Scientific evidence in support of the old myth: Oil change at 3k miles! :)
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Scientific evidence in support of the old myth: Oil change at 3k miles! :) in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Today I had my first oil change at 2866 miles! My oil life was at 18%, meaning that it is ...
    ben.gators is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Scientific evidence in support of the old myth: Oil change at 3k miles! :)

Today I had my first oil change at 2866 miles! My oil life was at 18%, meaning that it is time for an oil change! Who told that 3000 mile oil change is a myth!

Here is the basic info:
    Mileage: 2866 miles
    Oil life: 18%
    Average speed: 14.0 MPH
    Average MPG: 13.7 MPG! Yes, 13.7 mile per gallon!

While I was there waiting for my car, I walked around the new Cadillacs. My dealership had plenty of new ATS, CTS, and XTS on the lot. And they had a new CTS V sport, and and ELR too!

I was drooling around the CTS V-Sport! It was premium, and boy that car looked gorgeous!

But truth to be told, after driving ATS and getting used to its size and nimbleness, the CTS looks too big for me. I don't need a car of that size! ATS VSport or ATS-V would be GREAT! I told my sales guy that when they bring the new ATS V or V-Sport I would be there, and who knows, might get one of them!

And the second Opulent Blue ATS has arrived to the Island:

It is a standard 2.0 turbo ATS with base radio.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Mrfoxxy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Turbo. Had a 2001 Catera
    I've had 2 oil changes , 1st one at 10000km 25% oil life. 2nd one at 20150 km 19% oil life

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Re: Scientific evidence in support of the old myth: Oil change at 3k miles! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    Today I had my first oil change at 2866 miles! My oil life was at 18%, meaning that it is time for an oil change! Who told that 3000 mile oil change is a myth!

Here is the basic info:
    Mileage: 2866 miles
    Oil life: 18%
    Average speed: 14.0 MPH
    Average MPG: 13.7 MPG! Yes, 13.7 mile per gallon!
    Yikes, BG, you must be driving down your driveway, then up your neighbor's driveway, and then back to your garage to have put up the numbers you are showing???

onecleancaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac ATS
    Lol, I'm betting you have gone wot off a stop light to 30mph then just cruised somewhere around 500 times, hahaha I feel bad for the next owner!

In all seriousness I'm most likely well on my way there too coming from a vette

Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    Yikes, BG, you must be driving down your driveway, then up your neighbor's driveway, and then back to your garage to have put up the numbers you are showing???
    This is actually my daily driver, and I drive it to work and back home on a daily basis! However, the distance between my apartment and my parking space at work is 0.9 miles, and I floor the gas entire time!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by onecleancaddy View Post
    Lol, I'm betting you have gone wot off a stop light to 30mph then just cruised somewhere around 500 times, hahaha I feel bad for the next owner!

In all seriousness I'm most likely well on my way there too coming from a vette
    This is more like it!

Maxplot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 3.6 - Crystal Red, 2013 SRX Platinum Ice

With an average speed of 14 mph, you are doing a lot of idling. Idling kills gas mileage. The oil monitor does not like idling or city driving. I drove 1100 miles on a trip in our SRX and the oil % dropped by only 2%. Around town the oil % drops that much in about a week.

Ragtop 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

average speed of 14 mph is just painful.

unless that is in a sailboat.

Average speed doesn't necessarily mean that I normally drive at this speed. This is how it works: I am behind a stop light or a stop sign, and from there I floor the gas and keep the pedal there, and before the speed gets too high or illegal, I already have arrived to the next stop sign or the light; therefore I brake and stop, and this loop repeats! You see, it is actually very fun!

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL
    Average speed doesn't necessarily mean that I normally drive at this speed. This is how it works: I am behind a stop light or a stop sign, and from there I floor the gas and keep the pedal there, and before the speed gets too high or illegal, I already have arrived to the next stop sign or the light; therefore I brake and stop, and this loop repeats! You see, it is actually very fun!
    That is the most brutal way to drive ever.
    M5eater likes this.

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Have to agree with Donavo, unless your car is a lease. However, if it is a lease, keep going for it, but I wouldn't want to be the car's next owner.

dirty south Guest

Rihanna? Really?
    T I T A N I U M likes this.

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

I don't see any evidence. Show me the used oil analysis that says the oil was no good.

About the only ones that really need a 3,000-mile oil change are the quick-lube and dealership service departments. The 3,000 mile oil change was invented to make them and the oil companies money. I read in a lube trade magazine some years ago that credited Pennzoil with starting the whole 3-mont/3,000 miles interval con on the American motoring public. The article showed that Pennzoil would loose somewhere around $350 million dollars if the interval increased to 4,000 miles.

Follow the money.

PS - I have not changed oil at 3,000 miles, at least not since about 1975 when synthetic oils hit the market. Once a year no matter the miles for me.

Ragtop 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

If there is really no traffic and you can practice your 60', its ok. Average speed that low reflects either a lot of time sitting in very slow traffic or stoplights. My average speed on my commute is under 25 mph and 20% of it includes a few mile section where I can go 55 mph. The other 80% is slow or stopped. Not much fun.

You need drag radials and a 50 shot to spool the turbo off the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Z71 View Post
    I don't see any evidence. Show me the used oil analysis that says the oil was no good.

About the only ones that really need a 3,000-mile oil change are the quick-lube and dealership service departments. The 3,000 mile oil change was invented to make them and the oil companies money. I read in a lube trade magazine some years ago that credited Pennzoil with starting the whole 3-mont/3,000 miles interval con on the American motoring public. The article showed that Pennzoil would loose somewhere around $350 million dollars if the interval increased to 4,000 miles.

Follow the money.

PS - I have not changed oil at 3,000 miles, at least not since about 1975 when synthetic oils hit the market. Once a year no matter the miles for me.
    I knew that someone will take this thread serious, therefore I put that smily face at the end of the thread title, but it seems that one wasn't enough!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by dirty south View Post
    Rihanna? Really?
    It is radio! But not saying that I don't like some of Rihanna's songs!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    That is the most brutal way to drive ever.
    Did I tell you that each time I turn off the traction control and drift while I am accelerating and meanwhile put my head outside of the car and shout yohoooo?
    Why everyone is so literal today?!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    Have to agree with Donavo, unless your car is a lease. However, if it is a lease, keep going for it, but I wouldn't want to be the car's next owner.
    Actually it is a lease. Next year I will be moving to Boynton Beach, FL, and will be returning back my lease to a dealer there!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ragtop 99 View Post
    If there is really no traffic and you can practice your 60', its ok. Average speed that low reflects either a lot of time sitting in very slow traffic or stoplights. My average speed on my commute is under 25 mph and 20% of it includes a few mile section where I can go 55 mph. The other 80% is slow or stopped. Not much fun.

You need drag radials and a 50 shot to spool the turbo off the line.
    There are about 8 stop signs or traffic lights between my apartment and my work, and the distance is just 0.9 miles! That is about 600 feet between two stops, in average! And the speed limit is about 30-35 MPH! So 14 MPH actually makes sense and I would be surprised if I could get any better MPG or average speed.
    GJB likes this.

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

Did I tell you that each time I turn off the traction control and drift while I am accelerating and meanwhile put my head outside of the car and shout yohoooo?
    Why everyone is so literal today?
    i would approve of the drifting actually lol. thats some serious fun. just hope i can learn how soon...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.