3.6L AWD - Fuel Range Miles Qn
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, 3.6L AWD - Fuel Range Miles Qn in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; So I would like to know what you fellow 3.6L AWD owners are getting for fuel range mileage when you ...
    Speedhunter is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS4 3.6

3.6L AWD - Fuel Range Miles Qn

So I would like to know what you fellow 3.6L AWD owners are getting for fuel range mileage when you fill up your tank.

For instance, I have been filling up with E85 and been getting 270 miles for fuel range at the most. And by a doing the simple math that would be an equivalent of 16 MPG Highway.
    Even with a combo of E85 and 87 Octane I'm still getting about 240 miles for fuel range.

I know there will be some variances in results based on fuel grade or quality but would like to know what most of you are getting.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carpenter is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS Black Raven 3.6 AWD

Re: 3.6L AWD - Fuel Range Miles Qn

I don't check the range, but I get 20 MPG as noted by actual amount of fuel pumped and miles driven. That is pretty much dead on with what the car says (20.1MPG) so the range would be 320 miles. I fill up with a bit over 2 gallons left though so I get about 270 or so miles in between fill ups. I haven't paid attention to know if when the range is at 0 that is when the light comes on (2 gallons left) or if that is when you are supposed to be completely out of gas. If the range goes to 0 and there are still 2 gallons left in the tank (low fuel light comes on) you'd need to factor 14 gallons into your mileage estimate instead of 16.

I always run 89 octane, but we have winter blend here in the winter and I haven't owned my car long enough to drive it in the summer when we switch back to summer blend

^^ Interesting so far my car has indicated an average of 18MPG for fuel average on E85 and that is Highway driving.
    So does this indicate that the factory 26 MPG is a myth? that we should not expect in reality based on average driving of at least 10MPH over a speed limit of say 65MPH.

I wonder if rental cars are tuned differently to maximize fuel economy.

For instance, I rented a 2013 Buick Verano 2.4L 6speed auto and was seeing at least 422 miles for fuel range. I then bought the same model and year and filled it up at the same local gas station and couldn't get anywhere close to 422 miles of fuel range. I even tried other gas stations and was never close to 422 mile range but only getting 300 mile range. It drove me nuts until today.

ChevyRules is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac ATS Premium 3.6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Speedhunter View Post
    ^^ Interesting so far my car has indicated an average of 18MPG for fuel average on E85 and that is Highway driving.
    So does this indicate that the factory 26 MPG is a myth? that we should not expect in reality based on average driving of at least 10MPH over a speed limit of say 65MPH.
    That 26 MPG is on regular 87 octane gasoline.

E85 has less energy than gasoline and will get worse fuel economy. You end up spending more money annually on E85 over regular gasoline.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find....n=sbs&id=33155

Quote Originally Posted by Speedhunter View Post

I wonder if rental cars are tuned differently to maximize fuel economy.

For instance, I rented a 2013 Buick Verano 2.4L 6speed auto and was seeing at least 422 miles for fuel range. I then bought the same model and year and filled it up at the same local gas station and couldn't get anywhere close to 422 miles of fuel range. I even tried other gas stations and was never close to 422 mile range but only getting 300 mile range. It drove me nuts until today.
    I wouldn't say it'a myth, but the way a car is tested for fuel economy is pretty in depth now. This is how the EPA tests cars now. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml
    If you are driving 75 though, yeah I don't think you will ever see the estimated highway MPG the sticker states. That said I drive pretty light-footed and more highway than city and I still only get 20MPG. I don't get 22 as advertised for mixed. I think very few are getting the estimated MPG in both the 2.0T and 3.6. When I was up north on 55MPH highways and driving 60MPH I was getting about 28MPG

E85 on an ATS is supposed to be absolutely terrible for gas mileage.
    http://fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSear...TS&srchtyp=ymm
    Speedhunter likes this.

Fullmoon909 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 3.6

In Saudi Arabia with the aircon always on (it is 120-125 F) I am getting 9 liters for every 100 km

Quote Originally Posted by Fullmoon909 View Post
    I am getting 9 liters for every 100 km
    That's pretty damn good.. that's 26 MPG. Are you AWD?

USe-car is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS & 2012 Volt

I'm getting 24.0 and sometimes it jumps to 24.1 MPG. That is a lifetime overall MPG with my 3.6 V6 ATS. I use regular of what blend is available at the time. It is currently 10% ethanol. My engine pings at at about 1500 RPM's going up a small incline.

RxNotec is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6

http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/...ison-test.html
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byfuel/FFV2013.shtml

E85 you will always get less mileage. It burns hotter too.

I have averaged 19.6mpg so far and that is driving slightly hard once in awhile and mostly highway during the work week, city on the weekends. Only using 92 octane.

Yeah E85 will give you less MPG, actually it burns cooler. It's just cheaper on the pocket.

And I would think Saudi Arabia would have much better fuel grade/quality than what the US or other countries have.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
    That 26 MPG is on regular 87 octane gasoline.

E85 has less energy than gasoline and will get worse fuel economy. You end up spending more money annually on E85 over regular gasoline.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find....n=sbs&id=33155
    Thanks for the link . I like the cost comparison.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by RxNotec View Post
    Hmmm. I always heard E85 burns cooler in addition to cooling the engine more than gas before ignition.

oachalon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Peformance 3.6 AWD

My car is saying i average 18.6 mpg. When i fill up my tank it says 320 miles to empty roughly. I would say im 70/30 City/Highway. I do not drive my car easy. I had a rental 2.0T for a few days and i was getting worse gas mileage than my 3.6.

^^ I guess that is on pump gas, 87 Octane or so. And does anyone know if the Average fuel can be reset on the DIC?. I wonder why OnStar diagnostics show 23MPG on mine. But I guess that could be estimated Hwy Mpg by default

oachalon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Peformance 3.6 AWD

Correct 87 pump gas. Average fuel can be rest from the DIC. I don't remember the exact parameters, but i think once you have it up on the main screen you can just clear it.

Quote Originally Posted by oachalon View Post
    Correct 87 pump gas. Average fuel can be rest from the DIC. I don't remember the exact parameters, but i think once you have it up on the main screen you can just clear it.
    It can be in any of the 3 windows. Just select it and then just push in the middle right selector switch on the steering wheel. I have to press fairly firm to reset it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.