I keep trying to overlook them but there really are a lot of problems with this car!
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, I keep trying to overlook them but there really are a lot of problems with this car! in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Recently had a new Malibu for a few years and not 1 single problem....it's getting harder and harder to accept ...
    bluecrayon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

I keep trying to overlook them but there really are a lot of problems with this car!

Recently had a new Malibu for a few years and not 1 single problem....it's getting harder and harder to accept why such a highly regarded and expensive car can possibly have so many issues. With 6k miles and in order the issues I've had:

Pollution canister replacement
    Loose/creaky drivers seat
    Gas tank replacement
    Moldy smelling a/c
    Rough idle
    Cue/radio blacking out
    Hvac blowing cold and hot air while synched
    Several warnings of power steering failure
    Vibration/noise under load

Really nothing terribly major, just getting more and more surprised by the sheer number of little issues. Still love the car but becoming increasingly more surprised considering my $16k Malibu had zero problems!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Re: I keep trying to overlook them but there really are a lot of problems with this c

Ah.....the ATS is only one year removed from being a brand new model and chassis from the ground up........your Malibu; not!!

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by rustybear3
    Ah.....the ATS is only one year removed from being a brand new model and chassis from the ground up........your Malibu; not!!
    True, but that's really not an excuse for that many issues, especially after spending $40K-$50K on a vehicle.

One or two things in 6K miles is maybe understandable, but not that much.

To be fair though, the moldy smelling AC is not unique to Cadillac and I think it's more common than you think.

I've experienced it with my last two Acuras, a Toyota Landcruiser, my previous CTS Coupe, and our current X5.

The V is still relatively new and it's been too cold for the AC compressor to engage that causes condensation to build up.

Re: I keep trying to overlook them but there really are a lot of problems with this c

Let's put this in perspective: I haven't had ONE...not One of the items listed by bluecrayon. I had, however, a bad Turbo and an intermittent headlamp....the Turbo was replaced and the headlamp fixed. That's it. Now, should I rant and rave and lament "what a terrible car", looked what happened to me etc. ( I know, bluecrayon that's not what you're saying...but others have). I'll bet some ATS owners had NONE of my problems....maybe a few have had more or different ones ......that's pretty typical of first and second year models. I knew that going in, with eyes wide opened. My wife's 2006 Honda civic has had no problems....should I now compare my ATS to hers? Would that really be fair? I'm sure the very first Honda Civics had their share of growing pains....just sayin'
    Ancient Mariner and bignole88 like this.

bluecrayon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    Yeah I'm not nearly as upset as many others, considering I've had no major problems and I'm pretty easygoing, I just sort of take things as they come and still appreciate the fact that I can have such a great car! I mean, there's still the awesome handling, power, excellent braking and awe inspiring good looks. I really do love the car and enjoy driving it every day. I do wish the seats were a bit more comfortable, the tranny was a little less finicky and of course the base stereo was better.....I can overlook a lot of issues because of all the great positives!
    Ancient Mariner likes this.

mcaffey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS
    Interesting to hear others are having problems. So far 13k miles on mine with no problems.

David is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 3.6; 1992 Cadillac Allanté

If you are having problems, then you have a problem! Obviously... I had had my ATS for a year now; NO problems; has been a fantastic car.

ep_83 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Black Raven 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
    Let's put this in perspective: I haven't had ONE...not One of the items listed by bluecrayon. I had, however, a bad Turbo and an intermittent headlamp....the Turbo was replaced and the headlamp fixed. That's it. Now, should I rant and rave and lament "what a terrible car", looked what happened to me etc. ( I know, bluecrayon that's not what you're saying...but others have). I'll bet some ATS owners had NONE of my problems....maybe a few have had more or different ones ......that's pretty typical of first and second year models. I knew that going in, with eyes wide opened. My wife's 2006 Honda civic has had no problems....should I now compare my ATS to hers? Would that really be fair? I'm sure the very first Honda Civics had their share of growing pains....just sayin'

My wife had a 2006 Civic (re-design year) that was always in and out of the dealership. It was never anything major, but seemed to have alot of electrical problems and I remember it having it's fair share of recalls. It's just the way it is with first MY cars. There's going to be people that have issues.

My ATS is a 2013. I haven't had a single issue.. not even a minor one..

bravnik is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium, Raven/Murano, Sunroof, CAP

I had the rough idle - Update fixed it.

That's all that I have had that are any issue to me. It's the first Gen of a new model. The moral of the story is that everyone should have learned NOT to purchase a first year model unless they can live with a few quirks and willing to deal with some issues. ALL First Gen cars have stuff that need to be worked out. You want to see what it could have been like? Just take a look at the first year TSB's for the RX8 (2004 I believe). By time I got my 2007 they were all worked out but I swear the TSB list for the first year is 2 pages long.

