Moving from a CTS-V to an ATS?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Moving from a CTS-V to an ATS? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the CTS-V forum, but I wanted to see if ...
    Versatrak is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 3.6 Premium, 2013 SRX AWD Luxury

Moving from a CTS-V to an ATS?

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the CTS-V forum, but I wanted to see if anyone has made a similar move or had any thoughts.

I currently have a 2011 CTS-V Coupe and love it, though my lease is up in a few months and she'll be due for some new tires soon. I originally wanted an ATS-V, but that's still a little ways away, so I'm trying to figure out what I should do.

I really like the ATS, but as would be expected, I wish it had more power. I know I would be fine with the 3.6L V6, but it would take some time to get used to it. The other thing that I love about my V is the microfiber inserts and the more upscale interior. The ATS interior is great, but here and there I just think it's a little cheap.

So I'm wondering if anyone made the move from a CTS-V to the ATS. If so, how was it? What'd you miss? And would you do it again?

If you haven't, as ATS owners, I'm wondering what you think I should do. I could buy the V and hold on to it for another year, but worry it'll be worth even less when the new V models come out next year. Or I could just get a shorter lease on a new ATS and get the V afterwards.

Thanks for your thoughts and help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Re: Moving from a CTS-V to an ATS?

I know at least two people who switched from V2 to ATS. The power was their main complain when they made the move. But it is more about what you personally like and want to have in a car? As you know, to have fun with V2, you normally need to push the gas to release 556 HP, but with ATS you can have fun even at lower speeds, when you are driving in city. ATS is a light, tossable car.

As for the cheapness, I am going to respectfully disagree. Those chrome plated, plastic buttons in CTS is cheap. ATS in its own class, as a 36-50k car, is a very classy, expensive looking car.

Also you might want to get the premium trim, since it is the only trim that comes with adaptive suspension system, the same suspension system you have in your V.

I have leased my ATS and will be switching to ATS-V or V sport when they come out. ATS is a great car, but it could be even greater, if it had some extra power.
    rustybear3 likes this.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

It's honestly quite personal a decision like this, go test drive an ATS and see how you like it. I personally think you'd be nuts, I think the Gen 2 CTS V is a cooler more menacing looking car, and the power...oh the power! I wouldn't but that's just me

Bryce2.0T is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Standard

I love mine. I was debating going CTS V after this but a lot of people have mentioned that the CTS feel way too heavy now

DiabloMike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

User chrispy here went from a CTSV to a 2.0T ATS...and has seemed pretty pleased thus far.
    I know there are at least one or two others around here...

Bryce, I rode in my bosses V last week, and it felt heavy...as a passenger!
    Not to mention the rear end that sounded like it was eating itself alive I as we drove.

I love the V, but IMO the ATS is a more usable daily driver and has a better chassis

Also, the mileage complaints from ATS owners probably look like winning lottery numbers to current V drivers
    Mike Litsch
    DiabloSport Inc.
    Diablosport.com

Johnm05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T
    If you do decide on the ATS I would go with the 2.0T. The 2015 is going I have 295ft lb which is more than the 3.6L at way lower rpm. The 2.0T IMO feels stronger in everyday driving due to flatter torque delivery. And if you do decide the power isn't enough you can always get more out of it vs the 3.6 you are stuck.
    rustybear3 likes this.

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Absolutely agree with the posters here^^^^^ Aside from track driving, I can't imagine why you'd need more power in your everyday driving than the ATS 2.0T provides. I mean, I've never had a Cadillac where I literally find I frequently don't have to brake at all entering curves; and on the contrary have great fun accelerating out them do to it's superior suspension and handling. I've driven the new CTS a couple times and even though it's a smoother drive, I find the handling somewhat sluggish and less responsive than the ATS. I also did not like the interior nearly as much as I do my ATS. IMO the CTS still needs some refinement and does have the potential to eventually be a better mid size Cadillac, which is what it is intended to be.

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators
    As for the cheapness, I am going to respectfully disagree. Those chrome plated, plastic buttons in CTS is cheap. ATS in its own class, as a 36-50k car, is a very classy, expensive looking car. Also you might want to get the premium trim, since it is the only trim that comes with adaptive suspension system, the same suspension system you have in your V. I have leased my ATS and will be switching to ATS-V or V sport when they come out. ATS is a great car, but it could be even greater, if it had some extra power.
    Don't mistake the interiors of the base level 2nd gen CTS with the upper trim levels or that of the V.

When I have my 2012 premium AWD coupe, I couldn't understand the "cheap" interior comments, that is until I got a base CTS loaner. The interior in my 3.6 Coupe was much nicer, but even that had the fake brushed aluminum plastic on the console. The V's have the piano black interiors and the optional Midnight Sapele wood dresses it up a bit more.

Here are pictures of my interior.

As for gas mileage, no arguments there. Horrible, I am lucky if I get 14 mpg and coupled with a small gas tank for such a car, I am at the gas station every 3rd or 4th day, but I knew that going in. You don't buy a V and worry about gas mileage.

