Brand new ATS 2014, engine failure
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By rustybear3
  • 1 Post By Ancient Mariner
  • 1 Post By GJB
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Brand new ATS 2014, engine failure in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Yesterday i was very exited to get my new cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD performance, phantom grey, red interior. But i ...
    sebounet is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD performance

Angry Brand new ATS 2014, engine failure

Yesterday i was very exited to get my new cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD performance, phantom grey, red interior.

But i noticed right away a strange clicking noise, that increase with acceleration. It was late, so no mechanic on duty. But the salesman and some
    staff were here. They all listen and try to tell me it's normal with antipollution system blabla, it just the fan blabla. I was quiet sure it was more important. The car has only 5 miles on it. SO today i bring the car to see what a real mechanic thinks. It told me it's normal at first, but i show him where the noise was coming from and he said yes it's not normal. He came back and said there a problem on cylinder 3 and 4, possibly the cam. But since it's a brand new car GM ingeneers need to come and see before any job is done. So i lost my brand new car for one week for sure, and now driving a not fun car buick verano.

Coming from acura, infiniti, i'm dissapointed already to try again some US brand. 14 years ago i had an alero and i have had so many problem that i refused to take a GM brand car untill now. SO i gave them another chance, and voila.

May be i m not lucky. But what a good advertisment for them, because all my friends , coworkers etc... now all ask me why i have a verano and
    i need totell them all the story

I didn't even have time to take good pictures of my car

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Re: Brand new ATS 2014, engine failure

So what's your point? They're taking care of it....right? I had a turbo problem right out the gate......they replaced the turbo...problem solved. If they don't take care of it, then post and bitch. Only complaint I would have if I were you, is that they didn't give you another ATS or XTS to drive until yours is repaired. No freakin' way would I settle for a Buick loaner.

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Wow, what a bummer. This is really troubling. Something can break early on your car, I believe it is called infant mortality in the world of reliability analysis. That can happen every now and then and is just one of those things. However, this seems to have come from the factory with an easily detectable noise that somehow passed through all the quality control checks. Didn't the dealership check the car over before they delivered it? Caddy needs to not only find out what the problem is but how this car was delivered to the customer this way.

Ancient Mariner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Performance

If it is mayor engine failure at 5 miles on it, I'd ask for another new ATS to replace it. A friend at work bought a new Subaru last year and the engine suffered catastrophic failure on his drive home from the dealership! They put him in another new car of the same model very next day.
    Jagular likes this.

I wasn't here to bitch. Yes it can happens like i said. But i agree with some people here they should know it before deliver it to me. I just wanted to share my frustration. I have again my acura tl shawd 2012, so i don't mind the verano, i just use it to go from the dealer to my home. BUt good point, there was no cadillac, may be they could find one but i didn't want to wait. Also i would have ask a new car , but they don't have the same color combo, that's why i bought it. So i let them a chance.
    But my main point is i m a chemist and not a mechanic, and i noticed it right away. So why GM factory or the dealer weren't able to detect it ?

Yes i m frustrated, sorry to share it with you.

It's a great car to drive, even if the engine wasn't in it's top shape, i didn't notice it while driving.

I agree they take care of it , so it's a good point, but i hope everything come back like brand new fast, this make me stress me a little.

Having a new car must be a fun day and not begin with issues. It's like when it's your first day at a new job, if you arrive late the first day, it doesn't give a good impression to your boss. May be you have good reasons, and you will show that you are the best employee later, but firstly you don't score

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I have been to the Tonawanda Powertrain Plant in N.Y. after the assembly of most of the engine they have a Q.C. process where they spin or run the engine without fuel to test it I think they call it a cold run.

Then they pressurize the engines to check for leaks followed by a computerized camera system that scans the engines for anything wrong prior to a visual inspection before they ship the engine.

If you count that along with running the car on rollers for diagnostics and inspection after the car is assembled and then a drive during PDI.

I don't think you could do any more than that without people complaining about the amount of miles put on their brand new car.

David is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 3.6; 1992 Cadillac Allanté

Sorry, too, about your engine problem; I'm sure you are very frustrated, etc. Ask my next door neighbor about his BMW 5 series (2010); the transmission went out at 5,000 miles.

WannaV is offline Cadillac Owners Member

That sucks.... if it is not an easy fix I would get a new car and not settle for an engine swap. They can dealer locate one like yours. Also, they should have given you a Cadillac loaner - good luck getting it resolved - I understand what you are saying and it isn't pleasant to fork over that much $ and have uncertainty on what is going to happen.

thank you everyone. They are going to open the engine today, and coming back to me on Monday. I don t know if there is like a satisfaction warranty for 30 days or money back or exchange

----------

Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK View Post
    Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I have been to the Tonawanda Powertrain Plant in N.Y. after the assembly of most of the engine they have a Q.C. process where they spin or run the engine without fuel to test it I think they call it a cold run.

Then they pressurize the engines to check for leaks followed by a computerized camera system that scans the engines for anything wrong prior to a visual inspection before they ship the engine.

If you count that along with running the car on rollers for diagnostics and inspection after the car is assembled and then a drive during PDI.

I don't think you could do any more than that without people complaining about the amount of miles put on their brand new car.
    it s impressive so there is someone that don t do his job somewhere in this chain. Cadillact told me this v6 , 3.6 is a new motor for gm. i m really surprised

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by sebounet View Post
    thank you everyone.

----------

it s impressive so there is someone that don t do his job somewhere in this chain. Cadillact told me this v6 , 3.6 is a new motor for gm. i m really surprised
    the 3.6 has been around for some time. GM has it in the Camaro, Lacross, SRX just to name a few.

That's what i told him but he insisted. Because he was talking about some spare parts that might take a long time to be available. So i said since you are selling this engine, there must be alot of spare parts available.

I a little concerned about the repair, because i don't know if they will be able to do it like a brand new build in factory

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by sebounet View Post
    That's what i told him but he insisted. Because he was talking about some spare parts that might take a long time to be available. So i said since you are selling this engine, there must be alot of spare parts available.

I a little concerned about the repair, because i don't know if they will be able to do it like a brand new build in factory

I understand your concern but you have 5 years/100,000 miles to get it right (and roadside just in case). I know the effort involved on your part is the issue but they know they need to get it right because you have a lot of time to verify it. For peace of mind if it seems fine when you get it back find an good independent shop to test it and give it a going over. It might be worth it if you are really concerned. I hope all goes well and this will be behind you and you can finaly enjoy the car.
    sebounet likes this.

Here is an update. I don't know exactly what's wrong. Probably a cam shaft or two.

SO they decided to change the whole engine by a brand new engine. I prefer this than letting them play inside the engine. I hope everything will be well connected.

In few days i should have my new car again

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by investor74
    Wow, what a bummer. This is really troubling. Something can break early on your car, I believe it is called infant mortality in the world of reliability analysis. That can happen every now and then and is just one of those things. However, this seems to have come from the factory with an easily detectable noise that somehow passed through all the quality control checks. Didn't the dealership check the car over before they delivered it? Caddy needs to not only find out what the problem is but how this car was delivered to the customer this way.
    That was the first thing I thought of...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.