ATS performance
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, ATS performance in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Im shopping for a new car and really love everything about the ats except for one thing...the car is kinda ...
    jbyrd850 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

ATS performance

Im shopping for a new car and really love everything about the ats except for one thing...the car is kinda slow. I have yet to test drive one but Ive seen the numbers 0-60 and quarter mile times and am a little disappointed. I used to have a 2006 mustang gt and while the car is no where near what the ats is I was just hoping that for 40,000+ I could have a car that looked amazing, handled amazing, AND was at least faster than the mustang.

I dont get how Cadillac is trying to make the car superior to the 3 series but then doesnt address the powertrain on a level where it can compete. If cadillac could somehow get an extra 30ish hp and 30ish torque in the 3.6 this car would be a dream. With as much money as cadillac spent on the drivetrain you would think they would have given us more power, this is a gm car right.

Does anyone know if the ats is going to be getting a vsport version in the future? I wont be able to afford the actual v and nor a 335 with the options I want. Or can anyone comment on the acceleration and power of the car. I know it handles like a dream but are you bored with the power?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carpenter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS Black Raven 3.6 AWD

Re: ATS performance

I'm a little lost here on what you are expecting. You want a great looking car that would be at or near the top of it's class in handling, fast enough acceleration to compete with a 335, loaded with features and still come $10-$15 less than a comparable 335? If all you are looking for is 30 HP then look into getting a tune on a 2.0T and you will have your 350HP. For that matter you can get a 3.6 tune and be pretty close to what you are looking for.

DavidATS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 3.6 RWD Premium

If you want more acceleration than the ATS has to offer you should buy something else.
    TheCaptain and Speedhunter like this.

DiabloMike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

I would suggest a 2.0T with some well chosen upgrades over a 3.6
    Ragtop 99 likes this.
    Mike Litsch
    DiabloSport Inc.
    Diablosport.com

tex2670 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): IS250AWD

I test drove the 2.0T with AWD, and I thought it was pretty quick. Now--I didn't take it to the drag strip, and I'm currently driving an IS250AWD, which is not quick at all.

Comparing a Mustang GT to a Caddy ATS doesn't really make much sense to me, unless you just want to wait for the ATS-V. Caddy is a luxury car, so you are going to pay more for it--you can't compare the price of a Mustang to a Caddy, as they are just 2 totally different cars. I would suggest that the 2.0T competes very closely with the 328i (Caddy has more HP), and the 3.6 competes with the 335i.

You may want to consider the new Chevy SS.
    TheCaptain likes this.

Im not comparing the price of a mustang to a caddy. Im just saying that for 40-45k I just wish the car had a little more power. I dont expect the car to have everything in the world. This isnt a 100k car but I would definitely sacrifice some of the money gm spent on refining the chassis if I got some more power, just my opinion of course. Im not an engineer but I dont think it would have cost that much more to get more power into the car. Or just give us an ats v sport!! I think Im just gonna have to test drive the 3.6 and the 2.0 and then look into light modification. I just dont like the idea of voiding the warranty ;(

Quote Originally Posted by jbyrd850 View Post
    Im not comparing the price of a mustang to a caddy. Im just saying that for 40-45k I just wish the car had a little more power. I dont expect the car to have everything in the world. This isnt a 100k car but I would definitely sacrifice some of the money gm spent on refining the chassis if I got some more power, just my opinion of course. Im not an engineer but I dont think it would have cost that much more to get more power into the car. Or just give us an ats v sport!! I think Im just gonna have to test drive the 3.6 and the 2.0 and then look into light modification. I just dont like the idea of voiding the warranty ;(
    Like the power of a Chevy Volt? There's more to price than just power; otherwise, more people would get a Hemi Charger...
    ben.gators likes this.

DiabloMike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

if you have not yet driven an ATS, and it kinda sounds that way, please, drive one before you decide you'd give up some of the chassis refinements. That's what makes this car, and what keeps you happy as a driver.

Another thing to consider is weight. The ATS could surely use more power (everything could), but it feels especially quick and nimble due to it's light weight, which is also due largely to that amazing chassis
    I have long been a 'gimme a rwd V8, or nothing' kinda guy, but 50/50 weight distribution has given me new purpose in life, and this life long drag racer can't wait to get his current DD out to an autocross!
    TheCaptain likes this.
    Mike Litsch
    DiabloSport Inc.
    Diablosport.com

DavidATS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 3.6 RWD Premium

Interesting, I am the opposite, would not want to give up anything in the handling department to have more power. I always thought this was the problem with powerful American car chassis in the past, great at going straight, not as great around the corners or stopping. The fun of flooring it was lost when the corners came up. This was my first U.S. manufacturer car purchase because I never thought much of the driving dynamics and weight of U.S. sedans in the past. When looking at past small U.S. sedans they didn't do anything for me.

