Any Buyers Remorse Based on the Size or Quality of the ATS?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Any Buyers Remorse Based on the Size or Quality of the ATS? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Any buyers of the 2013/2014 sedans have any buyers remorse due the smaller size of the ATS, both cabin and ...
    MSG C5 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Any Buyers Remorse Based on the Size or Quality of the ATS?

Any buyers of the 2013/2014 sedans have any buyers remorse due the smaller size of the ATS, both cabin and trunk? I really like the looks of the car and from my initial test drive, the performance and handling, however I'm a little spooked over the small back seat and trunk. In order to keep selling myself on the car, I keep reminding myself how few times I have had four people in my current business car and how few times I needed all of my trunk capacity.

The current GM recalls also have me a little concerned as well as the overall health of GM in comparison to other luxury brands.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PetrolHead is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 Standard Red Obsession 6MT

Re: Any Buyers Remorse Based on the Size or Quality of the ATS?

I've had none. Sure, the back seat is a little tight, but for the few times I take people back there, it's perfectly adequate. I come from a long string of hatchbacks, and was nervous about the trunk as well. I've found it to be surprisingly commodious. Not as good as my past hatches, but we've done a few surprise Costco runs with my ATS and I've never found it lacking.

GM is very different from the Cobalt days, and the ATS shows it. Seems like there were some build issues with earlier ATS models, but mine's a 2014 and it's been incredibly solid. I've had mostly German cars in my past, and the build quality of the ATS meets or exceeds them in every way. I have zero remorse with my car, and after having it 4 months, I just like it more and more each day.
    vwvr6tom likes this.

Thanks. I know GM has come a long way since my horrible run with them in the early 90s. At that time, I filed a lemon law complaint against GM for a 92' Chevrolet Lumina. The dealer then put me into a 1-year old "excutive driven" Pontiac Grand Prix GTP that had it's own set of issues and problems which resulted in me driving loaners most of the time. At that point, I swore of GM and promised the only GM product I would ever buy again would be a Corvette. I kept my promise and bought a new 2004 C5 Corvette convertible and have been very happy with it. Enough that I'm eyeballing a C7 Corvette Z06 in the upcoming years. Maybe it's because they have their own separate plant and development team.

However my current needs are for my next business sedan daily driver. After my Lumina/Grand Prix fiasco I moved to the Acura brand and have been there ever since. Now that I no longer fight midwest winters, I want to move back to a RWD, performance sedan and have been shopping the main players in this class; Infiniti Q50, Audi A4, BWM 335i, Lexus IS 350, and the Cadillac ATS RWD Premium. All have different characteristics, however based on my touch & feel test drives, I'm down to the Cadillac and BMW. Each has it's pros and cons so I appreciate the feedback.

JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

I owned a 2006 Audi A4 and my wife loved the size. We then bought a 2009 A 4 and while it was a much nicer car than the 06 the size was just a bit too big for my wife. she missed the smaller sportier feel of the 06. Then came the ATS that was right between the two as far as size goes and we both think its perfect. As far as reliability goes I have no problem with GM. My 2013 ATS had engine/wire harness problems at 17,000 miles. After some negotiating GM and Cadillac gave me a brand new 2014 at no cost replacement. I couldn't be happier with our 14 or with the service I received from GM, Cadillac and my dealer. We love the car and have purchased a Chevy Traverse from the same dealer since our Cadillac purchase. I have owned many GM products over the years and they have been very good and reliable. Even though I owned a few Audi's and BMW's I wouldn't own them beyond the warranty coverage. They are too expensive to repair and you pretty much have to go to the dealer for any work.

danniboi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by PetrolHead View Post
    I've had none. Sure, the back seat is a little tight, but for the few times I take people back there, it's perfectly adequate. I come from a long string of hatchbacks, and was nervous about the trunk as well. I've found it to be surprisingly commodious. Not as good as my past hatches, but we've done a few surprise Costco runs with my ATS and I've never found it lacking.

GM is very different from the Cobalt days, and the ATS shows it. Seems like there were some build issues with earlier ATS models, but mine's a 2014 and it's been incredibly solid. I've had mostly German cars in my past, and the build quality of the ATS meets or exceeds them in every way. I have zero remorse with my car, and after having it 4 months, I just like it more and more each day.
    I'm with this guy. This is my 15th vehicle and I'm not complaining about the trunk space whatsoever. I have a small MDF box with (2) 10' subwoofers in the trunk and I can still fit two golf bags in there without them touching the speakers. If I needed more space, I would have opted for a escalade.
    vwvr6tom likes this.

