Competitive Mode = :-)
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Competitive Mode = :-) in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; just test drove a 2014 Premium turbo, i wanted to play with the paddle shifters. i get in adjust my ...
    pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Competitive Mode = :-)

just test drove a 2014 Premium turbo, i wanted to play with the paddle shifters. i get in adjust my seating, and put car in competitive mode just to see that on the DIC my '13 standard doesn't have that didn't mean to stay there. i get out on the road put the transmission in manual, and driving lazily upshifting and downshifting, the car is shifting slowly i get a few shift denieds as i try to shift too far up or down. i get clear of traffic and gun it from first gear, i tap the right paddle pow shift into 2nd, tap again pow shift into 3rd, tap again pow shift into 4th, the car is firing off shifts amazingly. i approach a right turn still on the gas, brake hard tap the left paddle twice mid turn, blip blip, i punch it again in second gear and WHOA!! i drift through the turn with some opposite lock, surper easy and controlled i'd forgotten about competitive mode. so now my face is gonna break i'm grinning so big, this car is so much more fun and engaging than my standard, i really wanted to know if i'd like the paddles as much as the manual, answer is yup, the paddles are fun in an xbox sorta way, and my wife wouldn't be intimidated driving the car... i call that a win,win...but for tonight i go home in Bluey my standard, i might go back out and do the same thing on the same route in my car to get a back to back comparison......damn car is fun.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

Re: Competitive Mode = :-)

Nice report. I have a premium 14 and have felt the same way about it as you. the problem is I don't post about it because of all the negative reports from the mags and many on these forums of how crappy the transmission is on this car. I love driving my car and even though there are those who want eight speed and more transmissions I'm having lots of fun with my crappy six speed.
    Ancient Mariner likes this.

Stevo Supremo is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

really? drove one with flappy paddles for a weekend and I missed my manual, something about that feeling of the shifter, rowing through gears and stomping that third pedal, that satisfying perfect heel toe approaching the corner... it's just a feeling that cant be emulated or replaced by electronically controlled paddles.

to each his own I guess, but thats just my 2C
    Jones atsnh likes this.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    really? drove one with flappy paddles for a weekend and I missed my manual, something about that feeling of the shifter, rowing through gears and stomping that third pedal, that satisfying perfect heel toe approaching the corner... it's just a feeling that cant be emulated or replaced by electronically controlled paddles.

to each his own I guess, but thats just my 2C

much love to ya brother stevo having had 4 manual cars in a row.....a passat gs, an integra gs, an Audi 4000s and a 733i I feel exactly as you, I took an opportunity to both see if I could have fun with paddles and enjoy the drive and see if it would improve upon the experience over the non paddle automatic, I'm faced with making a family decision of wife driving the car too, since there will be times we need to switch her SRX and my ats. also for a small car and my being tall I've had to and can comfortably share my legroom with a passenger behind me, couldn't do that with a stick, and I checked out the stick car day before yesterday but did not drive it (I had driven it before...so sweet) but sitting in it I discovered that the extra thick steering wheel that 2014 premiums get you lose with the stick for some reason it bugs me that I could be getting a premium and be denied premium stuff, even though I pay the same. lastly remote start is very important to me I use it when running errands on a hot day but more importantly when it's hot or cold out when my daughter is asleep in her seat and I need to get out of the car say to get the mail, talk to a neighbor, check tire pressure, I like knowing she is safe and comfortable. so when I look at it this way I thought if it was fun the automatic would be less of a compromise than the stick. now I did say in an xbox sorta way, I mean it's different but still fun, now I can play f1 driver with a sequential paddle shifter

Quote Originally Posted by JSATS View Post
    Nice report. I have a premium 14 and have felt the same way about it as you. the problem is I don't post about it because of all the negative reports from the mags and many on these forums of how crappy the transmission is on this car. I love driving my car and even though there are those who want eight speed and more transmissions I'm having lots of fun with my crappy six speed.
    we don't have a crappy transmission, in fact we have an excellent transmission, so excellent it was used by BMW in their last gen 3 series.....who woulda thought GM technology and engineering in the ultimate driving machine ... my 2013 shifts a little weird at times but sport mode generally wakes it up, if only GM would borrow the transmission programming from BMW, I bet there'd be much fewer complainers

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    I agree pissed off Wookie, the transmission is really not all that bad, the tuning absolutely sucks. And BMW only used the GM transmission on the lower 325 and 328 models, they used a far superior ZF six speed on the 335. And it truly is an amazing transmission. The ATS transmission sucks even manual mode.

