cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 40

Thread: Window trim, door handles, and grill painted..... finally.

  1. #16
    AIRASSAULT18B is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V, ATS 3.6 PREMIUM THUNDER GREY
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    10

    Re: Window trim, door handles, and grill painted..... finally.

    That front license plate is killing the whole look. In my state you have to have a front license plate but if you keep it in your car then put it on your dash if you get pulled over its fine. The dealer here never installed the front holder but stated if my wife wanted it installed they just drill/drive screws into the bumper. My wife asked me & I told me if it was my car I would not do it but, its hers so she can do what ever she wants. So she did not have them F-up her car.


  2. #17
    carpenter is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 ATS 4 Black Raven 3.6 Premium
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    WI
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,113

    Re: Window trim, door handles, and grill painted..... finally.

    Quote Originally Posted by AIRASSAULT18B View Post
    That front license plate is killing the whole look. In my state you have to have a front license plate but if you keep it in your car then put it on your dash if you get pulled over its fine. The dealer here never installed the front holder but stated if my wife wanted it installed they just drill/drive screws into the bumper. My wife asked me & I told me if it was my car I would not do it but, its hers so she can do what ever she wants. So she did not have them F-up her car.
    yes the plate sucks. Nothing I can do about it and as far as killing the look, it still looks better to me than the chrome trim everywhere especially with gunmetal wheels.

  3. #18
    Jerzeyboy730's Avatar
    Jerzeyboy730 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    South Jersey
    Age
    38
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by carpenter
    yes the plate sucks. Nothing I can do about it and as far as killing the look, it still looks better to me than the chrome trim everywhere especially with gunmetal wheels.
    You're car looks great...yeah front plates suck, don't agree it's "killing your car", some states have laws that suck, and your state is one. So I'll have to disagree with last post, and say even with a tag on the front, your car still looks great.

  4. #19
    carpenter is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 ATS 4 Black Raven 3.6 Premium
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    WI
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,113

    Re: Window trim, door handles, and grill painted..... finally.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyinstaller View Post
    liking the grille only problem is he painted over the chrome. just wondering how long it will last.
    Well, to answer your question about 3 weeks. Despite all the prep work, it didn't stick. This week, we took everything apart and had it vinyl wrapped from a local shop for $300. He used a premium 3M vinyl and gave me a 5 year guarantee against any issues with the vinyl or workmanship. When I say we took everything apart we took EVERY piece off the car so it could be properly wrapped. That included the window trim pieces which we had to drill out the 6 rivets that hold each one in place and then re-rivet them once they were wrapped. Came out great and looks just like the paint did.
    Last edited by carpenter; 05-13-14 at 07:29 PM.

  5. #20
    1tattooedkid's Avatar
    1tattooedkid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    So Cal
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16

    Re: Window trim, door handles, and grill painted..... finally.

    Looks awesome! I've got a red ATS. I can't stand my chrome handles. Just dropped mine to get the grille and window trim vinyl wrapped. I color matched the V on the rear bumper and the orange side markers

  6. #21
    donavo's Avatar
    donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS-V Coupe MT
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, Unite
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,533

    Re: Window trim, door handles, and grill painted..... finally.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1tattooedkid View Post
    Looks awesome! I've got a red ATS. I can't stand my chrome handles. Just dropped mine to get the grille and window trim vinyl wrapped. I color matched the V on the rear bumper and the orange side markers
    what the.....? so the chrome piece in the back is ORANGE? on a red car? this i gotta see...

  7. #22
    carpenter is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 ATS 4 Black Raven 3.6 Premium
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    WI
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,113

    Re: Window trim, door handles, and grill painted..... finally.

    Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    what the.....? so the chrome piece in the back is ORANGE? on a red car? this i gotta see...
    I think he's saying he color matched the V on the rear bumper and also the orange side markers.

  8. #23
    donavo's Avatar
    donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS-V Coupe MT
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, Unite
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,533

    Re: Window trim, door handles, and grill painted..... finally.

    Quote Originally Posted by carpenter View Post
    I think he's saying he color matched the V on the rear bumper and also the orange side markers.
    ohhhhh. okay that makes more sense. i was thinking he painted the V the same color as the sidemarkers (orange).....

  9. #24
    1tattooedkid's Avatar
    1tattooedkid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    So Cal
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16

    Re: Window trim, door handles, and grill painted..... finally.

