battery voltage - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, battery voltage in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; That makes sense. Would like to hear a few others chime in on this. I have noticed the car will ...
    tahawk69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0t awd premium

Re: battery voltage

That makes sense. Would like to hear a few others chime in on this. I have noticed the car will always start at around 13.5 to 14.4, but after driving a while it will eventually fall into to 12.2-12.7 range. Family friend cadillac tech said that alot of people have brought car in for that, but is almost always a normal operation. He was very clear saying that if it stays below 13 for a while and never goes back into charging than that would obviously indicate a problem.

duneless is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 Black Raven 3.6 ATS4 (BD 8/12)

I have audio amplifiers and it has never dipped that low before. In fact I just got in the car and it was at 15v and went down to 14.7. To me being in the 12's in this car would be very weird .Many other cars I have had went that low. But I have never seen my ATS do this. And my battery is taking a beating with the current being pulled from audio amps. I would have it looked at. Could be a bad battery. Or just weak.

greezychef is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual

Quote Originally Posted by tahawk69 View Post
    That makes sense. Would like to hear a few others chime in on this. I have noticed the car will always start at around 13.5 to 14.4, but after driving a while it will eventually fall into to 12.2-12.7 range. Family friend cadillac tech said that alot of people have brought car in for that, but is almost always a normal operation. He was very clear saying that if it stays below 13 for a while and never goes back into charging than that would obviously indicate a problem.
    it is absolutely fine. trust me, nothing to worry about. its just a cycle it goes through.
    i watch my volt meter constantly because of audio.
    tcbracing likes this.

tahawk69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0t awd premium

The tech I talked to said the less draw from the battery then the lower the battery voltage will drop to. The more draw meaning running radio, lights etc then the alternator will put out more charge to keep up. He also said that if you swap all lights to led the lower the draw so the less the alternator will put out. So in your case that theory would make sense. You require a higher draw, so that's why you will see 14.7 + the majority of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by duneless View Post
    I have audio amplifiers and it has never dipped that low before. In fact I just got in the car and it was at 15v and went down to 14.7. To me being in the 12's in this car would be very weird .Many other cars I have had went that low. But I have never seen my ATS do this. And my battery is taking a beating with the current being pulled from audio amps. I would have it looked at. Could be a bad battery. Or just weak.
    if he doesnt have his ac or heater blowing fairly high or something pulling current it will drop as low as 12.2. ive experienced this in my own car. but as soon as i turn on ac and turn up volume it hits 13.7 fairly fast then goes back to 14.4.

these cars have great electrical. consider the amount of power in my trunk. even at high volume with bass knob turned up 3/4 of the way it will hold 14's. heck my old 6.2l v8 silverado wouldnt do that. my t1500 is rated just shy of 2000 watts.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by tahawk69 View Post
    The tech I talked to said the less draw from the battery then the lower the battery voltage will drop to. The more draw meaning running radio, lights etc then the alternator will put out more charge to keep up. He also said that if you swap all lights to led the lower the draw so the less the alternator will put out. So in your case that theory would make sense. You require a higher draw, so that's why you will see 14.7 + the majority of the time.
    yes this. beat me too it.
    tcbracing likes this.

Yes It will drop a lot if AC is on. But is that the case here?. Like you said it will stay around 14v and up. AC will for sure make it drop. You can expect that in any car but is his AC on? Was there any belt noise from the alternator?
    Quote Originally Posted by greezychef View Post
    if he doesn't have his ac or heater blowing fairly high or something pulling current it will drop as low as 12.2. ive experienced this in my own car. but as soon as i turn on ac and turn up volume it hits 13.7 fairly fast then goes back to 14.4.

these cars have great electrical. consider the amount of power in my trunk. even at high volume with bass knob turned up 3/4 of the way it will hold 14's. heck my old 6.2l v8 silverado wouldnt do that. my t1500 is rated just shy of 2000 watts.

----------

yes this. beat me too it.

Yes It will drop a lot if AC is on. But is that the case here?. Like you said it will stay around 14v and up. AC will for sure make it drop. You can expect that in any car but is his AC on? Was there any belt noise from the alternator?
    no, it goes in and out of cycle. but if theirs a demand it will cycle on, ie: ac on, turn volume up.
    you can do it in your own car. start out with radio off, ac/heater off and watch your voltmeter while you drive around. it will cycle off and voltage will drop to mid 12's.
    tcbracing likes this.

