Will the driver assist option detect pedestrians ?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bp044
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Will the driver assist option detect pedestrians ? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; The dealer says yes. The manual says no. Which is true ?...
    bp044 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 3.6 Premium

Will the driver assist option detect pedestrians ?

The dealer says yes. The manual says no. Which is true ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Camorri1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD
    Quote Originally Posted by bp044
    The dealer says yes. The manual says no. Which is true ?
    As a general rule, trust the manual over the dealer. The dealer and it's representatives have been known to say things that aren't even remotely true.

ben.gators is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Re: Will the driver assist option detect pedestrians ?

This is my observation during my one year ownership of the ATS performance with driver awareness package:

If the pedestrian is close enough the driver awareness package alarms me of that. A good example is when you are sitting behind the red light, and someone walks right in front of you.

But if the person is far from me, for example is 50 feet far and is crossing the street, the driver awareness doesn't sense him. But if it was a car crossing the road in 50 feet ahead of me, then the package alarms me of that. I would say my driver awareness package can detect pedestrians if they are close enough.

bp044 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 3.6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    This is my observation during my one year ownership of the ATS performance with driver awareness package:

If the pedestrian is close enough the driver awareness package alarms me of that. A good example is when you are sitting behind the red light, and someone walks right in front of you.

But if the person is far from me, for example is 50 feet far and is crossing the street, the driver awareness doesn't sense him. But if it was a car crossing the road in 50 feet ahead of me, then the package alarms me of that. I would say my driver awareness package can detect pedestrians if they are close enough.
    Thanks so much for the input. I do notice that in Volvo's version (not that I'm considering one) they go out of their way to call it "collision warning & pedestrian detection" -- then go on to add as an addendum that cyclists are included in that (for "front and rear automatic breaking") --big factor here in NYC. The ATS manual actually isn't as clear as I stated now that I read it-- although it definitely specifies "collision" and definitely does not explicitly include pedestrians and/or cyclists.

The 50 ft away vs. right in front distinction is a very helpful one as with regard to pedestrians I'm only looking for the latter in this context. Thanks so much for any and all info!
    ben.gators likes this.

Ancient Mariner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post

Exactly - mine works the same.

exbagboy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium White Diamond

Also, same here. If i am stop or going slow it will detect people around.

Quote Originally Posted by exbagboy View Post
    Also, same here. If i am stop or going slow it will detect people around.
    I believe it can detect people around even if you are going fast too. But please don't try this!

Quote Originally Posted by bp044 View Post
    The ATS manual actually isn't as clear as I stated now that I read it-- although it definitely specifies "collision" and definitely does not explicitly include pedestrians and/or cyclists.
    I would say Cadillac doesn't want any liability, therefore they have purposefully made it vague. In reality it can detect pedestrians and cyclists behind you when you are backing out from a parking spot, or when they are right in front of you when you want to move forward, which is very useful. But there are limitations to these awareness and assistant packages, mostly in terms of the distance. As a result Cadillac prefers to be conservative in its claims.

To me, it seems that both the manual and your dealer are correct! Under certain circumstances, as mentioned above, they can detect, but not in any condition. So it is a yes and no answer. Manufacture gives the more conservative answer because of liability issues, but the dealer advertises the more optimistic answer to sell its cars.

And Volvo's "collision warning & pedestrian detection" reminds me of this test:

tex2670 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): IS250AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Camorri1 View Post
    As a general rule, trust the manual over the dealer. The dealer and it's representatives have been known to say things that aren't even remotely true.
    If the there is a discrepancy between the manual and your dealer, manual ALWAYS wins.

db_outlaw is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Yes, it triggers on a pedestrian. Had it happen to me when I was pulling out of a parking spot (luckily at a crawl because it was a bad location and it started snowing). My seat vibrated and I was like WTH and then I saw some dude walking past my rear bumper.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.