Compare ATS Premium RWD With Mag Ride to Other ATS RWD Models
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Compare ATS Premium RWD With Mag Ride to Other ATS RWD Models in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; The only ATS with Mag Ride is the Premium. Does that ride any smoother than the Lux, Perf with standard ...
    artscadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS With Sport Perf Pkg

Compare ATS Premium RWD With Mag Ride to Other ATS RWD Models

The only ATS with Mag Ride is the Premium.

Does that ride any smoother than the
    Lux, Perf with standard shocks?

I know Premiun RWD has FE3, so it should corner faster than the others, but is the Mag Ride noticable or is it only there to help soften the FE3 firmness?

I don't see why Mag Ride isn't an option on Lux or Perf models. Is Cadillac saying it's not needed there?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: Compare ATS Premium RWD With Mag Ride to Other ATS RWD Models

Quote Originally Posted by artscadillac View Post

I know Premiun RWD has FE3, so it should corner faster than the others, but is the Mag Ride noticable or is it only there to help soften the FE3 firmness?

I don't see why Mag Ride isn't an option on Lux or Perf models. Is Cadillac saying it's not needed there?
    The main benefit is that you have two settings instead of one like with the non magnetic shocks. Yes the MRC can react and make limited adjustment moent by moment but the big difference between sport mode and not is the baseline stiffness.

In the non-sport setting, MRC is a very big improvement on bad roads. If you only or almost only drive on smooth roads, there may be little or no benefit depending on your personal likes.

In the sport setting, some owners don't like the stiffness on the street. On a smooth track, its a little better than the non MRC on a rough track, its worth more.

But the downside is it only has two settings.

Because of that, someone really into performance driving on weekends would prefer an adjustable coil-over system to the MRC. And on the road its almost a crime they didn't provide more settings considering how easy it would have been. I was very disappointed in the MRC because of the lack of adjustability.

I still would have bought it if roads were bad where I lived, but they aren't, so I ordered a Performance.

If you test performance back to back, don't forget that the MRC also comes with stickier tires, which conveniently makes it impossible to compare suspension apples to apples. The tires make a much bigger difference in the handling than the MRC does. So if someone wants stickier tires and doesn't want to swap tires right away, that's a reason to buy premium. But the MRC cars also come with staggered wheel widths which means you can't rotate them, just swap sides.

Good luck.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    The main benefit is that you have two settings instead of one like with the non magnetic shocks. Yes the MRC can react and make limited adjustment moent by moment but the big difference between sport mode and not is the baseline stiffness.

In the non-sport setting, MRC is a very big improvement on bad roads. If you only or almost only drive on smooth roads, there may be little or no benefit depending on your personal likes.

In the sport setting, some owners don't like the stiffness on the street. On a smooth track, its a little better than the non MRC on a rough track, its worth more.

Because of that, someone really into performance driving on weekends would prefer an adjustable coil-over system to the MRC. And on the road its almost a crime they didn't provide more settings considering how easy it would have been. I was very disappointed in the MRC because of the lack of adjustability.

I still would have bought it if roads were bad where I lived, but they aren't, so I ordered a Performance.

If you test performance back to back, don't forget that the MRC also comes with stickier tires, which conveniently makes it impossible to compare suspension apples to apples. The tires make a much bigger difference in the handling than the MRC does. So if someone wants stickier tires and doesn't want to swap tires right away, that's a reason to buy premium. But the MRC cars also come with staggered wheel widths which means you can't rotate them, just swap sides.

Good luck.
    you forgot the Premium only Limited Slip Differential, between that the bigger wheels, stickier tires and MRC, and the added competitive mode to the traction control, and you have a pretty compelling package performance wise. the 17" wheels/tires on my turbo standard stick HARD, its a great turning car, and responds nicely to high G mid turn adjustments. the premium turbo i drove friday on the other hand felt faster and i have yet to successfully break loose the rear end in a gracefull way in my car like i did that premium. on mine traction control keeps the car stuck, and when turned off, the back kinda wants to run away from you forcing you to back off the power, the premium did kick out but it didn't scare you doing it, and just a little corrective turn of the wheel it kept on going without you backing off. I don't know if thats the stickier rubber, bigger rear wheels, the LSD, the MRC but it was cool as hell.

i sorta think these levels are mixed up but Cadillac has a lot more money and and smart people than i to come up with these things.

if these were WOOKILLACS there would be base cars just as they are but with LED for brand identity (just like on CTS) the luxury would be exactly that, the base plus all the go comfy stuff and none of the go fast stuff, the performance would be base plus all of the go fast stuff and none of the go comfy stuff, and the premium would have all the go fast stuff and all the go comfy stuff.

but im sure if you do that you would end up sorting your customers into slots, and im sure the current scheme is designed to entice customers up the range.

