Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Rough idle like many of you on my 2013 ats 3.6l awd

35K views 87 replies 31 participants last post by  Thomas Mitchell 
#1 ·
I also have a rough idle on my 2013 ATS performance 3.6 AWD. My dealer cannot recommend anything that would correct this problem. Very frustrated that GM has'nt come up with some kind of fix for this problem. Also when I turn on my A/C I get a blast of mold odor that last for a minute or so. My dealer checked it out and saw nothing, they also sprayed some odorizer into the bottom vent but the problem still exists. I love the performance and handling of the ATS, but things like the problems I'm having create a bad reputation. Is anything being done about the rough idle issue? Laura M. from customer care, are you aware of anything in the pipeline?
Thanks

#6 ·
Hello Trundle923,

I understand you are frustrated with an ongoing rough idle concern and a moldy odor when using your air conditioning unit. Please send me a private message or email to socialmedia@gm.com. Include your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and dealership name and location. I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#7 ·
All the way up to 7k miles mine would have a rough idle. After that it all stopped. I have the 3.6 also and it pissed me off.A couple months ago I got in and it just stopped out of the blue. It might have something to do with me putting Marvel mystery oil in the gas a couple times. Might not be. It's gone now anyway. I put that in all my cars every couple months. My BMW it worked wonders. An old man at the boat launch told me about it as my boat motor was acting up. He had some and put some in my tank. Cleaned it right out after 10 minutes. Boat never ran better.

#8 ·
Dune, so what does the Marvel do? Years ago I remember someone telling me it had the lubricating properties of using leaded fuel back in the day. How much and how often do you use it and does anyone else on the forum have any MMO experiences?

#9 · (Edited)
Well it has some magical sh#t in it. Like piksy dust or something. It lubricates, cleans out fuel systems, I even put it in my oil in my jeep. I put it in all gas for my zero turn mower,chainsaws,my boat engine. When my boat wouldnt get to full power due to build up and stuff. I put it in the tank and gray smoke came out and boat motor ran better than ever. I put about acup full in a full or less in a tank of gas in a car. If you don't trust it try it in a small motor that has seen its day. You will be very surprised. Just don't get nervouse about the gray smoke. Its burning crap out of the system. And yeah its been around for close to a 100 years I was told. Never reseached it. Proof was shown to me by an 80 year old man. I tried to give him money but he wouldn't take it. He was still there when I got back to the boat launch. He saved me slot of money. I didn't even tell him how it worked out. He just said I told you. QUOTE=GJB;11487985]Dune, so what does the Marvel do? Years ago I remember someone telling me it had the lubricating properties of using leaded fuel back in the day. How much and how often do you use it and does anyone else on the forum have any MMO experiences?[/QUOTE]

#10 ·
What would the smoke do to a Cadillac's catalytic converter? Now there is some fun alliteration on "c" for this morning. :) However, I am really serious about the question.

By the way, my 2014 does not vibrate like some of the 2013s I have read about on here. I am just curious for far down the road...

This post has been deleted
#54 ·
Based on my experience this is not accurate.

----------

Copied off general discussion post by Belman. If you read the Bold type our engine is improved in this area..So what are the last Gen 3.6 experiencing? The one comment that does make sense with what we experience is it runs leaner. And maybe at idle our Cam is not always at the fully advanced position?

3.6 liter LFX code engine evolution

Overview
A new, more powerful and more efficient version of the 3.6L direct-injected V-6 – known by its LFX engine code.

Compared to the engine it replaces, the new LFX 3.6L V-6 features:
New cylinder head design with integrated exhaust manifold
Improved intake port design and larger intake valves within the cylinder heads
Longer-duration intake camshafts
Composite intake manifold
New fuel pump and isolated fuel rail
New, optimized-flow fuel injectors
Structural front cover and cylinder block enhancements
Stronger and lighter-weight connecting rods
Camshaft cap and throttle body design enhancements
E85 ethanol capability

"The changes to the 3.6L V-6 represent greater refinements to an already well-balanced package, including the use of new, lighter-weight components and enhancements designed to improve performance, efficiency and durability." GM

Aluminum Engine Block and Integral Oil Pan
The 3.6L V-6 VVT's engine block is cast from A319 aluminum alloy. This aluminum-intensive construction means less weight and greater efficiency than conventional cast-iron engines – and less weight translates to improved vehicle fuel economy. The sand-mold-cast block features strong cast-in iron bore liners, six-bolt main caps, and inter-bay breather vents. A cast aluminum oil pan is stiffened to improve powertrain rigidity and reduce vehicle vibration.