Also, it always seemed easy and lazy in the past to take a half a*s chassis, put a big motor in it and send it out, car couldn't do much besides go fast in a straight line but it sure was easy.

If you want a powerful sedan why don't you look at the SS?
    TheCaptain likes this.

SLA
    SLA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T 6MT, 05 LGT, 97 M3

High power and crappy chassis? Sounds like old GM

ep_83 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Black Raven 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T

Wait for the next gen Camaro SS. It will sit on the alpha platform. If you want something with more luxury go grab a G37.

Speedhunter is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS4 3.6

Im shopping for a new car and really love everything about the ats except for one thing...the car is kinda slow. I have yet to test drive one but Ive seen the numbers 0-60 and quarter mile times and am a little disappointed. I used to have a 2006 mustang gt and while the car is no where near what the ats is I was just hoping that for 40,000+ I could have a car that looked amazing, handled amazing, AND was at least faster than the mustang.

I dont get how Cadillac is trying to make the car superior to the 3 series but then doesnt address the powertrain on a level where it can compete. If cadillac could somehow get an extra 30ish hp and 30ish torque in the 3.6 this car would be a dream. With as much money as cadillac spent on the drivetrain you would think they would have given us more power, this is a gm car right.

Does anyone know if the ats is going to be getting a vsport version in the future? I wont be able to afford the actual v and nor a 335 with the options I want. Or can anyone comment on the acceleration and power of the car. I know it handles like a dream but are you bored with the power?
    Are you planning on drag racing or taking the ATS to the road course?
    That is the only way you will justify that the ATS is slow if you can drive the ATS to its limits at the track. Otherwise, you are not going to benefit from 0-60 times and quarter mile times with a daily driver.
    But if you want something fun for a daily driver that you will not get bored of with power and acceleration...try the STi or Mustang 5.0 V8.

Im not planning on dragging the car at all but I had a couple qualifications for my new car (im 26 btw)

New car has to have (in no particular order)

1.good looks- check....I love the way the ats looks on the outside
    2.quality interior/better build quality car overall- check...The interior in either red or black is one of the nicest interiors ive been in and the chassis from what ive read on this car is also superior to most
    3. faster than the mustang (preferably quite a bit faster but at least a little faster)- no check

I agree I do need to drive the ats though because Ive only sat in a couple and then seen them driving and read countless articles and reviews. I know what the times are. Even with the car not being the fastest its still my top choice right now. If caddy did what they did with the cts by making an ats v sport with the option to have just like the performance trim I'd be all over that.

bluecrayon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    To an extent, I agree with the op....as I get older I realize my requirements for a car are smoothness, quiet rattle free, great brakes and good quality. However, as much as the ats meets most of my requirements, I still wish it had a bit more power. I love the handling and great brakes but I think the drivetrain leaves a bit to be desired. For a 40-50k car of the year, I also wish it could've had 350-375 hp. I find I'm picky and I want more power and a little bit better tranny. I don't mean to sound unappreciative because I truly am happy to own this car but it's been in the shop several times and still have issues with creaky seats, stinky a/c, rough idle and a weird mid-rpm vibration. I may be in the minority but I expected a bit better from this car. As much as I desire awd, I'm already looking at the cts-vsport or ats-v.

Im not planning on dragging the car at all but I had a couple qualifications for my new car (im 26 btw)

New car has to have (in no particular order)

1.good looks- check....I love the way the ats looks on the outside
    2.quality interior/better build quality car overall- check...The interior in either red or black is one of the nicest interiors ive been in and the chassis from what ive read on this car is also superior to most
    3. faster than the mustang (preferably quite a bit faster but at least a little faster)- no check

I agree I do need to drive the ats though because Ive only sat in a couple and then seen them driving and read countless articles and reviews. I know what the times are. Even with the car not being the fastest its still my top choice right now. If caddy did what they did with the cts by making an ats v sport with the option to have just like the performance trim I'd be all over that.
    You just described an Audi S4.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by bluecrayon View Post
    To an extent, I agree with the op....as I get older I realize my requirements for a car are smoothness, quiet rattle free, great brakes and good quality. However, as much as the ats meets most of my requirements, I still wish it had a bit more power. I love the handling and great brakes but I think the drivetrain leaves a bit to be desired. For a 40-50k car of the year, I also wish it could've had 350-375 hp. I find I'm picky and I want more power and a little bit better tranny. I don't mean to sound unappreciative because I truly am happy to own this car but it's been in the shop several times and still have issues with creaky seats, stinky a/c, rough idle and a weird mid-rpm vibration. I may be in the minority but I expected a bit better from this car. As much as I desire awd, I'm already looking at the cts-vsport or ats-v.
    Under $50K luxury car with 350+ HP? That's a mighty short list....
    TheCaptain and Cuest like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.