Make no mistake, I wouldn't trade my V for anything. I have loved cars in the past, but this car is just something else. Yes the brute power is overkill, but the instant torque is intoxicating, even when not cruising triple digit speeds.

The V is like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Yes it's heavy, but quite composed as a daily driver, although you can feel that it's wound tight and just waiting for you to dip into it. When you do it becomes a snarling and snorting beast of a car.

It makes me feel like a teenager again.
    tdyguy2k and EVH5150 like this.

db_outlaw is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I find this post ironic because I'm trying to go from an ATS to a V.

Actually before the ATS I had my head/mind/soul set on a V sedan. Had one lined up from a private seller but the deal fell through. After that perfect match, everything else I looked at paled in comparison (or was out of my budget). Then I read Pfadt had a 400hp ATS and did some number crunching. Decided 400hp would be enough for a DD. I did some mods to my ATS 2.0T but the power just still isn't enough for me so I've been window shopping used V coupes the past week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by db_outlaw
    I find this post ironic because I'm trying to go from an ATS to a V. Actually before the ATS I had my head/mind/soul set on a V sedan. Had one lined up from a private seller but the deal fell through. After that perfect match, everything else I looked at paled in comparison (or was out of my budget). Then I read Pfadt had a 400hp ATS and did some number crunching. Decided 400hp would be enough for a DD. I did some mods to my ATS 2.0T but the power just still isn't enough for me so I've been window shopping used V coupes the past week or so.
    Nothing against the ATS, but the V is a whole other animal and it's just fine as a DD as long as you are prepared for it's appetite for fuel.

You also need to be prepared for winter. The summer tires are suicidal if there is so much as a snowflake on the ground. I personally didn't drive mine during the winter months but many on the V forums have gotten through winters just fine with a good set if snow tires.

btmasta is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

I got to drive a 2014 CTS V-sport last night (GM's Ambassador Program)

I could not live with that great of a power decrease.

That being said the ATS handles waaaaay better, although the V-sport isn't exactly a V

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

exactly what I was getting at, you can't compare this it's something you have to go out a drive and see for yourself. I wouldn't do it though haha! the CTSV is just cool, and savage

db_outlaw is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Just test drove a used '11 V coupe and I was a bit disappointed. Granted I didn't drive it like I stole it and maybe I needed to to experience the visercal thrill. Yes, it felt heavy. Brake slowly. Slow to accelerate if you're driving normally. The V did turn heads. 2 looks/smiles at the gas station and one Honda ricer rev at the stoplight. Driving the V reminded me of my g8gt. A little big (one could argue "roomy") and a little slosh feeling but oomph when you want it. At highway speeds, mashing the gas just lets you know there's plenty of power on tap.

To put this in better context. my ATS has an aggressive tune and really behaves like an on/off switch so its easy to get that exhilarating rush when you want it.

So did I buy the V? No but I'm neither for it or against it. If the dealer comes crawling back with my offer of $37k, I'll give it some consideration. I was really surprised I wasn't simply blown away with the V. I wonder if that's a testament to either how well the ATS is made or perhaps something's amiss with that V. It sounded mechanically fine.

Quote Originally Posted by db_outlaw View Post
    Just test drove a used '11 V coupe and I was a bit disappointed. Granted I didn't drive it like I stole it and maybe I needed to to experience the visercal thrill. Yes, it felt heavy. Brake slowly. Slow to accelerate if you're driving normally. The V did turn heads. 2 looks/smiles at the gas station and one Honda ricer rev at the stoplight. Driving the V reminded me of my g8gt. A little big (one could argue "roomy") and a little slosh feeling but oomph when you want it. At highway speeds, mashing the gas just lets you know there's plenty of power on tap.

To put this in better context. my ATS has an aggressive tune and really behaves like an on/off switch so its easy to get that exhilarating rush when you want it.

So did I buy the V? No but I'm neither for it or against it. If the dealer comes crawling back with my offer of $37k, I'll give it some consideration. I was really surprised I wasn't simply blown away with the V. I wonder if that's a testament to either how well the ATS is made or perhaps something's amiss with that V. It sounded mechanically fine.
    Hmm. I can't explain your experience.

I have driven a 2.0T ATS and while it's quick enough, I still stand by my original comments. the "on/off" you mention is exactly what I feel with mine. I'll acknowledge the "heavy" feeling as it is a much heavier car than the ATS and it does feel more tossable.

The 2012+ models got software updates to improve shifting, but I don't think that would have made a difference in your case.

Tadpole24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I drive a 2010 V and my wife has a ATS 2.0T RWD. There is no way I could go to the ATS. It is much smaller I am 5' 10" @ 180 and it is a tight fit not leg room length but over all leg position.
    As far as power low, mid, and upper is all much better in the V. Tip in the ATS is slow, until you get a few RPMs and a bit of boost it is a dog. After you get into boost it is ok much less power and it would be unacceptable in a 45k+ car.
    The V is louder but that is expected, the ATS is very quiet. I also like the tech in the ATS better but it is 5 years newer. The ATS is nice to drive but the V is amazing.
    Right now I would look at the V sport as a stop gap until the new V is out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.