I have some 0-60 times - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, I have some 0-60 times in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by Ragtop 99 I prefer a drag strip or going off the ECM data compared to hand held ...
    donavo is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

Re: I have some 0-60 times

Quote Originally Posted by Ragtop 99 View Post
    I prefer a drag strip or going off the ECM data compared to hand held instrumentation. In the past I've seen people post optimistic 1/4 times that were unable to be replicated at the track. The handhelds are ok for confirming improvements from major modifications or improvements in driving skill.

Donavo, a few thoughts here. I agree that runflats are heavier but the difference is more like 4 - 7 lbs depending upon tire size (assuming stock ATS sizes). Often the weight savings is enough to allow for an upsized tire & rim package and still save weight. Given a typical not runflat is going to be 20 - 25lbs for stock ATS sizes, that is less than a 50% increase in weight. For example the stock size 17" Michelin MXM4 weighs 22lbs, while the MxM4 ZP (runflat) weighs 27lbs.

Moving on to the OP, his 17" tires have more sidewall than will someone using an 18" or 19" rim. Smaller wheel size means the aspect ratio is higher and more sidewall provides for better flex at launch. I realize that runflats don't have much flex, but for drag racing I'll start with the smaller rim if I have a choice. If the OP doesn't have them fully inflated (deliberately or simply due to the cold weather) they'll launch better than a fully inflated 18" tire of the same compound. Also remember the OP is in PA. It's not exactly hot this time of year so the OP could be testing in low DA air. Low DA = more power. It's very possible the OP is testing in lower DA than used for reported specs.
    good point on the lower temp. as far as tire weight goes, while i was at the shop getting new wheels, i lifted the stock runflat tire and that thing was heavy enough for me to struggle lifting it with one hand. not saying im weak or anything but man it was un-expected heavy. whereas the regular tire, much thicker than the runflat (225 vs 275) was a little bit lighter if i remember. im basing it on that difference.

Jakb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Ragtop 99 View Post
    I prefer a drag strip or going off the ECM data compared to hand held instrumentation. In the past I've seen people post optimistic 1/4 times that were unable to be replicated at the track. The handhelds are ok for confirming improvements from major modifications or improvements in driving skill.

Donavo, a few thoughts here. I agree that runflats are heavier but the difference is more like 4 - 7 lbs depending upon tire size (assuming stock ATS sizes). Often the weight savings is enough to allow for an upsized tire & rim package and still save weight. Given a typical not runflat is going to be 20 - 25lbs for stock ATS sizes, that is less than a 50% increase in weight. For example the stock size 17" Michelin MXM4 weighs 22lbs, while the MxM4 ZP (runflat) weighs 27lbs.

Moving on to the OP, his 17" tires have more sidewall than will someone using an 18" or 19" rim. Smaller wheel size means the aspect ratio is higher and more sidewall provides for better flex at launch. I realize that runflats don't have much flex, but for drag racing I'll start with the smaller rim if I have a choice. If the OP doesn't have them fully inflated (deliberately or simply due to the cold weather) they'll launch better than a fully inflated 18" tire of the same compound. Also remember the OP is in PA. It's not exactly hot this time of year so the OP could be testing in low DA air. Low DA = more power. It's very possible the OP is testing in lower DA than used for reported specs.
    Good Points
    Also the OP doesn't mention if his car is AWD or RWD
    for turbo cars in most situations all else being equal auto AWD will be faster in acceleration then Manual RWD

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

donavo,
    I’m familiar with the construction of run flats but I didn’t realize they were so heavy. As an Engineer I’m sure you realize that it’s not just the weight that must be linearly accelerated; it’s where the wheel/tire’s weight is located. Rotational acceleration of a wheel/tire is a function of its mass moment of inertia. For a given axial torque, rotational acceleration will be slower in a wheel/tire that has its mass concentrated near its outer circumference. For any given weight of a wheel/tire combo, it’s better to have the mass nearest the rotational axis. Bert

Ragtop 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    good point on the lower temp. as far as tire weight goes, while i was at the shop getting new wheels, i lifted the stock runflat tire and that thing was heavy enough for me to struggle lifting it with one hand. not saying im weak or anything but man it was un-expected heavy. whereas the regular tire, much thicker than the runflat (225 vs 275) was a little bit lighter if i remember. im basing it on that difference.
    Good aftermarket wheels tend to be lighter than stock. Combine that with saving some pounds on the tires and I totally believe you when you state that you could easily feel a difference when swapping to aftermarket products. I went from 285/19s runflats on stock rims to 325/19s with aftermarket rims on the rear of my vette and still saved a couple pounds.

Bertha Blues raises a good point on rotational mass, but I've never done the calculations. The larger diameter rims appear to concentrate the mass further out on the rims, but a good aftermarket tire & wheel combo typically has less mass if the overall width is not changed.

transam00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 T

Here are the rest of the stats . 60 ft. 2.0 1/8 mile 8.85@79.7.
    10-.30
    20-.97
    30-1.72
    40-2.73
    50-3.87
    60-5.27
    70-6.88

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.