Scientific evidence in support of the old myth: Oil change at 3k miles! :) - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Scientific evidence in support of the old myth: Oil change at 3k miles! :) in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; 2014 ATS4 Will be a year old the end of May 2480 miles 21% Oil Life 17.3 MPG. On 93 ...
    TonyT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS
    2014 ATS4
    Will be a year old the end of May
    2480 miles
    21% Oil Life
    17.3 MPG. On 93 Octane

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Re: Scientific evidence in support of the old myth: Oil change at 3k miles! :)

21% oil life remaining after 2480 miles! Wow. How come your oil life decreased so fast? I am starting to think that "time" is another parameter in the formula that GM uses to estimate the oil life!

donavo is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

im more surprised at how he managed to drive so little over a year....wow.

AIRASSAULT18B is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V, ATS 3.6 PREMIUM THUNDER GREY

When you live on the rock nothing last as long. Tires, ,oil ,money ,etc. you know what I mean.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    21% oil life remaining after 2480 miles! Wow. How come your oil life decreased so fast? I am starting to think that "time" is another parameter in the formula that GM uses to estimate the oil life!
    GM oil life monitor can determine whether to use a severe duty or normal schedule and uses a bunch of parameters to age the oil some of which are as follows:

-# of engine starts ages the oil

-time engine running per start

-oil temp per engine start to see if oil allowed enough time to get to operating temperature each start

-speed and load of engine after each start, to determine if severe use schedule should apply for driving such as stop and go, towing, or performance driving

-ambient temperature, cold weather ages oil more than warm

-time since last change, one year is the maximum so even if you parked it for a year your oil will still age to 0% oil life

Maxplot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 3.6 - Crystal Red, 2013 SRX Platinum Ice

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    GM oil life monitor can determine whether to use a severe duty or normal schedule and uses a bunch of parameters to age the oil some of which are as follows:

-# of engine starts ages the oil

-time engine running per start

-oil temp per engine start to see if oil allowed enough time to get to operating temperature each start

-speed and load of engine after each start, to determine if severe use schedule should apply for driving such as stop and go, towing, or performance driving

-ambient temperature, cold weather ages oil more than warm

-time since last change, one year is the maximum so even if you parked it for a year your oil will still age to 0% oil life
    I don't think your last line is correct. My car hit the one year point from its build date and the oil was still over 50%. It did not reset itself to 0%. I took my car in and told them to change the oil per the warranty and they changed it even though ( I can't remember the exact percent) it was over 50%.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by Maxplot View Post
    I don't think your last line is correct. My car hit the one year point from its build date and the oil was still over 50%. It did not reset itself to 0%. I took my car in and told them to change the oil per the warranty and they changed it even though ( I can't remember the exact percent) it was over 50%.
    you may have experienced something different, but i have seen, like the poster with oil due with 2K miles a few times, especially on elderly owners cars....maybe if you put some miles on it that week the percentage would sink like a stone

Quote Originally Posted by AIRASSAULT18B View Post
    When you live on the rock nothing last as long. Tires, ,oil ,money ,etc. you know what I mean.
    I hear you! You used to live on the rock too, right?

AIRASSAULT18B is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V, ATS 3.6 PREMIUM THUNDER GREY

Yes, I too lived in that little grass shack in the Pacific.
    ben.gators likes this.

Jerzeyboy730 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
    If there is really no traffic and you can practice your 60', its ok. Average speed that low reflects either a lot of time sitting in very slow traffic or stoplights. My average speed on my commute is under 25 mph and 20% of it includes a few mile section where I can go 55 mph. The other 80% is slow or stopped. Not much fun. You need drag radials and a 50 shot to spool the turbo off the line.
    I like the way ragtop thinks r888's work well for this as well, and car is even equipped with stopwatch to time 60ft's yet no integrated boost gauge....lucky CTS vsport

----------

9 months old 2600, 36%

When do you "qualify" for oil change maintenance?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerzeyboy730 View Post
    I like the way ragtop thinks r888's work well for this as well, and car is even equipped with stopwatch to time 60ft's yet no integrated boost gauge....lucky CTS vsport

----------

9 months old 2600, 36%

When do you "qualify" for oil change maintenance?
    When it is less than %20. However, some say that there is a new change in free maintenance package. Free maintenance package includes 8 free oil change. And now it is up to the owner when he wants his oil changed. I would suggest you call your dealer and confirm with them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.