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    you forgot the Premium only Limited Slip Differential, between that the bigger wheels, stickier tires and MRC, and the added competitive mode to the traction control, and you have a pretty compelling package performance wise. the 17" wheels/tires on my turbo standard stick HARD, its a great turning car, and responds nicely to high G mid turn adjustments. the premium turbo i drove friday on the other hand felt faster and i have yet to successfully break loose the rear end in a gracefull way in my car like i did that premium.
    No, didn't forget. First, you are wrong about the LSD being Premium only. EVERY 2.0T/manual trans car comes with LSD. My Performance was ordered with the same wheels that are standard on the Premium but without the staggered width I hate and without summer tires. Maybe they dumb down the settings for Standard and Luxury because my Performance is ridiculously easy to get any amount of slip I want. I'd like to learn more about if the Standard and Luxury have different nannies than the Performance and Premium. First I've heard this but would not be surprised.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Yeh Performance trim for the Automatic ATS should just be called the HID,LED and wheels package
    Nothing Performance oriented about it IMO

Maxplot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 3.6 - Crystal Red, 2013 SRX Platinum Ice

Quote Originally Posted by artscadillac View Post

Funny, I just posted in another thread about my MRC. I don't think MRC makes my car ride any smoother. If anything I think it is harsher riding. MRC makes it handle real nice however. When I put MRC in Sport mode, to me it feels closer to the ride I feel when I ride in a buddy's Corvette (I'm not saying the ATS is like a Corvette). Sport mode is very stiff and does not allow the car to lean much at all in turns.

Touring mode is what I use by default 95% of the time and I find it more than sporty enough for me. Like I stated in the other thread, I wish there was another mode to select for a cushier softer ride. So, If you want MRC for a softer ride, you will be dissatisfied, at least that is my opinion. The run-flat summer performance tires ride stiffer too, and that might make a difference. When these tires wear out, I am going to replace them with high performance all-season run-flats that I have read give a little softer/quieter ride without giving up much in performance.

Ragtop 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxplot
    Funny, I just posted in another thread about my MRC. I don't think MRC makes my car ride any smoother. If anything I think it is harsher riding. MRC makes it handle real nice however. When I put MRC in Sport mode, to me it feels closer to the ride I feel when I ride in a buddy's Corvette (I'm not saying the ATS is like a Corvette). Sport mode is very stiff and does not allow the car to lean much at all in turns. Touring mode is what I use by default 95% of the time and I find it more than sporty enough for me. Like I stated in the other thread, I wish there was another mode to select for a cushier softer ride. So, If you want MRC for a softer ride, you will be dissatisfied, at least that is my opinion. The run-flat summer performance tires ride stiffer too, and that might make a difference. When these tires wear out, I am going to replace them with high performance all-season run-flats that I have read give a little softer/quieter ride without giving up much in performance.
    I'm not sure that summer runflats are worse than all seasons. The big difference would be to switch to non-runflats as runflats have stiff sidewalls.

bbrown450 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS-Performance
    I concur with Hoosier.. one of my options with the buy back was to pick another ATS. I went straight for the premium (I have a fully optioned 3.6 Perf.). I have to say the car felt more planted and it is a travesty that they did not allow for more settings tis the beauty of the system to be able to tap into it's spectrum of adjustments. I drive almost exclusively with the paddles, have since 2008 in my C6 coupe. so for my driving I appreciate the "feel" it gave me over the standard shocks.

MadPhantom is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T

Test drove a luxury model and a premium with mrc pretty extensively…….found the premium had a harsher ride and didn't really feel like the handling was that much better IMO, maybe if you are doing a lot of high speed highway runs or doing track work you would see the benefit but for a daily driver that I like to drive fast from time to time the regular suspension in my luxury was more than sufficient.

bbrown450 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS-Performance
    there you have it 4 people will tell you different things of that I am sure, go for what makes you smile my friend

ben.gators is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Good luck.
    I never have owned a Cadillac with MRC, but my previous Cadillac, Cadillac Seville STS, was equipped with CVRSS: the continuously variable road sensing suspension. The key words are "continuously" and "variable". This technology was the grandfather of MRC, but actually more complicated and more expensive than the MRC, and eventually it was replaced by more dependable MRC system. CVRSS has oil filled struts and shocks, but the valves are automatically adjustable by the CVRSS. Therefore damping of each corner was adjusted by CVRSS computer based on road condition, speed, height of each corner of the car ( angular momentum) etc....