Ragtop 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD
    I'd like to add the paddle shifters. They are fun to use.
    I've used the sport mode and manually shifted the car. Coming from a stick it is tough to remember that 3 to 4 is push the lever forward, rather than slamming it backwards. Still works better than the old days.

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

My car has an auto trans. The only other car that I bought for my daily use with an automatic transmission was an '84 Thunderbird. I really wanted a 5-speed Turbo Coupe back then but my wife was having knee problems that prevented her from using a clutch. (She's fine now though.) I miss the engagement (no pun intended) that I felt shifting manually. Don't get me wrong, I love driving my ATS. I'm also loving the AWD, a necessity where I live. Bert

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Quite frankly, the 13 ATS manual that I test drove had much longer throws than I desired but the worst part was the clutch: Absolutely no sensation or feeling making it difficult for me to smooth shift or downshift with any confidence. Besides not being offered in the AWD format, made it a no brainer to "Pasadena" on the manual.

The automatic, however, with the paddle shifters is a blast! As the previous poster stated, very responsive in Sports mode and a lot of fun popping into gears. In automatic mode, the 6 speed tranny is very responsive and smooth. Best of both worlds IMO.
    JSATS, pever and Maxplot like this.

Stevo Supremo is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

weird, I found it a nice tight shifter, I will admit though it has a very chatty clutch
    mong8se likes this.

I think the auto tran on my 14 works great. It does everything I want a transmission to do. It shifts smoothly and is very responsive in any mode. I had two Audi's before this car and the ATS has a better transmission than both of those cars. I test drove a few BMW's before buying my Audi's and I never thought the transmissions were anything special. Maybe these BMW's had the GM transmissions in them? I've driven so many cars before and haven't experienced any of these awesome transmissions I keep reading about. I don't know what makes our transmissions suck so bad but maybe I should go drive another BMW and find out.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by JSATS
    I think the auto tran on my 14 works great. It does everything I want a transmission to do. It shifts smoothly and is very responsive in any mode. I had two Audi's before this car and the ATS has a better transmission than both of those cars. I test drove a few BMW's before buying my Audi's and I never thought the transmissions were anything special. Maybe these BMW's had the GM transmissions in them? I've driven so many cars before and haven't experienced any of these awesome transmissions I keep reading about. I don't know what makes our transmissions suck so bad but maybe I should go drive another BMW and find out.
    Did those BMWs have the 8 speed tranny?

Our X5 has it and it's a pretty sweet unit. Very smooth and seems to always keep itself in the right gear.

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    Did those BMWs have the 8 speed tranny?

Our X5 has it and it's a pretty sweet unit. Very smooth and seems to always keep itself in the right gear.
    No they were 6 speed. The last BMW I tested was back in 09. Both my Audi's were 6 speed. I 'm sure the new eight speeds are an improvement but to say that something sucks just because it's not the latest and greatest is a bit of an overstatement.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    No they were 6 speed. The last BMW I tested was back in 09. Both my Audi's were 6 speed. I 'm sure the new eight speeds are an improvement but to say that something sucks just because it's not the latest and greatest is a bit of an overstatement.
    I didn't say that

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    I didn't say that
    I know you didn't say that but many others keep saying how bad the transmission is on the ATS and I just don't see it. Maybe its just that I haven't experienced the other superior transmissions.

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    I know you didn't say that but many others keep saying how bad the transmission is on the ATS and I just don't see it. Maybe its just that I haven't experienced the other superior transmissions.
    I'm sure that's it. Try it. Drive a F30 335 Sportline in manual mode see how snappy the shifts are even at low speed low rpm shifts. You will then notice all the slop in the ATS transmission.

Also try these two examples. First, be cruising in a gear, maybe 3rd or 4th in manual mode. Then jab the gas a bit, the connection between gas peddle and power to the wheels is instantaneous. The ATS just spins the tranny before taking hold. The BMW feels snappy, the ATS sloppy. At very high RPMs the are a bit more similar, but done low, the BMW still feels responsive, not sloppy.

Lastly roll the windows down. Accelerate aggressively and each time you click the paddle to shift listen for the "boof" as it shifts. The shifts are so fast, nearly as fast as a DCT, you will get the same DCT "fart" as unburned gas is released into the exhaust system. Way too cool.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.