13 ats losing value quickly
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, 13 ats losing value quickly in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; JUST MY OPINION FROM TODAYS PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. FIRST I LOVE AND HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH MY ATS. BUT, COMING FROM ...
    Groomie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadllac ATS Performance 2.0 T Black Raven

13 ats losing value quickly

JUST MY OPINION FROM TODAYS PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. FIRST I LOVE AND HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH MY ATS. BUT, COMING FROM A SUPERCHARGED CHALLENGER IN EARLY 2013 THOUGHT I WOULD BUY MY FIRST CADDY. HAVE BEEN MORE THAN PLEASED AND ALSO HAVE HAD THE MODDING BUG.

IN THE LAST COUPLE DAYS, I GUESS I HAD DECIDED TO TAKE THE LEAP TO A 2013 OR 2014 CTS-V COUPE. LIVING IN THE SOUTHERN PART OF GA. THESE CARS ARE NOT ON ANY CLOSE LOTS SO I DECIDED TO CONTACT SOME REPUTABLE NORTH GA DEALERS. AFTER ONLINE CHATTING WITH THE SALESMAN AND DECIDING ON A 2013 COUPE BLACK RAVEN 6 SPEED, RECARO, ETC... AND PRETTY MUCH GETTING CLOSE ON THE BUYING PRICE OF THE CAR.

WE STARTED TALKING ON THE PHONE ABOUT DELIVERY ETC... AND I POPPED THE TRADE IN QUESTION.

OH OH MY I WAS SLAMMED TO THE FLOOR. BY THE WAY, I HAVE A PERFORMANCE AUTO WITH ABOUT 14 K MILES. THE CAR HAS EVERY OPTION OTHER THAN MRC. LET ME TELL YOU THIS CAR IS WASHED AND CLEANED EVERY WEEK PLUS WAXED ONCE A MONTH AND CLAYED ABOUT EVERY 6 MONTHS. IT IS GARAGED AND HAS NOT A SCRATCH ON IT. HECK I DRIVE MY MIATA WHEN IT RAINS, BASICALLY THR CAR IS AN IMMACULATE VECHICLE WHICH WAS LISTED FOR 51k WHEN NEW.

NOW FOR THE GOOD STUFF. AFTER AGREEING TO A PRICE IN THE MID TO UPPER 50'S TO CONSIDER PURCHASING. PLEASE SIT AND NO FAINTING PLEASE.

YOU WANT THE TRADE IN FIGURE----PLEASE SIT (OFFERED $23,800.)
    NOW THIS TELLS ME MY CAR HAD JUST DEPRECIATED OVER $27,000K IN JUST OVER 14 TO 15 MONTH'S. I HAVE LOOKED AT MANY
    APPRASALS AND THE ONES I SAW WERE QUITE HIGHER.

SUM IT UP GUYS JUST FROM MY EXPERIENCE TODAY, I THINK THE CADDY IS A GREAT CAR MAYBE THE DEALERS DONT WANT EM OR AS YOU COULD SAY LIKE A RAFT FLOATING OVER NIAGRA FALLLS----FALLING AND VERY QUICKLY.

AND TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH MAYBE TIME TO JUMP SHIP, BUT MY SHIP IS A GREAT SHIP WORTH A LOT MORE THAN I GUESS THOSE HOTLANTA SHORES WANT.

JUST MY EXPERIECE TO MAY BE HELP SOMEONE IN THE FUTURE.

CHEERS TO ALL AND HOPE YOU ALL ENJOY YOUR CADDY FOR A LONG TIME TO COME.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Re: 13 ats losing value quickly

Did you do a KBB.com search; using some generic numbers (for your vehicle), I got 25.5 to 28 k (using excellent condition). Edmunds.com also provides trade-in numbers.

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

I have to agree that you are getting low balled on your number. Just using Kelly's with the info you provided I get average $27,750. Yes, it's a bummer to lose about $20k like that....but that's the nature of new car depreciation. If you don't mind me saying, you might be better off leasing if you get the itch for a new car every couple years or so....

p.s. please try to avoid all caps; hard on the eyes

vwvr6tom likes this.

Drwilsc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD Premium White Diamond

You are always going to lose out if you trade a car after only a year or so, not unique to the ATS.
    vwvr6tom likes this.

listrats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium RWD

First year you take the biggest hit in depreciation. Also, your car may have sticker for 51k but almost no one has paid sticker for an ATS. Not sure how your performance was 51k when thats how much the premium fully loaded goes for but it isn't really relevant. That is why I lease, not purchase.

SLA
    SLA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T 6MT, 05 LGT, 97 M3

First off, stop shouting at us!

Second, it's a luxury car. It'll depreciate badly the first two years.

