Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Suspension clunk slow speeds

23K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  Murph_13 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Does anyone else notice a very slight suspension clunk at very low speeds in parking lots? This clunk seems to be coming from the driver side. It is very slight and I only notice it around speeds 15 and below. I cant tell if its a stabilizer link, or maybe brake rattle, etc. After roughly 15mph there are 0 clunks and I can hit any type of bump, crack, etc and its completely quiet at those speeds.

For example the street my work is on is concrete and it has quite a few cracks. if I am driving 20-25 mph on it, no problems. When I get down to say 15 when I go over the cracks and expansion joints I get this noise. I also get the noise when there is a crack or expansion joint and I idle over it. But at speed no noise at all.

This might be normal, or I might be crazy as well.

#4 ·
oachalon,

Sincere apologies to read of your concerns with the suspension clunk. I understand that you're seeking thoughts and opinions, but send us a message if you want to take it a step further and get an official diagnosis. We will then reach out to a Customer Experience Manager at your desired dealer for additional assistance in these matters. If not, feel free to PM us your VIN so we can check our resources for any recalls.

William R.
Cadillac Customer Care

#7 ·
Mine is definitely not steering clunk. I can hit a bump at slow speed without the brakes applied and i get the clunk, if I go over the same bump at the same speed with the brakes applied no clunk. I can almost recreate that same clunk by tapping the brake pedal multiple times. Its definitely coming from drivers front. I know my dealership for whatever reason did the TSB on brake squeal by applying grease to the back of the pad. It makes me wonder if they reinstalled the pads correctly.

#32 · (Edited)
oachalon,

I couldn't figure out how to message you directly and hope you see this reply (very old post, i know).

I have the same clunk in the left front that you had (appears that you recently sold your ATS). I too can recreate the noise at a standstill by pulsing the brakes quickly. Did you ever determine what the cause was?

The noise I hear can be recreated by quickly pulsing the brakes like you mentioned and I hear it when rolling slowly to a stop and when accelerating from a complete stop (almost sounds like something rolling between stops; like a socket (tool) rolling between edges of a metal channel/rail if that makes sense).

#14 ·
My wife has a 2013 2.0t AWD ATS and we encountered this same clunking sound at slow speeds. The sound started out very subtle and would only occur at slow speeds (which we thought we were being picky about), but the next time I drove my wifes car around 8k miles it was worse and could be heard at normal driving speeds. It was taken to the dealership where they did work similar to Jaysonnguyen94, replacing what they called a ball joint with a lot of slop along with other front suspension pieces. Overall it took the dealership over a week to diagnose and "fix" the problem although we didn't get a feeling of confidence from the tech that the issue was fixed. So now we are at 11k and the clunk is back, again gradually coming back over time. Right now you hear the clunk at slow speeds like parking lots and coming out of the driveway. One other new interesting sound is a creaking that we hear right before the car stops or initially when you hit the gas which sounds like it is coming from the front suspension. So I am waiting to get this back into the dealership again(they can't seem to locate a service car) to give them another try at fixing this. As you might imagine we are not happy paying over 40k for a car with these issues, when the suspension is one of Cadillac's major selling points. I would gladly speak to a Cadillac Customer rep on the phone if that is possible.

#15 ·
Hi winburne24,

I apologize for the difficulties you have experienced with both the clunk noise and the frustrations of trying to have it fixed. If you would like to PM me your VIN, mileage, dealership, and contact information, I would be happy to discuss this with you further. Hope to hear from you soon.

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

#17 ·
Hi William,

I've had my 2014 ATS in the shop 2 times now for the same clunking noise in the front end at low speed. They replaced the left steering knuckle and a strut. The noise is still there and they are basically saying there is nothing they can do and that GM is working on it. Sorry, but this is not an acceptable answer for a $50k+ car.

What's the story?

Paul Sacchetti

#18 ·
It sounds like the dealer is just in over their head. They replaced parts (and billed GM for parts that didn't fix the problem). So they are not aces at diagnosis and may now be in a situation where GM might notice they are throwing parts at a problem if they try something else.

There are huge differences in dealer quality and consistency. If it was my car, I would take it to another dealer and give them a shot at it.