CVRSS does not have any setting. The system itself adjusts itself based on the readings from the sensors. When MRC was introduced, Cadillac Seville STS, as the technology flagship of Cadillac's lineup, was the first to receive it again. If I am not mistaken, the first generation MRC system in Seville STS, doesn't have any setting button either; the system autonomously reconfigures itself.

At some point MRC systems started to have two settings. I have seen it first in Chevy Corvettes that were equipped with MRC.

Anyway, my main point is that MRC (or CVRSS) is supposed to adjust itself automatically and virtually instantaneously based on the road and car's conditions, and that is the main reason for this expensive system. If it doesn't, and if the reconfiguration is limited to manual adjustment between truing/sport, then there is no point for this expensive, complicated system. And as you mentioned an adjustable coil-over system gives you the same functionality, but at a lower cost.

But again, I have heard very positive feedback from Escalade, SRX, or STS owners about their MRC systems. I don't know why I am not hearing similar feedback from ATS owners!

I'm beginning to think the difference in opinions on the MRC touring mode may be from the difference in roads they were sampled on. I'm sure the MRCs I drove were more supple over big bumps. It didn't mean much to me since I had to hunt for bumps to test that out. LoL

----------

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    Anyway, my main point is that MRC (or CVRSS) is supposed to adjust itslef automatically and virtually instantaneously based on the road and car's conditions, and that is the main reason for this expensive system. If it doesn't, and if the reconfiguration is limited to manual adjustment between truing/sport, then there is no point for this expensive, complicated system. And as you mentioned an adjustable coil-over system gives you the same functionality, but at a lower cost.
    Pardon me going a bit off topic but I don't think the MRC costs as much as coil overs with adjustable shocks. Since it isn't offered as a standalone option, we have to estimate its cost. But the difference in price between a Premium and a Performance with every available option that is standard on a Premium is tiny. A 2013 Performance without options was ~$3800 less MSRP than a Premium. Add $800 for Nav and $800 for 18" wheels and the MSRP difference drops to $2,200. Of course the real world price difference is much less than that. And that difference includes HUD, summer tires, wider wheels (in the rear) and MRC. I can't point to it now, but someone had researched and determined that the HUD added nearly $500 to the MSRP. So that makes it just $1,700 MSRP for MRC, wider wheels and summer performance tires. Other manufacturers price just a similar tire upgrade at over $1000 MSRP, so even if you speculate that the wider wheels only add $100 to the MSRP, the MRC only adds between $500 and $600 to the MSRP of the car.

Back on topic: No system can automatically adjust to what's "just right" to use Goldylocks terms. If it could, the Caddy MRC wouldn't have even two settings. The fact is that different people want different things and the same person wants different things at different times. There is another thread where someone was very disappointed with how stiff the ATS was sprung/shocked but others didn't understand it because it seemed excellent for their needs/wants. Both sides were right.

I'll say again that IMO a dumbed down MRC is much more a marketing device than it is a performance and to a lessor amount a ride improvement. I still say it a worthwhile option for its cost for most people cross shopping a Performance especially one with Nav and wheels. But its not as good as the marketting hype would make it out to be, primarily because it is so dumbed down. Of course I could be wrong [/classic DM]

ben.gators is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

I'm beginning to think the difference in opinions on the MRC touring mode may be from the difference in roads they were sampled on. I'm sure the MRCs I drove were more supple over big bumps. It didn't mean much to me since I had to hunt for bumps to test that out. LoL