Third, get more trade in offers.
    vwvr6tom likes this.

carpenter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS Black Raven 3.6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by listrats View Post
    Not sure how your performance was 51k when thats how much the premium fully loaded goes for but it isn't really relevant.
    A loaded RWD 2.0 Performance could very easily hit 51K and even more when you add on destination charge. Loaded Premium would be closer to 53K. (there's 3K bash back now that lowers the price, but that wasn't available in 2013. I couldn't imagine paying sticker for any luxury car though. I would constantly feel ripped off when I knew that in less than a year I could get the same car with less than 5K miles on it for probably $15K less than sticker. Starting to see low mileage '13s now for closer to 20K less than sticker. If I didn't drive so much I'd lease every vehicle.
    vwvr6tom likes this.

CADILLACATS2013 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

I looked on the NADA and the clean trade-in value is what I paid for it when I bought it new a little over 3 months ago (not including TTL). I knew all the rebates and discounts was only going to cover the depreciation when I drove it off the lot, I just wanted the car to be worth what I paid for it.

carpenter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS Black Raven 3.6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by CADILLACATS2013 View Post
    I knew all the rebates and discounts was only going to cover the depreciation when I drove it off the lot, I just wanted the car to be worth what I paid for it.
    That was kind of my thought too and why I decided to go with an executive driven car with 3500 miles on it. Still get new car financing, but saved over $15,000 off sticker. That said I have only had it for a couple months and even putting down $4000 on top of the discount I'd probably still be right about even today if I had to trade it in.

oggie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 2.0T, 2003 Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi

This is exactly why I lease. I get to drive it for the best 3 years with no maintenance costs, and then get something new.
    Jagular likes this.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

Trade in value is a joke. Sell it privately. The dealer has bills to pay, payroll, coffee, water, electricity, toilet paper, etc etc and even with all that, there needs to be enough profit for someone to get filthy rich or why run a dealer? It's the fact of life when dealing with them. Sell it privately.
    vwvr6tom likes this.

caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    Trade in value is a joke. Sell it privately. The dealer has bills to pay, payroll, coffee, water, electricity, toilet paper, etc etc and even with all that, there needs to be enough profit for someone to get filthy rich or why run a dealer? It's the fact of life when dealing with them. Sell it privately.
    Not true, but real value to real value must be considered. The market changes quickly, and even if some sites are saying one value, all of a sudden there may be a large number of your same vehicle on the market by lease return or trade not yet reflected and the values be down.

OR, the same car brand new has too large of a discount or low financing available, and you have to account for "what would I pay to buy my own car used or CPO right now...instead of new...how much less?" that's the main kicker.

It always stinks, but reality to reality, you can work on trade value a bit but if a dealer has already worked with you on the new car pricing and you are comfortable with them, they will not be far off on trade. It's the total package and net deal, not one or the other.

This happens from time to time with new model releases, now a year or year and a half in. It's not that there are a massive ton of used ATS's everywhere yet...BUT, the new ones are almost too attractive with discounts and special financing. If someone can buy a new one with a better rate and decent discount, the used one is a bit less appealing.

If you want to make the move, work on it and tell them what you want. Don't stop or back off simply because of a first trade in number. Take it in person, say what you want for it and why, and try to make it work.

Never give up right away, it's an easier process if you say what you want, and why, with validated reasons.

Good luck.

bdwalters is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium

Try CarMax. The Cadillac dealership offered me only $8000 trade-in for my pristine TSX. CarMax later cut me a check for $9500 for it less than an hour after I entered the dealership. I imagine I could have gotten $11k+ for it private party, but I had a lot going on at the time and didn't have the time to deal with it.

With that being said, the ATSs are depreciating badly, even for a luxury car. I got mine for $9k under MSRP with the incentives, but I imagine I'm still hurting. The best strategy, from a financial perspective, is to buy a lightly used car and keep it for a while.
    vwvr6tom likes this.

Groomie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadllac ATS Performance 2.0 T Black Raven

Thanks for the reply's. First off, did not mean to ruffle anyone's feathers. Second, did not pay sticker nor any where near. Third, as a private business owner with a few miles that have to be driven, a lease is outta the question. Fourth, just trying to be informative as to how I see the ats holding value. Which in my opinion is not very good and I think the future will provide further evidence with that also. It is a great sports sedan, no question, which is ashamed. Not trying to sway anyone's opinion, just calling it as I have seen it. Supply and demand. Why do you think the jeep wrangler has the highest resale value in America. Easy, it's called demand. Just for the record, I traded in a 09 srt challenger which was supercharged and warranted through ole' mopar that I had 67k miles on it and had 47k in it new as purchased and in 2013 received 37k trade so the caddy, in my opinion is hurting a tad on value, but some others are doing just fine. Hope you enjoy your ats, as I have too. Just seeing what else was out there, that was all.

joewins is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6 RWD Premium

I was curious, kbb shows a private party value for my premium 3.6 as $36k, so it's depreciated about 20%. That seems about average or a little higher for first year, low milage. Not that I'm looking to sell it, enjoying it too much.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.