Rotating Assembly with Oil-Spray Cooled Pistons
The crankshaft is manufactured from forged steel, while the connecting rods are made of powdered metal that features a higher ratio of copper, which makes them stronger and enables them to be lighter. The V-6 VVT engine family was developed with pressure-actuated oil squirters in all applications. The jets reduce piston temperature, which in turn allows the engine to produce more power without reducing long-term durability.

Integrated Cylinder Heads/Exhaust Manifolds
The LFX's new cylinder head design has a revised intake port design that enhances airflow to the combustion chambers. Larger-diameter intake valves are used in the heads and work in conjunction with new, longer-duration intake camshafts to provide the engine's boost in horsepower. By using larger valves and holding them open longer, more of the air is pulled into the combustion chamber, for a more powerful combustion. The exhaust manifold is incorporated with the cylinder head, which saves weight, reduces complexity and helps promote a quicker light off of the catalytic converter, which further helps reduce emissions.

Direct Injection
Direct injection moves the point where fuel feeds into an engine closer to the point where it ignites, enabling greater combustion efficiency. It fosters a more complete burn of the fuel in the air-fuel mixture, and it operates at a lower temperature than conventional port injection. That allows the mixture to be leaner (less fuel and more air), so less fuel is required to produce the equivalent horsepower of a conventional, port injection fuel system. Direct injection also delivers reduced emissions, particularly cold-start emissions, which are cut by about 25 percent.

E85 Flex-Fuel Capability
E85 is a clean-burning, domestically produced alternative fuel composed of 85 percent ethanol alcohol and 15 percent gasoline. Ethanol is renewable and produces fewer greenhouse gas emissions in the combustion process. It can be produced from various feed stocks, including corn and wheat stalks, forestry and agricultural waste and even municipal waste.

Dual Overhead Cams with Four Valves per Cylinder and Silent Cam Drive
Four-valves-per-cylinder with inverted-tooth chain cam drive contributes to the smoothness and high output of the LFX. The engine incorporates a timing chain with an inverted tooth design. These smaller links engage at a lower impact speed, which decreases the noise generated. In conjunction with the smaller pitch chain, the number of teeth on the sprockets are increased, which increases the meshing frequency and further reduces noise and vibration. Four valves per cylinder and a silent chain valvetrain contribute to both smoothness and high output. Four-cam phasing changes the timing of valve operation as operating conditions such as rpm and engine load vary.

Variable Valve Timing
Variable valve timing (VVT), or cam phasing, helps the LFX deliver optimal performance and efficiency, and reduced emissions. It allows linear delivery of torque, with near-peak levels over a broad rpm range, and high specific output (horsepower per liter of displacement) without sacrificing overall engine response, or driveability. The system changes valve timing on the fly, maximizing engine performance for a variety of operating conditions. At idle, for example, the cam is at the full advanced position, enabling exceptionally smooth idle quality. Under other operating demands, cam phasing adjusts to deliver optimal valve timing for performance, driveability and fuel economy. At high rpm it might retard timing to maximize airflow through the engine and increase horsepower. At low rpm it can advance timing to increase torque. Under light-load driving it can retard timing at all engine speeds to improve fuel economy.

Composite Intake Manifold and Fully Isolated Composite Camshaft Covers
The upper intake manifold for the LFX is made from composite material and provides mass savings over an aluminum manifold, with a carefully designed structure that helps ensure quiet engine operation. The surfaces on the cam covers are shaped to limit the broadcasting of undesirable noise, and the covers use isolating perimeter gaskets, as well as isolating radial lips around the tubes that accommodate the spark plugs. These effectively de-couple the covers from vibration generated in the block and engine during combustion. Acoustic dampening has also been added for additional NVH improvements.