    [/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    what the.....? so the chrome piece in the back is ORANGE? on a red car? this i gotta see...
    Nope, never said orange V. The V on the rear bumper is chrome. I ordered a can of color matched paint from the dealership and sprayed the chrome V (after etching the chrome) as well as the orange side markers so they all match the body color.

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by carpenter View Post
    Well, to answer your question about 3 weeks. Despite all the prep work, it didn't stick. This week, we took everything apart and had it vinyl wrapped from a local shop for $300. He used a premium 3M vinyl and gave me a 5 year guarantee against any issues with the vinyl or workmanship. When I say we took everything apart we took EVERY piece off the car so it could be properly wrapped. That included the window trim pieces which we had to drill out the 6 rivets that hold each one in place and then re-rivet them once they were wrapped. Came out great and looks just like the paint did.
    The shop removed and wrapped everything for $300? I just paid $450 (even though he quoted me $250 2 months ago) to wrap the upper and lower chrome on the grille and the chrome window trim. Took 30 minutes longer than expected so I was in a rush to pick up my daughter from school. Once I got home and gave the car a once over I was pretty disappointed. Pretty poor work- bubbles, sloppy cuts, even a scratch with a pin hole they tried to fill with ball point pen. Waiting on a response as to when they will fix this mess.

  10. #25
    carpenter is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 ATS 4 Black Raven 3.6 Premium
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    WI
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,113

    Re: Window trim, door handles, and grill painted..... finally.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1tattooedkid View Post
    [/COLOR]

    Nope, never said orange V. The V on the rear bumper is chrome. I ordered a can of color matched paint from the dealership and sprayed the chrome V (after etching the chrome) as well as the orange side markers so they all match the body color.

    ----------



    The shop removed and wrapped everything for $300? I just paid $450 (even though he quoted me $250 2 months ago) to wrap the upper and lower chrome on the grille and the chrome window trim. Took 30 minutes longer than expected so I was in a rush to pick up my daughter from school. Once I got home and gave the car a once over I was pretty disappointed. Pretty poor work- bubbles, sloppy cuts, even a scratch with a pin hole they tried to fill with ball point pen. Waiting on a response as to when they will fix this mess.
    No they just wrapped everything for $300. It was actually like $325. I took all the parts off myself and just brought them in to bee wrapped. The door handles though were done on the car.

  11. #26
    ben.gators is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    somewhere good!
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: Window trim, door handles, and grill painted..... finally.

    Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    what the.....? so the chrome piece in the back is ORANGE? on a red car? this i gotta see...
    Just a friendly reminder:

  12. #27
    1tattooedkid's Avatar
    1tattooedkid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    So Cal
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16

    Re: Window trim, door handles, and grill painted..... finally.

    blacked trim.jpg
    Vinyl wrapped window and grill trim, plasti dipped wheels and Cadillac emblems (ATS and 2.0T badges removed), painted chrome V on rear bumper and orange side markers. Just need to paint the chrome handles next.

  13. #28
    pissedoffwookiee's Avatar
    pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Carlsbad, CA
    Posts
    4,146

    Re: Window trim, door handles, and grill painted..... finally.

    i'm confused about this car....judging by the lightblade this car is a performance or premium, but both those trims have lighted handles, so is this a luxury with upgraded lights? or perf/prem with no lighted handles? and is it possible AWD deleted the handles? anyhow that car is very very nicecongrats

  14. #29
    carpenter is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 ATS 4 Black Raven 3.6 Premium
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    WI
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,113

    Re: Window trim, door handles, and grill painted..... finally.

    Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    i'm confused about this car....judging by the lightblade this car is a performance or premium, but both those trims have lighted handles, so is this a luxury with upgraded lights? or perf/prem with no lighted handles? and is it possible AWD deleted the handles? anyhow that car is very very nicecongrats
    My car in the OP? It's a lux with the lower DRL's added. This is the one that is going back to GM that I was PMing you about.

  15. #30
    The Black Dahlia's Avatar
    The Black Dahlia is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T Matte Titanium Metallic
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    755

    Re: Window trim, door handles, and grill painted..... finally.

    Well done, Carpenter. This looks VERY clean and very mean.. Props to your paint guy too, the handles aren't an easy task... My wrap company who did my car couldn't do the entire handles, partly because of the LED portion on my handle. Nice choice on wheel color too!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum