2.0T vs 3.6
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 67
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, 2.0T vs 3.6 in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Hi Everyone, I'm looking at picking up a 2013 ATS... I have driven the 2.0T but not the 3.6 yet.. ...
  1. #1
    thedead is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0 Premium RWD
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    29
    Posts
    104

    2.0T vs 3.6

    Hi Everyone,

    I'm looking at picking up a 2013 ATS... I have driven the 2.0T but not the 3.6 yet.. I will drive the 3.6 on Tuesday.

    I really like the way the 2.0T handled, but it was a bit slow for me...Is there a big difference with 50HP more in the 3.6? I'm coming from a 250HP Altima and it seemed fasted.

    I *think* the 3.6 should be more reliable considering its in many more cars, and not a brand new engine...Would I be right?

    Thanks

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Speedhunter's Avatar
    Speedhunter is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 3.6
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    101

    Re: 2.0T vs 3.6

    If the turbo felt slow, don't expect much from the 3.6.
    donavo likes this.

  4. #3
    ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    In the middle of water!
    Posts
    4,232

    Re: 2.0T vs 3.6

    3.6 liter V6 is a little faster, but not a lot. Furthermore, the V6 adds more weight on the front end of the car, therefore the V6 ATS can be a little imbalanced compared to the 2.0 liter turbo ATS. But again not a lot. There are few people that can realize it.

    With a simple software tune for 2.0 liter turbo, which costs less than $500, 2.0 liter turbo outperforms the V6. On the other side, there is a new supercharger kit for the 3.6 liter V6. How these mods affect your warranty, I don't know!
    rustybear3 and duneless like this.

  5. #4
    jhatfie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS4 Performance 3.6L, 2014 Jeep GC EcoDiesel
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Kent, WA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    54

    Re: 2.0T vs 3.6

    The 3.6L will be a bit faster but the delivery of the V6 is more linear so it does not really feel faster. The 2.0T has more power accessible if you are willing to tune though. I have tuned my turbo Legacy GT, Mazdaspeed6, A4 and GLI in the past and it turns them into totally different beasts. That being said, I decided this time around I did not want to tune, so I preferred the response of the V6.

  6. #5
    donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, Unite
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,163

    Re: 2.0T vs 3.6

    im surprised OP didnt think the 2.0 was faster than an altima

  7. #6
    thedead is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0 Premium RWD
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    29
    Posts
    104

    Re: 2.0T vs 3.6

    I'm willing to tune; however, I have never had a turbo/tune before. Can they be detected by the dealer? I saw some larges posts on the forum i.e. 26 pages, and didn't have the time to got through it right now. What kind of results can I expect?

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    im surprised OP didnt think the 2.0 was faster than an altima
    Altima stock was 5.2 on the 0-60 - in all fairness I did have a cold air intake.
    ATS 2.0T - 7.7
    ATS 3.6 - 5.5

    at least from what I can see online

  8. #7
    ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    In the middle of water!
    Posts
    4,232

    Re: 2.0T vs 3.6

    ATS 2.0T is much faster than that! A RWD should be around 5.8.

  9. #8
    tex2670 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): IS250AWD
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    114

    Re: 2.0T vs 3.6

    Quote Originally Posted by thedead View Post
    Hi Everyone,

    I'm looking at picking up a 2013 ATS... I have driven the 2.0T but not the 3.6 yet.. I will drive the 3.6 on Tuesday.

    I really like the way the 2.0T handled, but it was a bit slow for me...Is there a big difference with 50HP more in the 3.6? I'm coming from a 250HP Altima and it seemed fasted.

    I *think* the 3.6 should be more reliable considering its in many more cars, and not a brand new engine...Would I be right?

    Thanks
    A 250 HP Altima? So--you mean the V6?

    Car and Driver pegs the current Altima, with 270 HP at 0-60 of 6.1. Edmunds clocked the 2013 2.0T 6.3 seconds.

    So--if you have a 250 HP Altima, I'm guessing it's the prior generation, so I'm not sure how fast it is, but I can't imagine it's faster than a new one. So if it "felt" faster, it may not *actually* be much faster. Maybe the 4-turbo vs. the V6 feels different?

  10. #9
    jhatfie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS4 Performance 3.6L, 2014 Jeep GC EcoDiesel
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Kent, WA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    54

    Re: 2.0T vs 3.6

    Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    ATS 2.0T is much faster than that! A RWD should be around 5.8.
    Yeah I remember seeing several reviews stating 5.8-6.0 0-60 for the ATS 2.0T and the 3.6L AWD was stated to do 5.2 second 0-60 over at TopSpeed.com.

