battery voltage - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, battery voltage in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; That makes sense. Would like to hear a few others chime in on this. I have noticed the car will ...
    tahawk69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0t awd premium

Re: battery voltage

That makes sense. Would like to hear a few others chime in on this. I have noticed the car will always start at around 13.5 to 14.4, but after driving a while it will eventually fall into to 12.2-12.7 range. Family friend cadillac tech said that alot of people have brought car in for that, but is almost always a normal operation. He was very clear saying that if it stays below 13 for a while and never goes back into charging than that would obviously indicate a problem.

duneless is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): black raven 2013 ats4 3.6

I have audio amplifiers and it has never dipped that low before. In fact I just got in the car and it was at 15v and went down to 14.7. To me being in the 12's in this car would be very weird .Many other cars I have had went that low. But I have never seen my ATS do this. And my battery is taking a beating with the current being pulled from audio amps. I would have it looked at. Could be a bad battery. Or just weak.

greezychef is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual

Quote Originally Posted by tahawk69 View Post
    That makes sense. Would like to hear a few others chime in on this. I have noticed the car will always start at around 13.5 to 14.4, but after driving a while it will eventually fall into to 12.2-12.7 range. Family friend cadillac tech said that alot of people have brought car in for that, but is almost always a normal operation. He was very clear saying that if it stays below 13 for a while and never goes back into charging than that would obviously indicate a problem.
    it is absolutely fine. trust me, nothing to worry about. its just a cycle it goes through.
    i watch my volt meter constantly because of audio.

tahawk69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0t awd premium

The tech I talked to said the less draw from the battery then the lower the battery voltage will drop to. The more draw meaning running radio, lights etc then the alternator will put out more charge to keep up. He also said that if you swap all lights to led the lower the draw so the less the alternator will put out. So in your case that theory would make sense. You require a higher draw, so that's why you will see 14.7 + the majority of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by duneless View Post
    I have audio amplifiers and it has never dipped that low before. In fact I just got in the car and it was at 15v and went down to 14.7. To me being in the 12's in this car would be very weird .Many other cars I have had went that low. But I have never seen my ATS do this. And my battery is taking a beating with the current being pulled from audio amps. I would have it looked at. Could be a bad battery. Or just weak.
    if he doesnt have his ac or heater blowing fairly high or something pulling current it will drop as low as 12.2. ive experienced this in my own car. but as soon as i turn on ac and turn up volume it hits 13.7 fairly fast then goes back to 14.4.

these cars have great electrical. consider the amount of power in my trunk. even at high volume with bass knob turned up 3/4 of the way it will hold 14's. heck my old 6.2l v8 silverado wouldnt do that. my t1500 is rated just shy of 2000 watts.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by tahawk69 View Post
    The tech I talked to said the less draw from the battery then the lower the battery voltage will drop to. The more draw meaning running radio, lights etc then the alternator will put out more charge to keep up. He also said that if you swap all lights to led the lower the draw so the less the alternator will put out. So in your case that theory would make sense. You require a higher draw, so that's why you will see 14.7 + the majority of the time.
    yes this. beat me too it.

duneless is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): black raven 2013 ats4 3.6

Yes It will drop a lot if AC is on. But is that the case here?. Like you said it will stay around 14v and up. AC will for sure make it drop. You can expect that in any car but is his AC on? Was there any belt noise from the alternator?
    Quote Originally Posted by greezychef View Post
    if he doesn't have his ac or heater blowing fairly high or something pulling current it will drop as low as 12.2. ive experienced this in my own car. but as soon as i turn on ac and turn up volume it hits 13.7 fairly fast then goes back to 14.4.

these cars have great electrical. consider the amount of power in my trunk. even at high volume with bass knob turned up 3/4 of the way it will hold 14's. heck my old 6.2l v8 silverado wouldnt do that. my t1500 is rated just shy of 2000 watts.

----------

yes this. beat me too it.

Quote Originally Posted by duneless View Post
    Yes It will drop a lot if AC is on. But is that the case here?. Like you said it will stay around 14v and up. AC will for sure make it drop. You can expect that in any car but is his AC on? Was there any belt noise from the alternator?
    no, it goes in and out of cycle. but if theirs a demand it will cycle on, ie: ac on, turn volume up.
    you can do it in your own car. start out with radio off, ac/heater off and watch your voltmeter while you drive around. it will cycle off and voltage will drop to mid 12's.

Ragtop 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

After reading this, I drove home with the a/c system shut off, radio volume relatively low and during the daylight so the lights weren't on. On a 30 minute drive, the lowest I saw for voltage was 13.5v and that was for less than a couple seconds before it popped back up to 14.1 v. Since I did have to watch the road too, I may have missed it, but if it were gradually falling through the 13s to 12s, I would have seen that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.