Ragtop 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD, DP, Intake, HPT, CC

After reading this, I drove home with the a/c system shut off, radio volume relatively low and during the daylight so the lights weren't on. On a 30 minute drive, the lowest I saw for voltage was 13.5v and that was for less than a couple seconds before it popped back up to 14.1 v. Since I did have to watch the road too, I may have missed it, but if it were gradually falling through the 13s to 12s, I would have seen that.

tcbracing is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Performance 2.0L Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by greezychef View Post
    no, it goes in and out of cycle. but if theirs a demand it will cycle on, ie: ac on, turn volume up.
    you can do it in your own car. start out with radio off, ac/heater off and watch your voltmeter while you drive around. it will cycle off and voltage will drop to mid 12's.
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but noticed this on my '14 CTS 2.0T on a recent long (500 mile) trip and was told the same thing by the Cadillac Dealer Tech. In for oil change on Wednesday and they are going to verify, but I expect no issues.

Belman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 4 Premium 3.6

I just came home today and went out to the garage to check mine.. Cause I never monitor the battery voltage..

I turned off all the accessories and started the car.. It started with a voltage read out of 12.8, and then dropped point by point until it read 12.2 volts..

I then turned everything on.. AC on full, rear defroster, seat heaters.. And the voltage went back up to 13.0 ...

Just now I drove 10 miles with the heater on. 2 amplifiers working pretty hard and doing my regular blast up i91 and my voltage is at 14.9. I have only seen my volts drop to 12 a couple times since my last post here. My car seems to hold a good charge. But it could be that I have a heavy foot.I haven't looked at the ac on and the volts though. I really don't use AC that much in the car. I like having all my power when I need it. And I like the heat when we do get it.

Belman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 4 Premium 3.6

Just now I drove 10 miles with the heater on. 2 amplifiers working pretty hard and doing my regular blast up i91 and my voltage is at 14.9. I have only seen my volts drop to 12 a couple times since my last post here. My car seems to hold a good charge. But it could be that I have a heavy foot.I haven't looked at the ac on and the volts though. I really don't use AC that much in the car. I like having all my power when I need it. And I like the heat when we do get it.
    I think one of the reasons my voltage goes so low is because I've charged my battery several times.. Without ever looking at the display that tells you battery voltage.. I charged it because the wife (the ATS daily driver) insist that the car has the exit lights on for 30 seconds after the car is shut off.. And as you know, these ATS can light up like a Christmas tree, when you shut them off..

I just thought occasionally topping off the battery was a good idea.. Today the voltage read 14.8 before trickling down to 12.3.. If I had not read some of the comments that this is normal, I would have been very concerned with a voltage reading of 12.2 ..
    duneless likes this.

rsingl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06

The ATS, like most recent GM cars, has a power management system which also can and will shut off some high current draw devices when the battery voltage is low and the alternator is at/near maximum current output. This is most likely to occur in the first few minutes after a start when the car hasn't been driven for a long period of time. Items like seat heaters are considered less critical than headlights so it will shed that load as needed until the battery charge is up to a reasonable level.

My previous car, a 2008 CTS with 3.6, behaved exactly the same way in terms of varying voltage and it is entirely normal. It is disconcerting at first when you are used to other vehicles but it is set up the way it is to maximize fuel economy and is found in most current GM models. IF the ECM was calling for increased alternator output and system voltage did not respond then you would get a charging system warning. With no charging system warning you can be confident that this varying voltage with resulting charge rate is done under system command.

DavidATS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 3.6 RWD Premium

My guess with enough questions/concerns to the dealer and they will decide having a gauge we can see is not worth the cost/hassle.
    rsingl likes this.

rsingl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by DavidATS View Post
    My guess with enough questions/concerns to the dealer and they will decide having a gauge we can see is not worth the cost/hassle.
    Good point! It could become like Ford did for a period of time with the "idiot oil gauge" in their pickup models that would go to dead center as soon as the engine started and not move from that point until it was shut off again. The first time I took a long-time Ford owner for a ride in my 2006 GMC diesel pickup he wanted me to stop and check my oil level because the oil pressure would go up every time engine RPM increased. I gently explained to him that the oil pressure gauge he was used to in his Ford could kindly be called an analog idiot light.

My one minor complaint thus far about my new Corvette is with my Z06 model the manifold pressure gauge replaces the engine coolant temperature gauge and coolant temperature isn't a selectable option for the configurable pocket gauges that flank the tach. So to see coolant temp you either select a "rolling dial" gauge in the center of the tach or a numeric text display of engine parameters. I would have preferred that the manifold pressure gauge replace the fuel gauge if they wanted a dedicated panel position for it since unlike engine coolant temperature outside of a massive leak or a refill the fuel level isn't going to change rapidly. My prior ATS had an oil pressure reading which isn't available on the ATS (at least in 2014) which is also a shame.

16. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.