Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Key fob replacement?

44K views 47 replies 23 participants last post by  Mauricewhite 
#1 ·
I recently misplaced one of my two ATS keys and at this point I'm pretty convinced the one I lost is gone for good. I don't like the idea of only having one car key so the next time I bring my car in for service I'm going to ask for a replacement key. Is this something the dealer can do on the spot or will I need to let them know ahead of time? Also, does anyone have a clue as to ballpark what a replacement will cost? I know with this fancy electronic key it probably won't be cheap and I could really kick myself for losing my extra key :thepan:

#4 ·
ebay might work....but there are several generations of this key that look exactly the same but are not internally....just bite the bullet...i'd hate to see you waste $50 or $100 on ebay just to have to spend $200 to $250 anyway....plus you are looking at another $50 to $100 for the key blade which are laser cut and not all dealers invested in the machine to make these so they order them so it might take a few days to get ......also there is labor because the procedure for a lost key is to delete all keys from the cars brain in order to deactivate the lost key so it cannot be used against you, this is in case you didn't lose it but it was stolen, this is also to reset the car to be ready for key #1 and #2.....also if you program at home you can use one key to program the other but if you have seat memory they will not work right, because the car can remember 8 keys if memory serves, but only 1 and 2 will work right with driver memory...so if you ebay assuming you get the right key and program at home the new key will be #3 ....#1 or #2 will still be out in the wild and one of your driver memory buttons will not relate to a key

#5 ·
yeah there are definitely different fobs, but but I think as long as you have the correct FCC ID it should be correct. Dealer should be able to get that from the VIN, but again a lot of assuming on my part so it might be better to work over the money to the dealer. I'm pretty cheap though lol. I probably wouldn't even have the second key cut.

#14 ·
Sorry I was not trying to be testy or snide. I use the app all the time and thought I would point that out because people may not think about that. That said OP I do not think I would bother getting a key cut for the new fob especialy if was going to be a spare.

#19 ·
YES!

I locked my Corvette fob in the hatch... Still technically in the car, but I could not get in the car.
AAA couldn't get a locksmith who would open the car. My wife drove 120 miles with the spare fob.
I now carry a spare key in my wallet.

I am sure the same story can be told about the ATS.

I haven't read the ATS fob program instructions, but if like the Corvette, you need the key to program the fobs.

#20 ·
yes you do need the key...you have to turn the tumbler rapidly 5 or so times in a certain time frame with the car in accessory mode...its something obscure like that, no joke....i would still have it done at the dealer if its anything other than a standard...because the home procedure will make it key #3 invalidating the driver memory associated with the lost key (#1 or #2) the dealer will delete all keys and reprogram them to #1 and #2 so everything in the car works as it should...if a standard do it hat home this car doesn't have driver memory

#25 ·
Can anyone elaborate on this? I get the concept that "Key 1" is missing and a new key I program myself will be "Key 3" but what is the downside to having a Key 3? I know Key 1 is gone for good. I'm not worried about someone finding it then finding my car and using it to steal it.

----------

Just a note that the part number for the keyfob does not include the key, if you just buy the fob it doesn't even have a top or keyring.

Edit: The keyfob only part number is GM# 22856930
I noticed there are two part numbers for the metal key. One is "coded" the other is "uncoded." What does this mean?

^ 6 has 2 part numbers.

Part Number: 20765513 = Key Uncoded

Part Number: 25962393 = Key Coded

#26 ·
I believe the only issue with having a #3 and not a #1 is your seat recall position 1 will not work (automatic) based on it recognizing the key #1 fob. This is only important if you have 2 drivers and want the convenience of it adjusting based on the persons fob.

I believe coded is for cars with ignition keys which the ATS does not use. Uncoded should work fine in the door locks but I would look for someone who can give you a definite on that because I'm not 100% sure.

#27 ·
There is only one driver so that's not an issue. I thought it was the "1" and "2" buttons on the top of the driver's side door that controlled seat memory. I didn't know it had anything to do with the key FOB. Also, if anyone has more information about coded vs uncoded keys that would be great.

#28 ·
You are right about the buttons on the drivers door, the fobs can match them and recalls them automatically so you don't have to hold the door button to move to the selected position this includes the exit position if you have it set. One driver no worries.

#33 ·
Key gets cut from vin, same as the dealer does. I've heard some locksmiths can cut the laser cut keys but I don't know either way. There will also be a charge to cut the key, maybe the coded key is also more expensive? I know when we order the keys for the camaro recall they have the option of coming cut or not.

#36 ·
So I bought an OEM key fob off Ebay and programmed it myself. Cost me $75 and it works fine. The only issues (and it's not really an issue) is that the keys I now have are linked to the cars as Key 2 and Key 3. Is there any way I can reprogram one of them to be "Key 1" without going through the dealer? What if I keep reprogramming one of the keys until I go through all 12 (I think it's 12) possible key #'s... will the 13th program revert to Key 1?

#38 ·
I bought one as a spare about a year ago and followed the programming instructions in the manual. For a while I thought I bricked the car because it went completely dead; no dash, no CUE screen, no nothing. Plus the fob wasn't programmed. I figured the instructions were wrong and was going to have the dealer either do it or come up with proper instructions the next time I took it in. But I still haven't had a reason to take it in.

#42 ·
I bought my 2014 ATS with an 50% in advance and 50% after 2 years and the dealer gave me one key fob and kept the second, last year I was in a hurry so I took off my clothes with the key fob in my jeans and throw them in the washing machine in 15 minutes I heard my car horn I went out to find the car running and the trunk open then it hits me I ran to the washing machine to find my fob soooooo clean I tried use it but it was dead I went to the dealer and the said I need new one it costed me 330$

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.