2.0T automatic - overly aggressive 6th gear?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, 2.0T automatic - overly aggressive 6th gear? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; 2014 2.0T automatic. In the few months I've had the car I've noticed that whatever logic is governing the automatic ...
    UUMickey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS

Question 2.0T automatic - overly aggressive 6th gear?

2014 2.0T automatic. In the few months I've had the car I've noticed that whatever logic is governing the automatic transmission is really aggressive about going into 6th gear. This is in both Sport and Touring mode. I was paying attention this week and saw it was going into 6th gear at 35mph. This is way too slow for 6th and the car is chugging and sluggish in that gear at that speed. I usually have to put it into manual mode, knock it down to 5th or 4th to get any pep out of it.

Has anyone encountered this before? Is this something Service can adjust? My previous car was a 6 speed manual and I never used 6th below 45mph. It just felt soft and sluggish if I tried.

Mick

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ben.gators is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Re: 2.0T automatic - overly aggressive 6th gear?

It seems that the transmission is programmed for fuel economy, therefore it goes to higher gear at lower speeds. I feel the same too. Sometimes I find the car in a gear that is too high for that speed.

Bryce2.0T is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Standard

The opposite can happen too. I was going almost 60 and it hadnt kicked into 6th yet

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce2.0T View Post
    The opposite can happen too. I was going almost 60 and it hadnt kicked into 6th yet
    remember the meme in Honda/Acura circles "my VTEC just kicked in yo!"

"Your PAL just kicked in yo!"

Ragtop 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

Shift points are the same in normal and sport modes. 38 mph is possible under the programming.

jbonacci is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 SRX4 Performance & '14 ATS4 Performance 2.0T

I notice it bogging when turning a corner. If I don't stay somewhat aggressive on the pedal, I get that low rpm shudder through the car as the rpms rise. I hate to beat a dead horse, but my '12 Regal GS was so much more responsive at any speed than the ATS. If I get on the ATS from a stop, it moves quick--but in traffic and a passing situation, you need to pretty much floor it to get the power out of it.

I am getting it tuned by a local shop, so hopefully that will help with this issue.

satlite440 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): tec at brotherton cadillac

good by warrenty... we can id aftermarket programming and it's traces that it leaves evan if you unplug it before you come in or have it flashed back to stock.. we can count how many events have been done...

Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

I actually like the stock shiftpoints and during daily driving (not spirited) I prefer touring. You get to ride the torque curve more in stop and go traffic.

It also remembers your driving habits...if you drive hard for a bit it adjusts especially in Sport mode.

The shudder you are feeling is torque converter clutch lockup and it only happens in very specific conditions. How many km's on your car? I'm wondering if it'll smooth out with more break in.

So far this is the best automatic trans programming I've driven for my driving style/preferences especially in stop and go traffic.

Johnm05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

You’re just not driving it hard enough lol I push mine especially in 2nd. When I feel like cruising I have to put it on touring or it will never hit 6 on sport. Remember the transmission adjust to your driving habits. My suggestions are either get a tune or drive it on manual mode for a few days and that should train your transmission.

UUMickey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS

PAL: Thanks for mentioning this. I had no idea what this was so I looked it up. I definitely feel that There is one curve/hill on my route home. If I hit that at the right speed and the light on top is green, the car flies. I never realized that was a feature.

As far as learning my transmission, my car just cleared the 2000 mile mark. I did not realize it was going to learn my driving habits. How long does that typically take? I can definitely drive with it in manual mode to drive in a more aggressive fashion to train it to do that. Again, something I wasn't aware of. With my last car I had gotten into the habit of driving pretty sedately to conserve gas. I have a super short commute (6 miles) and was getting really bad mileage. So I stopped driving it like a sports car and started driving it rather slowly. The mileage on my ATS is pretty bad too, but I read in other threads how temperature and distance affects this.

As you no doubt have noticed, it's winter in the Northern Hemisphere And I my commute is only 6 miles and I rarely drive farther than that, so I chalked it up to that.

Thanks for the insight everyone.

Mick

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.