with RFs excellent car. I notice Caddy has bumped up base Turbo price by 2G for 2016 getting ready for the 2017-2018 smaller version to compete with Audi A3 and Benz CLA to start at 30K+ moving ATS to 40K+[2.0 to be standard base engine] CTS already over 50K+ with 2.0 Turbo as base engine.Just Saying!

#23 ·
The 34.7 mpg resulted in a +2 mpg after a slight leaning and torque management reduction with HPTuners. Thnisbone way only at 60 mph for an hour. This time I had a slight tailwind instead of a headwind and 15F degrees cooler
what did you change in TM that had an impact on mpg?

Reactions: NormV
#24 ·
I check my MPG on every tank.. I have pencil whipped it on long trips and the calculated vs math is pretty close. I have a 12 mile run to dang near any place I go as the town I live in doesn't have a Wally World, Lowes, Home Deport, restaurants, auto parts or major grocery store. My avg is 24 to 28 depending on hard a I beat on it. Also, I run in Sport mode most of the time and Tour mode on long trips, if that would make a difference. If I would slow to 60/65 mph it would be higher. But, the road speed limit is 75 here and most of the time I run 80. On long trips I run 30+ mpg and if I get a REAL tank of gas, no ethanol, it's is almost a given that I will get 2+ mpg more at the same speed. I usually run the speed limit plus 5 on long trips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.