2015 ATS - softened it's looks to appeal to the Asian market
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tahawk69
  • 1 Post By Jerzeyboy730
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, 2015 ATS - softened it's looks to appeal to the Asian market in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; ...
    sgr88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

2015 ATS - softened it's looks to appeal to the Asian market

There was an interesting news article today that confirmed what many thought... that GM/Cadillac (amongst some other car manufacturers) have re-imaged their automobiles to make them more palatable to the Asian market. There have been many comments or complaints that with the 2015 ATS... GM softened the formally aggressive look of the 2013/2014 ATS front and back end. Many commented that the 2015 ATS now looks "blah", or "vanilla" looking, an no longer has those strong aggressive looks of it's 2013/2014 predecessors. This has obviously been done to appeal the mass market including the Asian countries.

"China-focused models unveiled at Beijing auto show. Automakers are looking to China's biggest auto show this year to help boost sales in this huge but cooling market... a trend led by brands including GM's Cadillac unit that include features intended to appeal to Chinese tastes in models sold globally. GM, with its Chinese joint venture partners, is in the midst of a $12 billion investment campaign through 2017 to expand production. GM China President Matt Tsien said the company will open three new factories this year — two in Shenyang and one in Chongqing — and two more next year, including one for Cadillac production. He said that is expected to raise production capacity to 5 million units by the end of 2015.
    GM President Dan Ammann said the company expects to double sales of Cadillac luxury cars next year to 100,000 vehicles."

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MSG C5 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Re: 2015 ATS - softened it's looks to appeal to the Asian market

That's an interesting viewpoint, especially considering the styling elements already incorporated into the Asian market by Acura (Honda), Lexus (Toyota), and Infiniti (Nissan). I think all three of those automakers have brought out models that are just as aggressive looking, if not more, than Cadillac. Lexus IS350, Acura TL, and Infiniti Q50 to name a few.

I still don't think that the 2015 ATS sedan changes will be that drastic based on what I've seen on the coupe. The front fascia is probably the biggest change, but when you really look at it, they are only cosmetically removing two small pillars and creating the visual illusion of a wider lower grill added to the larger main grill. The changes to the rear end on the sedan test mules is even less conclusive. I know the coupe doesn't have the high brake light spoiler like the current sedan, however based on the spy shots, the 2015 sedan may still have the brake light spoiler.

If anything, I was hoping for some reverse love and have the extended ATS wheelbase targeted for China, to be made available in the US.

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

Looking through the grille of the 2015 white ATS, that almost looks like an FMIC. That would be a big improvement if it were so. The wider grille opening also would allow more cooling for the turbo engine.

tahawk69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0t awd premium

Coming from Infiniti whose designs i always thought were more cutting edge than the other asian brands, i like the new front end of the ats. Plus, I think it's smiling at me.
    vwvr6tom likes this.

sqkid89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Performance RWD

The new bumper doesn't do it for me; looks too much like the newer civic

220991.jpg

tahawk69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0t awd premium

Wow. I guess I would have to agree it definitely has a similar look to that civic. I think the new lower grill on the ats gives the appearance of a wider track. I once carved a pumpkin with a similar smile to the new ats. Someone please photo shop that ats orange.

Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

The more I see the 2015 the less I like it.

duneless is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): black raven 2013 ats4 3.6

To me the 2015 looks like it's smiling. And the 13 and 14 looks angry. I do not like the front of the 15's. It looks soft and goofy. Almost like it wants to speak and tell me a joke. Looks like a whale shark eating planktin. Sorry if that offends people or Cadillac.

Jerzeyboy730 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T
    What are those little plugs in diffuser on picture 3? 13/14 def more agressive, but can someone delete that honda pic? Blahhhhhhhhh

That front end pic makes me love the lines of ATS......just looks beast
    duneless likes this.

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Jerzeyboy730 View Post
    What are those little plugs in diffuser on picture 3?
    Q: “On the left is the smoke generator and on the right is the oil slick, 007.”

Quote Originally Posted by sqkid89 View Post
    The new bumper doesn't do it for me; looks too much like the newer civic

Attachment 205913
    If anything, I think GM/Cadillac is trying to further mimic the segment leader BMW...

sqkid89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Performance RWD

Quote Originally Posted by Jerzeyboy730 View Post
    13/14 def more agressive, but can someone delete that honda pic? Blahhhhhhhhh
    What has been seen, cannot be unseen

Speedhunter is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS4 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by MSG C5 View Post
    If anything, I think GM/Cadillac is trying to further mimic the segment leader BMW...

I disagree, if you look at the Cadillac line up there is consistency in their design that has carried on from the past to present. For instance, the vertical taillights/headlights and bold/boxy shape. Which I like that they have brand consistency just like BMW will always look like nothing else. Unlike most Japanese imports that look like nowadays (the new Corolla and the new Camry or Subaru could all be under one brand)

Quote Originally Posted by Speedhunter View Post
    I disagree, if you look at the Cadillac line up there is consistency in their design that has carried on from the past to present. For instance, the vertical taillights/headlights and bold/boxy shape. Which I like that they have brand consistency just like BMW will always look like nothing else. Unlike most Japanese imports that look like nowadays (the new Corolla and the new Camry or Subaru could all be under one brand)
    I was referring more to the lower front fascia. It seems like more manufacturers have that lower, full-width black vent with chrome accents. The new 2015 Cadillac coupe (sedan?) have now incorporated the similar retainer-looking lower fascia.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.