Finally intalled the OEM DRL and HID on a luxury ATS - Page 3
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Finally intalled the OEM DRL and HID on a luxury ATS in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I think he spliced into the hot wire for the headlights in order to run the foglights. It's not plug ...
    Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

Re: Finally intalled the OEM DRL and HID on a luxury ATS

I think he spliced into the hot wire for the headlights in order to run the foglights. It's not plug and play afaik.

louie1487 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Why not splice into the DRL's hot wire. This way it functions with your turn signal as well.

JetBlackNinja is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6L

Quote Originally Posted by yohaishi View Post
    Actually I ordered everything OEM from GM. The LED light, the trim bezel that you mentioned in the performance, and the horinzontal bright insert. I didn't modify anything.

----------

It is possible to do the upper also, but they just expensive. It will cost 1000 dollars for each side headlight kit. And I also need to order the harness from the performance, which costs about 200 dollars. not worth.. Anyway I think the hid and lower LED combination works perfect.

How much were the OEM DRL? I am considering getting a pair if they aren't ridiculously expensive like the headlights..

yohaishi is offline Cadillac Owners Member

They are not that expensive.
    around 110 each.
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBlackNinja View Post
    How much were the OEM DRL? I am considering getting a pair if they aren't ridiculously expensive like the headlights..

carpenter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS Black Raven 3.6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by yohaishi View Post
    They are not that expensive.
    around 110 each.
    and then the only other parts needed are the new "screens" that go in the lower opening and the trim bar that goes across the middle of the screens? Was there anything else you needed?

yohaishi is offline Cadillac Owners Member

As for the LED,no, that will be all you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by carpenter View Post
    and then the only other parts needed are the new "screens" that go in the lower opening and the trim bar that goes across the middle of the screens? Was there anything else you needed?

I didn't get part numbers, but I called the folks at ***************** and ordered the parts needed for the lower DRL install. I didn't need to have part numbers to order from them. I just told them what I wanted:

DRL: $110 each ($140 local Cadillac dealer)
    Lower "screen bezel": $37 each ($49 local)
    Chrome accent strip: $49 each. ($69 local)

For now I have foregone the chrome trim piece as I will have my grill and trim pieces on the front blacked out anyway. If i don't like the look without that trim piece I will just order it later, but it will be painted black regardless.

edited to remove links and company name. The forums has supporting vendors who sell these parts at discount - Moderator

Mike46iron is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Ats

Has anyone else done this yet? It can probably be done with the bumper on after removing the plastics under neath ..they say remove the bumper to install a hid kit but the can be done from the wheel well ....maybe splice into the park lights might be better just replace the orange turn bulb with a smd bulb between the fog and the smd bulb it should be real bright and it could run with just the parking lights .. The metal brake duct kit they sell on ebay with the light uses a relay and runs into the fuse box under the hood that turn on as soon as the car is started

mechevar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

I just got this done, it looks great, but I had to have a local shop do the work. The bumper has to come off and the shop ran a line from the wiring harness to the plug on the DRL. I have a 2.0T standard so the wiring connection was not available. Apparently its there on the Luxury trim? The parts listed by Carpenter are exactly what you need.

The whole project cost around $800 including labor and parts. That is not cheap, but the plain plastic inserts in the bumper were driving me insane. Paired with the machine finished 18s and HIDs (I HIGHLY recommend doing this if you have not), the car now looks like a performance, but for over $10k less.

Neuroleptic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Turbo manual

Mechevar or Carpenter; would you post some pics? I'm curious to see the DRLs without the chrome strip too.

jsehlms is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T LUX 6MT

Do the headlights on the performance and premiums have illumination going up the outer edge? I noticed my lux does not and wondered if thosealso lit up on the higher levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuroleptic View Post
    Mechevar or Carpenter; would you post some pics? I'm curious to see the DRLs without the chrome strip too.
    No pics yet. Mine will be a week or so before they are actually installed. I'm still a little unclear on the HID and upper LEDs though. Just for the sake of understanding let's say I were to pluck the headlight out of a premium line ATS, aside from the wiring harness is there anything else I would need just to light the HIDs and the upper LEDs? I was reading an auction on ebay from a seller that is selling the entire assembly and it read:

light bulbs are included
    ballast included
    AIR COOLER NOT INCLUDED

Not exactly sure what "air cooler" means.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by jsehlms View Post
    Do the headlights on the performance and premiums have illumination going up the outer edge? I noticed my lux does not and wondered if thosealso lit up on the higher levels.
    Yes, Performance and Premium have a different light housing which includes the LED strips and the adaptive headlights that aim into turns.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by carpenter View Post
    Just for the sake of understanding let's say I were to pluck the headlight out of a premium line ATS, aside from the wiring harness is there anything else I would need just to light the HIDs and the upper LEDs?
    Check into the adaptive function, too. The mechanism that aims the headlights into turns is part of those units. And that function has been known to go haywire and aim the lights all over the place. It would be good to know if there is a way to disable the adaptive feature and to aim the lights manually after install if the adaptive feature doesn't work in a Luxury or base. And if it does work in a luxury and base, how do you get service when/if they have that faulty aiming problem. In the case of cars with those lights, Cadillac updated the software via OnStar. I can't imagine them sending the update to cars that didn't have these lights when built and it might be hard to talk a dealer into servicing them under warranty.

Mike46iron is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Ats

I am going to take a crack at this with out taking the bumper off .. Just waiting on the weather to clear up

Has anyone replaced the orange turn bulb with a smd bulb ?
    louie1487 likes this.

jsehlms is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T LUX 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    Yes, Performance and Premium have a different light housing which includes the LED strips and the adaptive headlights that aim into turns.

----------

Check into the adaptive function, too. The mechanism that aims the headlights into turns is part of those units. And that function has been known to go haywire and aim the lights all over the place. It would be good to know if there is a way to disable the adaptive feature and to aim the lights manually after install if the adaptive feature doesn't work in a Luxury or base. And if it does work in a luxury and base, how do you get service when/if they have that faulty aiming problem. In the case of cars with those lights, Cadillac updated the software via OnStar. I can't imagine them sending the update to cars that didn't have these lights when built and it might be hard to talk a dealer into servicing them under warranty.
    Thanks.

I thought I read the '14s don't have the adaptive headlights, is this true? If so, looks like we'll all be looking for 2014 lights.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.