battery voltage
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, battery voltage in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Hello all. I noticed yesterday that the battery volt readout dropped to 12.2 v when it normally always stayed around ...
    tahawk69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0t awd premium

battery voltage

Hello all.
    I noticed yesterday that the battery volt readout dropped to 12.2 v when it normally always stayed around 14.4. The funny thing was when at 12.2 v it would not matter the rpm I was at the volts did not go back up. When i pulled in drive way I then noticed a slight squeal from under the hood. I opened the hood, but could not determine where the noise was from. It sounded more toward the turbo or possibly engine itself. I had to finally go inside as a storm rolled in and the hail started beating up my bald head.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

oggie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 2.0T, 2003 Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi

Re: battery voltage

First you should know that I am not a mechanic! To me it sounds like your alternator could have a bad bearing or maybe your serpentine belt is slipping. Good luck in figuring it out, and let us know what you find out is the issue.

I figured maybe the belt was slipping as well, but the noise was definitely not from there. I took it out today for a ride and the battery readout stayed at 14.4-14.7 and noise from under the hood. On the ATS does the alternator stop charging the battery when it's fully charged ?

duneless is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): black raven 2013 ats4 3.6

I don't know but mine has never dropped that low. In the past in other cars it was the alternator.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

You need to take the car in, and explain to the SA that the alternator is sporadically allowing the battery to discharge. Classic signs of altenator failure.

I figured maybe the belt was slipping as well, but the noise was definitely not from there. I took it out today for a ride and the battery readout stayed at 14.4-14.7 and noise from under the hood. On the ATS does the alternator stop charging the battery when it's fully charged ?
    I thought about that as well and tried for find the LTG press release that might explain something like this, but I couldn't locate any relevant information . The only vehicles I know that do this have 2 batteries for a lot of in-car electrical equipment. Best to bring it up to the SA to have them bench test the unit or run it through a tech-II for soft DTC's.

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

When I first got my car, I did notice that there were times that I'd get less than a 14.4-14.7 reading. Had my SA check it out and he said that the voltage can drop lower than the 14.4...but I can't remember the explanation that he gave. Nonetheless, after a year's use, no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    When I first got my car, I did notice that there were times that I'd get less than a 14.4-14.7 reading. Had my SA check it out and he said that the voltage can drop lower than the 14.4...but I can't remember the explanation that he gave. Nonetheless, after a year's use, no problems.
    It can drop into the 13s(usually indicative that the battery is fully charged 14.4 indicating it's actively charging), but 12.2 is an indication that there's no charging at all and that it's working off the battery only.

today it started and stayed at 14.4-14.7, but then hung around 12.6 for about 10 miles until I shut it off in the driveway.

Called a family friend who is a cadillac tech and he said that the ats will limit the voltage from the alternator to the battery as needed. He said as long it doesn't stay at 12.2 for an extremely long time and that it eventually moves back into the 13.6 to 14.4 range than it should be ok. I am still going to keep an eye on it.

Ragtop 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

12.6 is still lower than I would have expected.

I'm with M5eater. About 13.2 is about as low as I would expect for a good battery and alternator. I get the frustration of taking it in and only to have them not duplicate the problem, so keep an eye on it. If you start spending more time in the 12s, then it will be worth having the system checked.

Thanks. I agree with you guys it seems 12.2 is too low and I hate taking it back in. Seems like this car will spend more time in dealer than I hoped. Going to keep an eye on it for a while and see what happens maybe when I go in for oil change I'll ask them to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragtop 99 View Post
    12.6 is still lower than I would have expected.

I'm with M5eater. About 13.2 is about as low as I would expect for a good battery and alternator. I get the frustration of taking it in and only to have them not duplicate the problem, so keep an eye on it. If you start spending more time in the 12s, then it will be worth having the system checked.
    I checked out my battery voltage today, and it infact did droop to 12.7 at certain points.

The alternator technology Tahawk is talking about is widely used as a fuel (and battery) saving procedure to not run the alternator unless necessary. I simply was not aware of it's use in the ATS as it's not published.

The behavior is normal as such. I've been driving the car for over a year at this point, no dead battery.

Ragtop 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

I'll watch mine more closely, I haven't noticed it below the low 13s.

I've seen that similar technology used on other cars. I didn't realize that it allowed the voltage to drop that low.

When i orginally started looking at the ats I remember reading something about a battery protection feature. Not sure if this is what they were referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by tahawk69 View Post
    When i orginally started looking at the ats I remember reading something about a battery protection feature. Not sure if this is what they were referring to.
    That's different. this is to increase fuel efficiency and battery life. The run-down feature prevents dead batteries when you leave the lights on.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.