----------

Pardon me going a bit off topic but I don't think the MRC costs as much as coil overs with adjustable shocks. Since it isn't offered as a standalone option, we have to estimate its cost. But the difference in price between a Premium and a Performance with every available option that is standard on a Premium is tiny. A 2013 Performance without options was ~$3800 less MSRP than a Premium. Add $800 for Nav and $800 for 18" wheels and the MSRP difference drops to $2,200. Of course the real world price difference is much less than that. And that difference includes HUD, summer tires, wider wheels (in the rear) and MRC. I can't point to it now, but someone had researched and determined that the HUD added nearly $500 to the MSRP. So that makes it just $1,700 MSRP for MRC, wider wheels and summer performance tires. Other manufacturers price just a similar tire upgrade at over $1000 MSRP, so even if you speculate that the wider wheels only add $100 to the MSRP, the MRC only adds between $500 and $600 to the MSRP of the car.
    Yes, we can get a rough estimate using this method
    OR
    we can directly go and check the price of the part itself!
    $500 is a good average price for each MRC shock or strut. This is for STS, but ATS should be similar. Also you know better than me that the actual costs of the parts in a package can be very different than MSRP of that package. I think you are computing the costs from customer's point of view who buys ATS. But my statement was generic, and it was about the MRC and its costs effectiveness in general.
    4*$500=$2000, and then you need to add the cost of MRC computer module and sensors to it. Now how much is the cost of a set of adjustable coil over struts?

----------

Back on topic: No system can automatically adjust to what's "just right" to use Goldylocks terms. If it could, the Caddy MRC wouldn't have even two settings. The fact is that different people want different things and the same person wants different things at different times. There is another thread where someone was very disappointed with how stiff the ATS was sprung/shocked but others didn't understand it because it seemed excellent for their needs/wants. Both sides were right.
    You are right. We have two different things: 1) road condition, 2) driver's preference. CVRSS, continuously variable road sensing suspension, as its name suggests, adjusts itself based on road's condition. First gen MRC was following the very same concept, adaptation to road, and later it was equipped with two adjustments to partially address driver's preference. But I agree with you that that would be nice if they provide the driver with a wider spectrum of options. Surely the technology allows it. It is just the matter of programing it in and integrating it to for example CUE system.

And on a more serious note, why not you, Hoosier Daddy, send a message to cadilalc's customer service and give your suggestion to them? They can pass it to the engineers. Who knows, maybe the add it to the next gen ATS!

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

MRC is magical and mystical at the same time;

one thing is it's faster than just about anything on the road and both softens and firms the shocks, this is one of the reasons the CTS-V was so praised, the car remained comfortable yet had the ability to throw down with supercars, this is all related to conditions, and with the shocks ability to take sensor readings 2000 times a second and infinitely vary the damping 1000 times a second this equates to a custom damper setting per inch at 60 mph... incredible! no way an adjustable coil over is better, what the coil overs have is user accessibility and ride height, since MRC lacks spring and height control you could classify it as semi-active suspension. another thing concerning the comparison between MRC and a coil over setup active and semi active systems have been banned from top Motorsports because they were so advantageous but not fair in the sense that only top teams could afford to play with it. MRC also cuts down on nose dive and body roll as well. one thing to note this system is so fast and good most times you can't tell that it's working for you and as previously mentioned may not seem to be working for you if the roads are smooth, connected to the vehicles sensors as well as it's own, the harder you push MRC the harder it works. one way of detecting how well it's working for you is by paying attention to what's not happening rather than what is, such as in CTS-V your likely to hear or say "wow this car handled awesome in that canyon, but it didn't kick my ass and rattle my teeth outa my head"

another thing thing MRC can do is dial out problems, this is what allows the Escalade to ride so car like by arresting the the wallowing truckiness and body roll inherent to the platform and allowing for larger wheels and tires by controlling the judder you'd get running over bumps dips and reflectors, put wheels like that on a Tahoe and it rides like ass (here come the "mine rides fine" responses....to you it may, but drive an escalade and a Yukon with 22's back to back and you'll understand)

as it relates to tour/sport mode we're only selecting the baseline for the range the dampers are operating at, and I agree with the consensus here that since it's only software why not let us play with it, while your at it throw steering adjustability in too, BMW does, although an m car thing the button is programmable not just tour/sport/snow-ice
    ben.gators likes this.

I have heard very positive feedback from Escalade, SRX, or STS owners about their MRC systems. I don't know why I am not hearing similar feedback from ATS owners!
    In my case, its a matter of MRC seeming a glass half full. I'm just more disappointed about what it could have been than excited about what it is.

----------

And on a more serious note, why not you, Hoosier Daddy, send a message to cadilalc's customer service and give your suggestion to them? They can pass it to the engineers. Who knows, maybe the add it to the next gen ATS!
    Hmmm. Does the Cadillac suggestion program gives a car with that implements the suggestion to the suggestee?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.