#21 ·
Wow, I have the same issue. I took my 3.6 Luxury RWD to Cadillac near Frisco, Texas and my service guy said one of the tech's looked at it and said " it is due to your run-flats getting closer to being worn out". All of my tires are well beyond legal to pass inspection and then some. I just laughed and said ok. Any solution to this problem would be much appreciated. I think it's either a brake pad vibrating or maybe a wheel bearing. Just my $0.02

#22 ·
Just an update with my situation. I went and got new tires for my car because it was time to do so. I have driven on the new tires for a couple hundred miles and haven't heard that sound again. I even tried to duplicate the noise in a parking lot at slows speeds with sharp turns while applying the brakes. The noise is gone!!! I also want to add, changing your tires to normal tires to avoid the run-flats is a must do in the cars. Before the new tires it felt like I was driving a log truck with no suspension. Yes, I know, our cars need the run-flats because of not having a spare, but I am willing to risk it for a better ride.

DEVGRU

#24 ·
Just another update: I have put a few miles on the new tires. I have yet to hear any more noise like I was hearing. If you are willing to get rid of the run-flats do it, it was the best decision I've made. Also, I might add, I did go to wal### to purchase a slime kit/compressor. Yes, I do understand that I might mess up my TPMS valve, but if I'm stuck on the side of the road who cares because it can be replaced later.

DEVGRU

#27 ·
Hi WhiteAts4,

I am sorry that you are experiencing this clunking noise in your ATS and I can understand how it would be concerning. Please keep us informed of how the dealership visit goes. If you feel you require any additional assistance, feel free to send us a PM and we can discuss your concerns further.

Enjoy your night,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

#29 ·
I have a 2014 AWD ATS that I purchased in January of 2015. I have been having this issue for months. My car only has just over 3k miles on it but the problem started with under 2k. I drive 1 mile in and out on a dirt road to my house the rest is mostly pavement and hwy. But I do have a gravel driveway. I notice the noise mostly coming down my driveway slowly…it is starting to sound like my wheels are coming off. I don’t notice is as much on paved roads. My GM dealer has replaced the knuckle joints and the front strut but the noise is still there. They have no idea what the problem is. I can feel it too. It is so frustrating. I have been doing some research and see that some talk about replacing the sway bar link being a possible fix. Has anybody had any luck replacing the sway bar link? I don’t want to keep tearing everything apart and potentially starting new problems.

#30 ·
Hello Everyone,

Does anyone else notice a very slight suspension clunk at very low speeds in parking lots? This clunk seems to be coming from the driver side. It is very slight and I only notice it around speeds 15 and below. I cant tell if its a stabilizer link, or maybe brake rattle, etc. After roughly 15mph there are 0 clunks and I can hit any type of bump, crack, etc and its completely quiet at those speeds.

For example the street my work is on is concrete and it has quite a few cracks. if I am driving 20-25 mph on it, no problems. When I get down to say 15 when I go over the cracks and expansion joints I get this noise. I also get the noise when there is a crack or expansion joint and I idle over it. But at speed no noise at all.

This might be normal, or I might be crazy as well.
oachalon,

Sincere apologies to read of your concerns with the suspension clunk. I understand that you're seeking thoughts and opinions, but send us a message if you want to take it a step further and get an official diagnosis. We will then reach out to a Customer Experience Manager at your desired dealer for additional assistance in these matters. If not, feel free to PM us your VIN so we can check our resources for any recalls.

William R.
Cadillac Customer Care
I've had the same clunk since I purchased the car. Took it three times to Patrick cadillac under full warranty for the issue. First, they replaced my break pads, as if that would solve the problem. The second time they claimedthey couldn't hear anything. The next time, they tried to tell me the noise is coming from, get this, teeny tiny peebles that may or may not be inside my tire. Of course, if I can't hear them with the tires spinning while my ear is next to the wheel on the lift, then it certainly can't be the cause of the clunk at low speeds. It's absurd because I get the clunk every so often at a standstill after I pull out of my driveway, stop, and turn my wheel to pull forward. I told them this and their response was to come back if the clunk is still there. The cherry on top is the fourth visit. Of course I came back and they told me I had to pay a diagnostic fee for them to look at it unless I would let them fix whatever they might find is wrong with the suspension. In that case the fee applies to the cost of repairs. Now that's what I call a bumper to bumper warranty. They can't figure it out for three visits and 15k miles, but when the mileage finally goes past the full warranty, all of a sudden they want me to buy diagnostic services! That is quote the strategy, delay and deny until the warranty runs then charge them for the problem they should have fixed under warranty 7 months ago. I'm just glad the Magnusson moss warranty act applies to pre owned cars with warranties. As you can tell, I am very unhappy with cadillac service. I want to love the car but every time I drive it I find my self sitting stiff just waiting for the next clunk or worse yet, for the wheels to fall off.

#31 ·
I take mine to Patrick Cadillac as we'll. Replaced steering knuckle and front joints. Had to have them realign car twice but I can still notice the clunk a bit. Just gonna have to wait until there's a fix. Other than that Patrick caddy has always been pretty good to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.