2013 ATS winter driving
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, 2013 ATS winter driving in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Hi all, does anyone else have the experience we have with our ATS in winter driving? We got the ATS ...
    David Gman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS

Thumbs down 2013 ATS winter driving

Hi all, does anyone else have the experience we have with our ATS in winter driving? We got the ATS in October and it drives fine on bare tar. When it snow, it is the most frightening car I have ever driven. My wife is afraid of driving the car and I cant blame her. I drove in on 1/4 inch of snow this morning and the car spun out twice, I had to drive on the highway at 25 mph and could barely keep it on the road. The dealer recommends expensive snow tires or trading for an all wheel drive. Really? a brand new Cadillac and you cant winter drive it as the factory set it up since it is too dangerous to drive? The service manager at the dealership told me they wont let people use them as loaners in the winter as they are too dangerous. Please help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: 2013 ATS winter driving

Moved from CUE to ATS forum.

----------

You didn't mention if you have a manual trans or an automatic or if it is RWD or AWD or what mode you have it set on or what tires it came with. A RWD Premium comes with summer tires which will be REAL bad in cold weather and worse on snow or ice. If its a RWD and you are used to driving a FWD car, you may need to learn all over how to drive in snow. If its an auto, you should use the snow/winter setting (don't recall what its called since I have a manual).
    T I T A N I U M likes this.

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium Build Date 12/21/2012

Sounds to me like you have RWD and summer tires like Hoosier explained. If you do have summer tires you should invest in snow tires if you have to drive in the snow. I understand you are frustrated by this but it is a performance car and summer tires are often the manufacturer norm for such cars. This was one of the main reason I went with AWD and sacrificed some performance because they came with all-season tires which is what I need for where I live I also liked the idea of being able to rotate them which you can't do with the summer tires that come with the ATS.

Now if your car came with all season and RWD you should use snow mode and go do some practice.

huna is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 AWD Premium Thunder Gray, Caramel, with peanuts

Performance tires with RWD are a disaster in the snow. You should never expect to drive a setup like that in the winter. I wouldn't blame Cadillac; that's a typical setup for a "performance car." Also helps with magazine testing results. I had three RWD cars in a row and had snow tires for all of them. A bit of a hassle, but not a big deal. It's more expensive, but keep in mind it also reduces mileage on the original tires. With my ATS, I went with AWD, which comes with all-season tires. Since you already own the car, I highly recommend snow tires vs. trading the car.

listrats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium RWD

If you have RWD with summer tires of course you cant expect to be driving around in snow. This car is a sports sedan and was packaged that way. Hell, even with snow tires, its still RWD it will not give you the AWD or FWD in the snow.. Everyone thinks "well I bought a Cadillac" so the car should be able to do everything and anything lol. Try driving a 400,000 Lamborhini in the snow for 10x the price of an ATS lets see how that goes for the Lambo lol

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

The summer performance tires are not recommended for use when the temps go below 40 degrees. When you put on winter tires the experts says replace all four tires, not just the rears.

exbagboy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium

Yeah, I have winter tires on separate wheels and it is brilliant in the snow.
    It would be cheaper to buy winter tires on 17" wheels then to get 18" winter tires on staggered wheels.

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

If you didn't get an AWD ATS, that's too bad. We had one of the worst winters in Ohio in a long time, and my AWD performed like a champ. I can't tell you how many 4 wheel drive Jeeps and SUV's I saw in snow drifts/or having issues. I had AWD on my previous STS and wouldn't be without it. RWD? Forget about it.
    Yplus likes this.

carpenter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '14 ATS 4 Black Raven 3.6 Premium

The AWD here in WI this winter has been spectacular. Gone are the days of waiting for a HUGE gap in traffic to get across a road because I will spin for 30 seconds while trying to get moving. I will never own another FWD or RWD car again (Well one that isn't a summer toy.) It's just so much nicer even if 4-6 inches of fresh snow.
    rustybear3 likes this.

listrats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium RWD

Summer tires are also bad for freezing temps even without snow they lose grip. What I am doing is I got a good set of Ultra High Performance All Seasons to get me through the winter and spring and fall and I keep the Summer tires on 3-4 months during the hot months. The way the tread ware is I can easily go years rotating between the two and never need to replace tires as long as I have the car. I recomend this, rather than winter tires, because unless your in an area that gets 10 ft of snow an average a year from September/October to March, your winter tires will be useless besides 3-4 days a year and youll need to replace your summer tires from the milage so now youll have three sets of tires on a brand new car. Waste of money IMO

BuffaloATS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

It's definitely the tires you have, I would not blame the manufacturer for your oversight when purchasing a vehicle with performance tires. I have a RWD ATS that I have driven absolutely everywhere this winter in Buffalo, NY on the base All-Seasons that come with the cheapest model. It has given me absolutely zero traction problems in all sorts of conditions. Tires are probably the most critical part of winter driving. If you put slick summer tires on a Jeep Wrangler it would give you the same exact results.

jkdiamond is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I've driven through a brutal Canadian winter on a RWD ATS with Winter tires. Outperforms my old FWD car. In fact this is the first year where my anti-locks haven't kicked in on me.
    Haven't been stuck once, couldn't be happier with the winter performance on this car.

Good afternoon - welcome to CF !!! Your account is now activated. Please update your profile to reflect correct birthdate (?? 1940), approximate location, car owned, and time zone (?? London). Do you really want to see threads from 2003 first, or view latest threads first ?? Use the Profile and Settings tabs ^^^

TyH2009 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

I have a RWD ATS with All Season tires, and with 150lbs of weight in the back, and some common sense, it does pretty good in the snow. Nothing like AWD, but it's not bad

SLA
    SLA is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T 6MT, 05 LGT, 97 M3

You need winter tires. Our RWD ATS on Blizzaks is better in the snow than my AWD Subaru on all-seasons. We've had just over 60 inches of snow here in Philly and haven't been stuck or in a sketchy situation yet.

If you are driving on summer tires in the snow, well, now you know why they are called summer tires.

As far as "expensive" goes...what value do you put on your own life? How about your wife's? I somehow imagine its a lot more than the $1000 or so for a set of winter wheels and tires.
    exbagboy likes this.

Hot Rod Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 Manual STD

More snow than usual this year in SE VA. My Manual ATS on all seasons is great. Even better than the FWD XTS (All seasons) I had as a loaner!

Fooling around today in the slick ice/hardpack and got the traction control to kick in on purpose. It works great. I think the stabilitrack also kicked in twice. I recommend to everyone to find an open section of slick road or parking lot and learn how to handle your car and how the safety features work and feel. It will build confidence, or in the case of summer tire car owners, convince them to buy winter or all season tires.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.