Refinement, Durability and Maintenance
Additional changes incorporated in the LFX deliver greater refinement, quietness and durability, starting with revisions to the front cover. It was redesigned with additional support ribs on the backside and an additional fastener to improve noise and vibration characteristics. The cylinder block is modified slightly to accommodate the front cover's additional fastener. Also, the camshafts feature new saddle-type caps for improved durability. Finally, the throttle body is updated with a new, digital throttle position feature that eliminates a previous mechanical contact for more trouble-free operation.

#18 ·
Finally, there's a bulletin for this. I hope it applies to the 3.6.

-----------------------------
ENGINE (PWS)
Bulletin No: PI-1092
Date of Bulletin: 01/06/2014
Summary Description:
CADILLAC: WHEN ENGINE IS AT OPERATING TEMPERATURE, A ROUGH IDLENESS IS FELT IN SEAT OF VEHICLE AND THE SOFTWARE NEEDS UPDATED CALIBRATIONS FOR REPROGRAMMING ENGINE CONTROL MODULE (ECM) AND FUEL PUMP CONTROL MODULE (FPCM), SEPARATELY. MODE

https://www.ownersite.com/tsb/tsbs.cfm/2013/CADILLAC/ATS/

#23 ·
I also run 93 most of the time in my 3.6. It's just a better fuel. People say there is no difference. I feel the difference in the higher fuel. If I have a choice to just get by on McDonald's or eating lobster. I choose lobster. That's just me though.I think my car deserves better than the bottom fuel. And I'm far from rich.

#25 ·
torkibe, I get your point and I do not think you are wrong. And I agree with your comment about the internet forums consensus with the caveat being high compression engines. In serious discussions on the subject this and detergent are the areas where they shift their opinion some. All the premium auto makers who require premium fuel are doing so because of the compression ratios. GM engineered the ATS to accept regular without causing damage but its still a high compression engine and no one likes pre mature (anything).. Like everything its a choice and nothing more, I'm not trying to make anyone switch I'm just doing my thing.

#27 ·
A colleague at work said his dad used to drive the fuel tanker trucks that deliver fuel to gas stations. He told me that when they had extra regular fuel on the truck and the gas station regular tank was full, his dad would just dump it in the premium underground tank. So, you really never know what quality fuel you get at the pump. Who knows if the octane is correct. In mountain states, "regular" is 85 octane, so you have to watch out. Same with Top Tier. Who knows if they really adhere to the guidelines for the Top Tier rating.

#30 ·
I too have a 3.6L AWD. I just picked up my car today from the dealership after receiving the newest ECM update. As for today it seems that the software update has fixed the issue. The car idles smoothly when fully warm and I haven't experienced the rough idle I had before. I will be interested to see over the next few weeks if this continues to be the solution and also what change it has, if any, to the fuel economy.

#41 ·
Took my 2013 3.6 Performance ATS into my dealer in California yesterday to get the rough idle fixed like a lot of people on this thread and they told my that there is no fix for this, and the ATS 3.6's "just do that". No no no a $40+ thousand dollar car should be able to idle correctly. I see a lot of people are getting this same issue fixed at other dealerships. I even printed out and brought Bulletin No: PI-1092 that Joewins posted a couple of weeks ago and my dealer said that was for the 2.5 liter only.

So my question is does anybody who has had this same rough idle issue solved have any Bulletin No or more specific information that I can bring to my dealer so I can get this fixed? And is Bulletin No: PI-1092 from January 6th 2014 really only for the 4 cylinder or is my dealership mistaken? Thanks for any help!

#44 ·
I don't know what was done to mine. But they said some updates were done and no more shaking. What are the miles on some of your cars here? This happened after around 9,000 miles that it stopped for my car. And I don't think it just happened to stop after an oil change by chance.

#45 ·
I just had my2014 3.6 in for service a few days ago and was told the same thing. No updates available and the ones that are were for 2013's. I explained how sometimes the car idles so smooth toy can't even tell it's running and others it's rough and seems as if it wants to stall but doesn't. Odd.

#47 ·
I was at dealer on Friday for service on my 3.6 and asked about my occasional rough idle. Like many of you was told there is currently no resolution. Any bulletins that were out did not apply to my 2013 ATS. Said until GM does something to address the issue there is nothing that can be done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.