DiabloMike is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

What do you guys carry around in your trunks?
    LOL!
    vwvr6tom likes this.
    Mike Litsch
    DiabloSport Inc.
    Diablosport.com

Ragtop 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

I knew the back seat was a bit tight when buying the car, as I sat in the back during one of the test drives. There's really no more room than my wife's Mazda 3, which surprised me. It's adequate for around town trips with the kids or a road trip for two. We have a minivan for when we need to take everyone or a lot of stuff. If I needed a car to take clients in, or long family trips, I would not have purchased the ATS.

David is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 3.6; 1992 Cadillac Allanté

I've had my '13 ATS 3.6 Premium since December, 2012. It has been nearly bullet-proof; had the front brake pads replaced to stop the squealing, and the auto exit/seat position reprogrammed; other than this, it has been perfect. A LOVE to drive this car! The size is fine for me; rarely have more than one passenger in the car, and I find the trunk more than adequate (the fold down rear seat is a nice feature, if needed).

mrstecks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

No buyer remorse here either, for my 2013 ATS.
    I've liked a some of my previous cars, but this is the first one that I LOVE.
    Had it now for 16 months, and am completely satisfied.
    vwvr6tom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by danniboi View Post
    I'm with this guy. This is my 15th vehicle and I'm not complaining about the trunk space whatsoever. I have a small MDF box with (2) 10' subwoofers in the trunk and I can still fit two golf bags in there without them touching the speakers. If I needed more space, I would have opted for a escalade.
    Thanks. Honestly, room for my cart bag(s) is one of my primary concerns about the ATS trunk. I would love to see a picture of your trunk with the added subs and golf bags fitting in.

Quote Originally Posted by DiabloMike View Post
    What do you guys carry around in your trunks?
    LOL!
    See above. I pretty much keep my clubs in my trunk and I often drive at least one other golfer with me so I need space for potentially two cart bags with clubs. If I'm driving a foursome, I swap rides with the wife and take the SUV. My current Acura TL can easily fit two cart bags and even three if I stack and pack correctly. I don't see that happening with the ATS.

[COLOR="Silver"]

GJB
    GJB is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

No remorse in the size, quality or performance, the ATS is everything I expected and more. My only disappointment has been in GM resolving MY 13 CUE bugs with updates and It would be nice if it had a smoother idle and if the cluster could be updated so that sport mode would stick like it does on the MY14.

wlk12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

My wife has had her 2014 2.0T Luxury for about 3 months and 3000 miles. No gripes about size, quality or performance. Trunk is plenty large enough for her day-to-day needs as well as road trips with the two of us. She's only used the back seat three or four times with her quilting buddies and they've all said they had plenty of room. Only minor gripe is engine noise under hard acceleration (which she does frequently) She comes from eleven years with Cad CTS's (both first and second generation) and really likes the size and handling of the ATS.

One thing to check out is the back seat room with the sunroof - practically no one on this forum agrees with me but I found it very cramped (or at least it seemed that way). So much so that we would not have bought an ATS if we had to take the sunroof. Just our opinion.

If the ATS reliability is as good as her previously CTS's, we won't have a gripe in the world

myATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS LTG 6MT

My son complains about the rear seat room, we had a loaner with no sunroof and he liked that one much better.

cliff504 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Can you get 2 golf bags in the trunk ?

danniboi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by MSG C5 View Post
    Thanks. Honestly, room for my cart bag(s) is one of my primary concerns about the ATS trunk. I would love to see a picture of your trunk with the added subs and golf bags fitting in.

See above. I pretty much keep my clubs in my trunk and I often drive at least one other golfer with me so I need space for potentially two cart bags with clubs. If I'm driving a foursome, I swap rides with the wife and take the SUV. My current Acura TL can easily fit two cart bags and even three if I stack and pack correctly. I don't see that happening with the ATS.

[COLOR="Silver"]
    I'm getting service done, just brought the car in today but as soon as I get it back to the course and I have two bags in there I'll snag a pic for ya no doubt. I will have to admit that the bags I was referring to were not "cart" bags, they were regular golf bags. I could see an issue trying to squeeze two cart bags in the trunk, with or without an additional sub box.

Either way, I dont mind sharing and you'll get to see how this box fits in my trunk. It was originally built for a 3 series Mercedes but slid into my trunk like a glove. The installer didn't believe me that the box wasn't built for an ATS Guess it's a win for me.

Cheers

----------

I can get two golf bags in there with a subwoofer box in the trunk.. however as I previously failed to mention, these are not "cart" bags, they're regular golf bags.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.