Cadillac ATS Manual Selling "Well," Still Being Refined
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Cadillac ATS Manual Selling "Well," Still Being Refined in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...efined-149025/ According to Cadillac engineers, the manual transmission variant of the ATS sedan is selling well and they're not done ...
    gmesam is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0t; manual, black on black

Cadillac ATS Manual Selling "Well," Still Being Refined

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...efined-149025/

According to Cadillac engineers, the manual transmission variant of the ATS sedan is selling well and they're not done refining the gearbox just yet. Both comments were made this week during the 2014 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, where Cadillac revealed a coupe version of the ATS. The new ATS Coupe will also feature the optional Tremec six-speed manual transmission, and apparently with further refinement from today's ATS ...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: Cadillac ATS Manual Selling "Well," Still Being Refined

Quote Originally Posted by gmesam View Post
    http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...efined-149025/

According to Cadillac engineers, the manual transmission variant of the ATS sedan is selling well and they're not done refining the gearbox just yet. Both comments were made this week during the 2014 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, where Cadillac revealed a coupe version of the ATS. The new ATS Coupe will also feature the optional Tremec six-speed manual transmission, and apparently with further refinement from today's ATS ...
    It's selling too well for the US buyer's wallet. There is no other explanation for the MSRP for the manual going up ~$1,200 (in the US) for 2014 other than the demand side of supply and demand. Someone from Canada posted that they can still get the same manual trans for the same price in 2014 as 2013. I guess not enough Canadians wanted the manual to justify the "added manufacturer markup" there.

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

That compares to the $1280 deduct I received for the manual on my 2013 2.0T. That is a big difference!

NanceMan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '11 335is 6MT, looking to add ATS 2.0T 6MT

I'm guessing someone has mentioned it elsewhere, but GM is definitely taking the manual seriously. It made one hell of a statement to me that the ATS Coupe they debuted had a manual. I was shocked when I saw that. BMW debuts the "spiritual successor" to the compact 3-series of yesteryear in the M235i and the auto show and press cars are all slushboxes...

It's a perfect storm for Cadillac, they're improving on what BMW's were when they were at their best and doing so at a time when BMW has clearly and horribly lost their way.

Side question, anyone know how many ATS' sold in 2.0T RWD configuration? The most telling stat to me would be how many of the ATS sold with the option for a stick had one spec'd, since industry wide take rates are usually on cars where a stick is offered in multiple vehicle configurations.

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    The auto in the BMW is FAR from a slush box. The ATS has the slush box...

Quote Originally Posted by Fraggy
    The auto in the BMW is FAR from a slush box. The ATS has the slush box...
    I will not disagree, but to me any torque convertor is a slush box. I've driven many ZF 8AT's, I'm just one of those die hard stick shift guys.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by NanceMan View Post
    I'm guessing someone has mentioned it elsewhere, but GM is definitely taking the manual seriously. It made one hell of a statement to me that the ATS Coupe they debuted had a manual. I was shocked when I saw that. BMW debuts the "spiritual successor" to the compact 3-series of yesteryear in the M235i and the auto show and press cars are all slushboxes...

It's a perfect storm for Cadillac, they're improving on what BMW's were when they were at their best and doing so at a time when BMW has clearly and horribly lost their way.
    Very true. When I was comparing, there was not a single new manual trans 328 in the entire state and every dealer told me they NEVER order one for stock because they are too hard to sell. Only special orders. I was shocked.

Side question, anyone know how many ATS' sold in 2.0T RWD configuration? The most telling stat to me would be how many of the ATS sold with the option for a stick had one spec'd, since industry wide take rates are usually on cars where a stick is offered in multiple vehicle configurations.
    And I would like to know if that manual trans take percent was for all ATSs or just the 2.0s, or just 2.0 RWD. If its for all, the percent for 2.0s RWD must be incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by NanceMan
    I will not disagree, but to me any torque convertor is a slush box. I've driven many ZF 8AT's, I'm just one of those die hard stick shift guys.
    I was that too. Sometimes I think I maybe should have gotten a manual to avoid the auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraggy
    I was that too. Sometimes I think I maybe should have gotten a manual to avoid the auto.
    They've got an advanced gearbox in the works that they elected to develop rather than use ZF's box. So it'll be fixed sooner than later, if you leased. I know every company is using that ZF box (in some configuration) and that worries OEM's should ZF have a major problem. As in would certain OEM's get fixes before they would.

Unfortunately the current crap slush box is a remnant of the GM that gave us the Chevy Aveo.

Quote Originally Posted by NanceMan
    They've got an advanced gearbox in the works that they elected to develop rather than use ZF's box. So it'll be fixed sooner than later, if you leased. I know every company is using that ZF box (in some configuration) and that worries OEM's should ZF have a major problem. As in would certain OEM's get fixes before they would. Unfortunately the current crap slush box is a remnant of the GM that gave us the Chevy Aveo.
    I know and I hope it's awesome. I'm a bit concerned about how GM tunes their transmissions though, because I've read that 8 speed in the CTS v sport is a bit lazy. Also, the GM made transmission in the E90 325/328's worked much better than our GM one, and it's probably a pretty close cousin.

Time will tell, and I'll hope for the best....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.