Competitive Mode = :-) - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Competitive Mode = :-) in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; just for some balance......I had the opportunity to attend a CTS event earlier this month and drive a bunch of ...
    pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Re: Competitive Mode = :-)

just for some balance......I had the opportunity to attend a CTS event earlier this month and drive a bunch of competing cars back to back and off the line between the Mercedes E550, BMW 550i, and the CTS V-Sport the BMW was an embarrassment , it had a weird sluggishness and lag, but once it got going it was stellar, but that Cadillac has the new 8 speed and it was very nice

bottom line is I've never seen a GM transmission shift like this ats automatic, it's the best I've experienced, cars are a mixed bag, ya win some ya lose some, so the consensus is we lose on the tranny, but we're talking small differences in a segment of stellar offerings, overall, I think the ats is the best total car, the bimmer has gotten fat so what if it shifts marginally better the rest of the car has lost its BMWness except the radio BMW has got us on that one too, but the ats is the girl you didn't expect, but now that you have her she's the best thing to ever happen to you ...... the BMW is the girl you've chased for ages but when you finally get her you wonder what the big deal was

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    the ats is the girl you didn't expect, but now that you have her she's the best thing to ever happen to you ...... the BMW is the girl you've chased for ages but when you finally get her you wonder what the big deal was
    Nice.

JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

Quote Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
    I'm sure that's it. Try it. Drive a F30 335 Sportline in manual mode see how snappy the shifts are even at low speed low rpm shifts. You will then notice all the slop in the ATS transmission.

Also try these two examples. First, be cruising in a gear, maybe 3rd or 4th in manual mode. Then jab the gas a bit, the connection between gas peddle and power to the wheels is instantaneous. The ATS just spins the tranny before taking hold. The BMW feels snappy, the ATS sloppy. At very high RPMs the are a bit more similar, but done low, the BMW still feels responsive, not sloppy.

Lastly roll the windows down. Accelerate aggressively and each time you click the paddle to shift listen for the "boof" as it shifts. The shifts are so fast, nearly as fast as a DCT, you will get the same DCT "fart" as unburned gas is released into the exhaust system. Way too cool.
    Unburned gas in the exhaust sounds awesome! I was driving my ATS yesterday in S mode and manual mode and the car was very responsive not sloppy at all. Maybe there is a problem with your car or the 14's are calibrated better.

l.cassar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Is competitive mode just traction control and stabilitrack off?

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by l.cassar View Post
    Is competitive mode just traction control and stabilitrack off?
    no competitive mode is traction control off and stabilitrak turned way down, it won't kick in until your about ready to fly off I to the weeds backwards.

I suspect my inability to slide gracefully, is either traction control is on then there's no sliding allowed, or traction control off and I lose the ABD (automatic brake differential) and then it's just an open diff (one wheel spinning) in cars with competitive mode there is also the LSD so you still have control to both wheels. this is where the new CTS and Corvette have an even greater advantage they have an eLSD whose computer can vary the pressure on an internal clutch pack and actually move torque back and forth across the rear end and direct it to the wheels it determines will best aid your hooliganism

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JSATS
    Unburned gas in the exhaust sounds awesome! I was driving my ATS yesterday in S mode and manual mode and the car was very responsive not sloppy at all. Maybe there is a problem with your car or the 14's are calibrated better.
    It may be that the 14s are better tuned. I had a 2.5 14 loaner and I liked a few things better. The tranny was way tighter, and the S mode was sticky. Really nice.

I have to say I'm getting more and more disappointed in GM. There are a tons of electronic gremlins in the 13s a full year after release. My car forgets nearly every preference setting even with the latest cue update at my last visit a few months ago. In manual my car has even up shifted all by itself for no good reason. I was simply cruising not redlining or anything and it does this several times a week. C'mon, fix this stuff. Where is Katie or Laura to pass this stuff on?

Maybe it is business as usual at GM... .

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.