crappy satellite radio reception
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, crappy satellite radio reception in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Is it just me or do all ATS's have crap satellite radio reception? I'm talking like when I'm next to ...
    turbo_ats is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T 6-speed

crappy satellite radio reception

Is it just me or do all ATS's have crap satellite radio reception? I'm talking like when I'm next to a building or trees etc, sat radio keeps cutting out. I've had sirius in other cars before and it worked great in all of them through the mountains. This reception in the ATS is ridiculous.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    I just thought that's how it always is. Didn't realize it's an ATS issues

rspitler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 3.6 Premium Crystal Red Tintcoat ATS
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo_ats
    Is it just me or do all ATS's have crap satellite radio reception? I'm talking like when I'm next to a building or trees etc, sat radio keeps cutting out. I've had sirius in other cars before and it worked great in all of them through the mountains. This reception in the ATS is ridiculous.
    There are dropouts in satellite reception everywhere. Especially next to buildings or trees. The difference I believe is the radio and how much of the signal is buffered or stored ahead. The more buffering the less you will notice the dropouts.
    turbo_ats likes this.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Re: crappy satellite radio reception

ATS is fine all 3 of my cars 07 malibu 13 SRX and 14 ATS give the exact same performance and cut out under the exact same bridges and tunnel and drive thru food places. So I don't think there's a problem, if you do you may want to get your car looked at

torkibe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6

I think it may be the Satellites and frequency differences between XM and Sirius. Even though they are now the same company on paper, as far as I know they still operate primarily on their independent equipment. My BMW had Sirius, and dropouts were few and far between. In fact, they were in the same exact spots almost everywhere I traveled on a daily basis. In my Infiniti and now my ATS I have XM and I have far more issues in the same areas that I traveled before.

rspitler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 3.6 Premium Crystal Red Tintcoat ATS
    For those that are interested, there are 5 XM and 4 Sirius satellites in orbit. XM uses the 2332.5 - 2345.0 MHz and Sirius uses 2320.0 - 2332.5 MHz bands. My opinion is that XM has more satellites and therefore better coverage. By the way, the latest satellite launched broadcasts to both services.

Why does this matter? I'm hoping that the bashing of the ATS might slow done a bit. I'm not saying it's a perfect car (mine has some of the same problems as mentioned in these forums) but to quit nit picking such minor and irrelevant issues that are completely out if the control of any car manufacturer. And don't get me started on HD.
    Ancient Mariner likes this.

Ragtop 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

I've been surprised by how much interference trees must cause. In my vette, I've had XM drop out on rural interstates that were close to tall trees. XM drops here and there on the ATS; but it is no worse than my vette.

The HD radio stations in DC sound better than XM. While HD radio is not commercial free, I'm not sure I'll keep XM given the difference in audio quality compared to HD, and the fact that I can buy a fair amount of music for XM's monthly fee.

Quote Originally Posted by rspitler View Post
    For those that are interested, there are 5 XM and 4 Sirius satellites in orbit. XM uses the 2332.5 - 2345.0 MHz and Sirius uses 2320.0 - 2332.5 MHz bands. My opinion is that XM has more satellites and therefore better coverage. By the way, the latest satellite launched broadcasts to both services.
    While you're entitled to your opinion and I commend your ability to read a wikipedia page, you are wrong . But seriously, that is a leap in logic and an oversimplification. There are many more factors that go into coverage; position of satellite, broadcast spectrum, terrain, transponder strength, etc. Mathematically XM may have chance of having better coverage, but if they have (and I'm totally just making a point here, as I have no idea where they are) 4 Satellites in orbit above the Southern hemisphere and only 1 above the Northern, then people in South Africa will probably get great coverage, but not so much in North America.

Quote Originally Posted by torkibe View Post
    (...I have no idea where they are) 4 Satellites in orbit above the Southern hemisphere and only 1 above the Northern, then people in South America will probably get great coverage, but not so much in the North.
    Only in satellites geostationary orbit have a fixed position relative to a point on earth. Many fly at lower altitudes in an inclined orbit and thus pass over northern and southern hemispheres in the process of making an orbit. To provide steady service from a non-geostationary orbit, a fleet of satellites is used since no one satellite is in constant position to provide service to given area and a handoff is made as they fly into and out of a service area. With geostationary, one satellite is all that is needed to provide coverage to a given area, assuming the bird was designed with adequate bandwidth to handle all the broadcast content. To serve very different parts of the globe would require multiple geostationary satellites.

You can probably find whether XM or Sirrus is using geostationary or lower altitude satellites.
    --------------------
    EDIT: This paper has diagrams showing that XM uses geostationary orbits and Sirrus uses inclined orbits. You can see the orbits in the pictures.
    http://ccar.colorado.edu/asen5050/pr...2009/washburn/

Quote Originally Posted by Ragtop 99 View Post
    Only in satellites geostationary orbit have a fixed position relative to a point on earth. Many fly at lower altitudes in an inclined orbit and thus pass over northern and southern hemispheres in the process of making an orbit. To provide steady service from a non-geostationary orbit, a fleet of satellites is used since no one satellite is in constant position to provide service to given area and a handoff is made as they fly into and out of a service area. With geostationary, one satellite is all that is needed to provide coverage to a given area, assuming the bird was designed with adequate bandwidth to handle all the broadcast content. To serve very different parts of the globe would require multiple geostationary satellites.

You can probably find whether XM or Sirrus is using geostationary or lower altitude satellites.
    --------------------
    EDIT: This paper has diagrams showing that XM uses geostationary orbits and Sirrus uses inclined orbits. You can see the orbits in the pictures.
    http://ccar.colorado.edu/asen5050/pr...2009/washburn/
    I know... I didn't mean to imply (and as I said I didn't know specifically where the XM/Sirius Satellites are) that XM and Sirius had satellites there. Just speaking of the line of site nature of Satellite signals.

mrstecks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

Mine only drops out under some bridges. Never had problems with buildings or trees.

OK. I agree that the more satellites doesn't necessarily mean their coverage is superior to a fleet with fewer satellites. I was just trying to explain that your example does not happen (e.g., that a satellite can orbit only the southern hemisphere), at least as far as I've seen.

Maxplot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 3.6 - Crystal Red, 2013 SRX Platinum Ice

To me it does not matter if it cuts out or not. I will not use it as I find the sound quality bad. The signal must be compressed a lot as to my ear the sound sounds muffled compared to FM. XM/Sirius needs to uncompress their signal and improve the sound spectrum before I will renew my subsription.
    rustybear3 likes this.

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

All XM satellite radios (and I've rented and ridden quite a few vehicles equipped with XM) and I mean ALL sound fairly inferior to me because of signal compression. I discovered Pandora and haven't looked back. For the $36 bucks a year (ad free) I can create hundreds of radio stations, genres, etc. with far superior sound to XM.

Quote Originally Posted by rustybear3
    All XM satellite radios (and I've rented and ridden quite a few vehicles equipped with XM) and I mean ALL sound fairly inferior to me because of signal compression. I discovered Pandora and haven't looked back. For the $36 bucks a year (ad free) I can create hundreds of radio stations, genres, etc. with far superior sound to XM.
    I was thinking about using pandora. how much data does pandora consume in an hour if you stream it to the car?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.