I love the car even with it's quirks. It drives fantastic, looks amazing both inside and outside and turns heads no matter where I go. On top of that I still see very few on the road and I like that just fine. I live in SF Bay Area where Lexus, BMW, Audi and Mercedes are dime a dozen. Hell I see 10x the Tesla's than my car (I live where they are made but still) I like not looking like everyone else. My next car will the the ATS-V based off of the wonderful experience I have had with this one.
    GJB and 14ATS4 like this.

mrasmussen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 premium 2.0t manual trans - white

hopefully these will see more in your area, although it is nice not NOT see your car all over the place.

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    I agree with what everybody has said, first and second model years can be a bit tough. My biggest concern and frustration, is that there seems to be no energy put into fixing the problems. I expect there to be problems, but I assume these problems can be fixed as well. And GM and Cadillac seen to have no interest in fixing the problem.

When the previous generation 3 series BMW came out there were many owners with locking steering columns. But guess what, it wasn't long before all the affected steering column were replaced with new ones and the newer production models no longer had the issue. And then when the 335's came out, they were high-pressure fuel pump problems, but almost from the very start new fuel pumps were being introduced one after the other. Unfortunately it took several rounds of feel pumps before a decent pump was identified and minimize the issue.

Nearly a year later, the USB ports still function intermittently, and there's been no fix.
    A year later there's only been one cue update, and all it seemed to fix was the power seat memory position. All other cue related problems still remain, and no new software has been introduced. That is what is frustrating, that shows they're not even putting any effort into fixing these problems.

Like I said, I knew going in that there would be first year problems, what I didn't know was that there would be no solutions put forth.

ep_83 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Black Raven 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by bravnik View Post

That's all that I have had that are any issue to me. It's the first Gen of a new model. The moral of the story is that everyone should have learned NOT to purchase a first year model unless they can live with a few quirks and willing to deal with some issues. ALL First Gen cars have stuff that need to be worked out. You want to see what it could have been like? Just take a look at the first year TSB's for the RX8 (2004 I believe). By time I got my 2007 they were all worked out but I swear the TSB list for the first year is 2 pages long.

I love the car even with it's quirks. It drives fantastic, looks amazing both inside and outside and turns heads no matter where I go. On top of that I still see very few on the road and I like that just fine. I live in SF Bay Area where Lexus, BMW, Audi and Mercedes are dime a dozen. Hell I see 10x the Tesla's than my car (I live where they are made but still) I like not looking like everyone else. My next car will the the ATS-V based off of the wonderful experience I have had with this one.
    ^^This. I doubt I'll be in a financial situation to be able to afford an ATS-V when my lease is up, but I'll more than likely end up with the V6 or perhaps the 2.0T coupe depending on my needs and price range. The car has been awesome.

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by bravnik View Post

I had a first year (20004) RX-8 also and you are correct. With that said only a few applied to my car by VIN and everything was taken care of over time and I had no regrets buying that first year car. I went into the ATS eyes wide open and have no regrets and it's well within my expatiations for a 1st production year.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
    I agree with what everybody has said, first and second model years can be a bit tough. My biggest concern and frustration, is that there seems to be no energy put into fixing the problems. I expect there to be problems, but I assume these problems can be fixed as well. And GM and Cadillac seen to have no interest in fixing the problem.

When the previous generation 3 series BMW came out there were many owners with locking steering columns. But guess what, it wasn't long before all the affected steering column were replaced with new ones and the newer production models no longer had the issue. And then when the 335's came out, they were high-pressure fuel pump problems, but almost from the very start new fuel pumps were being introduced one after the other. Unfortunately it took several rounds of feel pumps before a decent pump was identified and minimize the issue.

Nearly a year later, the USB ports still function intermittently, and there's been no fix.
    A year later there's only been one cue update, and all it seemed to fix was the power seat memory position. All other cue related problems still remain, and no new software has been introduced. That is what is frustrating, that shows they're not even putting any effort into fixing these problems.

Like I said, I knew going in that there would be first year problems, what I didn't know was that there would be no solutions put forth.
    Now I do have to agree with Fraggy's assertion as to the level of intensity GM seems to be putting toward these resolutions. Mazda had solutions before I noticed problems and GM does not seem able or maybe willing to make the investment in getting them fixed. One thing for certain is all dealers/service advisors are not up to speed and on the fixes and problems out there which is a communications problem not sure it its dissemination or receiving or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post

Then you missed the second update Fraggy which speed up the CUE considerabily, changed the female voice to be more realistic and pleasant and changed the 3D NAV display. I do agree, however, that another CUE update is long overdue....especially the promised app shop! Check with your dealer.

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
    Then you missed the second update Fraggy which speed up the CUE considerabily, changed the female voice to be more realistic and pleasant and changed the 3D NAV display. I do agree, however, that another CUE update is long overdue....especially the promised app shop! Check with your dealer.
    rusty, what 2d update? I got the one that came out in March I believe but no others have been available.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.