  11. #10
    carpenter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS Black Raven 3.6 AWD
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Age
    39
    Posts
    619

    Re: 2.0T vs 3.6

    If you are willing to tune I think it's a no brainer to go with the 2.0T. I went with the 3.6 because I don't want to monkey around with a tune on a new car that's under warranty so the more power I can get out of the box, the better. I know a lot of people will tune and many will never experience any issues or worry about bringing it in for an issue. I'm a bit more of a worry wart though and like to keep things unchanged mechanically. I also like the sound of the 3.6.

    Performance wise the rough numbers should be more like 5.4 0-60 and 14.0 1/4 mile for the 3.6 vs 5.9 and 14.4 on the 2.0T so significant advantages from the factory, but so much potential with the turbo. 5.2 0-60 would be a factory freak.

  12. #11
    thedead is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0 Premium RWD
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    29
    Posts
    104

    Re: 2.0T vs 3.6

    Quote Originally Posted by carpenter View Post
    If you are willing to tune I think it's a no brainer to go with the 2.0T. I went with the 3.6 because I don't want to monkey around with a tune on a new car that's under warranty so the more power I can get out of the box, the better. I know a lot of people will tune and many will never experience any issues or worry about bringing it in for an issue. I'm a bit more of a worry wart though and like to keep things unchanged mechanically. I also like the sound of the 3.6.

    Performance wise the rough numbers should be more like 5.4 0-60 and 14.0 1/4 mile for the 3.6 vs 5.9 and 14.4 on the 2.0T so significant advantages from the factory, but so much potential with the turbo. 5.2 0-60 would be a factory freak.
    I would tune if I can confirm there is a 0% chance of detection at the dealer...Like you I don't want to throw away my warranty.

    The other thing the 3.6 has is the rear LSD...Does it make much of a difference? I drive in snow once in a while if that matters.

    Ya, those times sound more accurate for 0-60, I must have seen the wrong #s.

  13. #12
    sillyme is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None yet
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Fresno Ca.
    Posts
    9

    Re: 2.0T vs 3.6

    I tested a 2.0 turbo and a 3.6. I took both of them out on the freeway. I floored both of them at about 60 MPH. The 2.0 turbo scooted pretty good but the 3.6 felt faster. It had more pull on the top end.
    The 2.0 will be a little better on gas, but I hear it requires Premium fuel. That brings the both of them a little closer in fuel cost.
    The 2.0 is cheaper to buy though.

  14. #13
    thedead is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0 Premium RWD
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    29
    Posts
    104

    Re: 2.0T vs 3.6

    Quote Originally Posted by sillyme View Post
    I tested a 2.0 turbo and a 3.6. I took both of them out on the freeway. I floored both of them at about 60 MPH. The 2.0 turbo scooted pretty good but the 3.6 felt faster. It had more pull on the top end.
    The 2.0 will be a little better on gas, but I hear it requires Premium fuel. That brings the both of them a little closer in fuel cost.
    The 2.0 is cheaper to buy though.
    Good point, the cost is about 2500-3000 more for me to get the 3.6. I think the only way I would make the jump is if the LSD is really worth it.

  15. #14
    ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    In the middle of water!
    Posts
    4,232

    Re: 2.0T vs 3.6

    Quote Originally Posted by thedead View Post
    I would tune if I can confirm there is a 0% chance of detection at the dealer...Like you I don't want to throw away my warranty.

    The other thing the 3.6 has is the rear LSD...Does it make much of a difference? I drive in snow once in a while if that matters.

    Ya, those times sound more accurate for 0-60, I must have seen the wrong #s.
    LSD depends on the trim, not the engine. The premium trim comes with LSD. You can get the Premium trim with 2.0 turbo or the 3.6.

    Also if you get the manual transmission, it comes with LSD too no matter what trim you get. Please notice that manual transmission is available just for the turbo engine. Another reason to buy 2.0 liter turbo if you like manual transmissions, which comes with LSD and HD differential at no additional cost!

  16. #15
    thedead is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0 Premium RWD
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    29
    Posts
    104

    Re: 2.0T vs 3.6

    Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    LSD depends on the trim, not the engine. The premium trim comes with LSD. You can get the Premium trim with 2.0 turbo or the 3.6.

    Also if you get the manual transmission, it comes with LSD. Please notice that manual transmission is available just for the turbo engine. Another reason to buy 2.0 liter turbo if you like manual transmissions, which comes with LSD and HD differential at no additional cost!
    Great news! I'm looking at the 2.0T Auto Premium RWD

    Edit: is it true that the LSD is not really a real LSD? i.e. just a computer thing using the brakes?

    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...l#post10529097

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting