Got duped on buying extended repair warranty from dealership-A warning.
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Got duped on buying extended repair warranty from dealership-A warning. in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; When we bought the car, we took out an "extended" repair warranty. Cost us about $1600 and it was for ...
  1. #1
    flycaster's Avatar
    flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Age
    75
    Posts
    587

    Got duped on buying extended repair warranty from dealership-A warning.

    When we bought the car, we took out an "extended" repair warranty. Cost us about $1600 and it was for 3 years and was to start after the 4 year factory warranty was up. As a retirees who don't want to be bothered with anything, we figure that this was a real good deal. Hell, if we had to take out a repair warranty after the factory one was up, we figured it would have cost us over $3K. All this was both my wife's and my thinking when we left the dealership in March after singing all the papers. Well, we just fortuitously found out that this is NOT the way the extended warranty works.

    Our warranty stated that it was good for 36K miles and ended 3 years after the 4 year factory warranty, but it started the day we took ownership of the car, and in reality, it ended when the car hit 36K miles. So, if at the end of only three years ownership, the car had 36K miles, the extended warranty policy was toast. In part, it was our fault because we didn't read the warranty's stipulations because the person who sold it it to us told us that it was good for three years after the factory warranty was up. Hey, that was good enough for us. I mean, shouldn't the Cadillac's financial salesperson be honorable??? To be honest, the policy seller offered this policy to us because we said that we will do only about 5K-6K miles a year, and at the end of 4 years (when factory warranty was up) there would still be approximately 12K to 16K miles left on the extended policy. BUT, be it very well noted, at the time, this was NOT what we were told, for if we knew this, we would not have bought the policy. Buyer Beware! Read everything very carefully.

    However, all wasn't lost in that I spoke with the GM and he did the right thing: He will have the policy cancelled and will return a the full cost of the policy to us. Nonetheless, I am sure that there are other intelligent buyers out there who think that bought the same repair coverage as we did, and we just wanted to give them a heads up.
    Hoosier Daddy and roadpie4u like this.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    roadpie4u is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 M6 FE3
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    229

    Re: Got duped on buying extended repair warranty from dealership-A warning.

    Good to hear that in the end they made good on their mistake. Out of curiousity, did you purchase the extended warranty at time of sale in order to roll it into financing? I've always been of the belief that as you can buy an extended warranty at any point during the factory warranty, leaving it till later lets you see exactly how reliable your car is and whether you feel it is necessary.

  4. #3
    rustybear3's Avatar
    rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    62
    Posts
    969

    Re: Got duped on buying extended repair warranty from dealership-A warning.

    Quote Originally Posted by roadpie4u View Post
    Good to hear that in the end they made good on their mistake. Out of curiousity, did you purchase the extended warranty at time of sale in order to roll it into financing? I've always been of the belief that as you can buy an extended warranty at any point during the factory warranty, leaving it till later lets you see exactly how reliable your car is and whether you feel it is necessary.
    Yes, but the extended warranty will be pro-rated much higher than if you bought it at the start rather than the end of the factory warranty. By the way, it doesn't sound like a genuine GMPP that was being sold.

  5. #4
    flycaster's Avatar
    flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Age
    75
    Posts
    587

    Re: Got duped on buying extended repair warranty from dealership-A warning.

    Quote Originally Posted by roadpie4u View Post
    Good to hear that in the end they made good on their mistake. Out of curiousity, did you purchase the extended warranty at time of sale in order to roll it into financing? I've always been of the belief that as you can buy an extended warranty at any point during the factory warranty, leaving it till later lets you see exactly how reliable your car is and whether you feel it is necessary.
    Bought the policy at time of car purchase and rolled it intot he loan. At that time, we were led to believe that we were getting a repair warranty that kicked in at the end of the factory warranty and would be good for another 3 years. And as stated before, with this believe we felt that we were getting a very good deal...Ha!

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
    Yes, but the extended warranty will be pro-rated much higher than if you bought it at the start rather than the end of the factory warranty. By the way, it doesn't sound like a genuine GMPP that was being sold.
    Got the policy from the dealership finanacial person. Policy is from Global Protection Plan, Inc. Agreed that the policy would have cost more if bought later, but as we were misled into thinking that the policy was good for 3 years after the factory warranty, it presented it self as a good deal. well, it was good for those three years as long as the car didn't exceed 36K miles AT ANY TIME.

  6. #5
    GJB's Avatar
    GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    753

    Re: Got duped on buying extended repair warranty from dealership-A warning.

    Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    Bought the policy at time of car purchase and rolled it intot he loan. At that time, we were led to believe that we were getting a repair warranty that kicked in at the end of the factory warranty and would be good for another 3 years. And as stated before, with this believe we felt that we were getting a very good deal...Ha!

    ----------



    Got the policy from the dealership finanacial person. Policy is from Global Protection Plan, Inc. Agreed that the policy would have cost more if bought later, but as we were misled into thinking that the policy was good for 3 years after the factory warranty, it presented it self as a good deal. well, it was good for those three years as long as the car didn't exceed 36K miles AT ANY TIME.

    Fly, But with your avg of 5K a year the 3 yrs after factory may have worked out very well for you and at $1600 the price for the extra time is not too bad. Understand the salesman lacked full disclosure but unless you can do better you might want to re consider

  7. #6
    flycaster's Avatar
    flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Age
    75
    Posts
    587

    Re: Got duped on buying extended repair warranty from dealership-A warning.

    Quote Originally Posted by GJB View Post
    Fly, But with your avg of 5K a year the 3 yrs after factory may have worked out very well for you and at $1600 the price for the extra time is not too bad. Understand the salesman lacked full disclosure but unless you can do better you might want to re consider
    Yeah, GJB, we've been mulling this over. At best, after the 4 year factory warranty, the car probably will have 20-24K miles (or even a bit more). So, that leaves between 16K and 12K miles under the extended warranty for the next 3 years. Let's now say that I want to go on some trips. It is quite conceivable that I may quickly use up the warranty well before the 3 years; or it is even possible that I may do 36K within 4 years of ownership, and that would result in a waste of money on the extended warranty. And, because I hate to waste things, feeling that the warranty will be used up before the 3 years, I may not go on some trips. Stupid, yes, but a psychological reality.
    GJB likes this.

  8. #7
    pissedoffwookiee's Avatar
    pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,096

    Re: Got duped on buying extended repair warranty from dealership-A warning.

    when you get your money back give it right back and tell them you wan GMPP it can be extended up to 7 years 100,000 miles and it works just like you wanted this to, in that it lengthens your protection. it is a little more expensive for you and the dealer makes less on it than what you got but thats why they sold you what they sold you. The best thing about GMPP is it's factory cadillac waranty, good everywhere
    RippyPartsDept likes this.

  9. #8
    GJB's Avatar
    GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    753

    Re: Got duped on buying extended repair warranty from dealership-A warning.

    Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    Yeah, GJB, we've been mulling this over. At best, after the 4 year factory warranty, the car probably will have 20-24K miles (or even a bit more). So, that leaves between 16K and 12K miles under the extended warranty for the next 3 years. Let's now say that I want to go on some trips. It is quite conceivable that I may quickly use up the warranty well before the 3 years; or it is even possible that I may do 36K within 4 years of ownership, and that would result in a waste of money on the extended warranty. And, because I hate to waste things, feeling that the warranty will be used up before the 3 years, I may not go on some trips. Stupid, yes, but a psychological reality.
    Understand it’s a tough choice, piece of mind is everything. That’s why I buy and don't lease, I know I will not exceed the mileage allowance but you never know and I don't want park the ATS just because I'm nervous about driving too much

  10. #9
    flycaster's Avatar
    flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Age
    75
    Posts
    587

    Re: Got duped on buying extended repair warranty from dealership-A warning.

    Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    when you get your money back give it right back and tell them you wan GMPP it can be extended up to 7 years 100,000 miles and it works just like you wanted this to, in that it lengthens your protection. it is a little more expensive for you and the dealer makes less on it than what you got but thats why they sold you what they sold you. The best thing about GMPP is it's factory cadillac waranty, good everywhere
    I'll be bringing the car in on Thursday to get the smelly A/C problem fixed. At that time I have arranged to get the extended warranty money back and Ill speak with the GM about switching it over to the GMPP. Thanks for the heads up.

  11. #10
    JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    401

    Re: Got duped on buying extended repair warranty from dealership-A warning.

    You can get a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty but remember you already have a 6 year 70,000 mile powertrain warranty stock with the car. The powertrain warranty is where you will be spending the big bucks. You need to figure out how much the extended warranty is going to cost you and if its worth one more year of coverage. The other thing that you need to remember is that a bumper to bumper warranty sounds great but in reality many things are considered wear items and are not covered under these warranties.
    RippyPartsDept likes this.

  12. #11
    flycaster's Avatar
    flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Age
    75
    Posts
    587

    Re: Got duped on buying extended repair warranty from dealership-A warning.

    Quote Originally Posted by JSATS View Post
    You can get a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty but remember you already have a 6 year 70,000 mile powertrain warranty stock with the car. The powertrain warranty is where you will be spending the big bucks. You need to figure out how much the extended warranty is going to cost you and if its worth one more year of coverage. The other thing that you need to remember is that a bumper to bumper warranty sounds great but in reality many things are considered wear items and are not covered under these warranties.
    All good advice, JS. I've had post warranty coverage for my BMWs through Mercury Ins. Bought the policies just before the factory warranties went off. Have to say that, overall, the repair payoffs vs what the policies cost me was just about a wash. Ah, but the peace of mind afforded me with these policies was worth a lot more.

    My major concern is not about the tranny or engine, but rather everything else. And, I do appreciate that although these are "bumper to bumper" warranties, not everything is covered. Nonetheless, enough is covered to often justify the cost/peace of mind ratio.

  13. #12
    pissedoffwookiee's Avatar
    pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,096

    Re: Got duped on buying extended repair warranty from dealership-A warning.

    Quote Originally Posted by JSATS View Post
    You can get a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty but remember you already have a 6 year 70,000 mile powertrain warranty stock with the car. The powertrain warranty is where you will be spending the big bucks. You need to figure out how much the extended warranty is going to cost you and if its worth one more year of coverage. The other thing that you need to remember is that a bumper to bumper warranty sounds great but in reality many things are considered wear items and are not covered under these warranties.
    Historically you're right, but historically drivetrains were the most complicated thing about a car, today that just may not be the case, between Nav/Radios, noise cancelling speaker system, digital HVAC, GPS and satelite modules on the roof, headlights with elaborate steering and lighting mechanisms, seats with occupancy sensors, airbags and memory, and a digital network tying engine body and electronics together ....non drivetrain repairs can be just as expensive as drivetrain repairs. a friend of mine who ran a toyota dealership, told me he's seen a rat total a prius (actually 2) a doctor had his prius towed in because it wouldn't start, turns out a rat had chewed the cars wiring harness, the crazy part is they gave him a loaner prius while they were diagnosing the first one and the rat did it again...lol, unfortunately rat infestation in the home is not covered under warranty.

    my point is a bumper to bumper may be more important now-a-days because it covers the car and the drivetrain. wear and tear items (tires, belts, hoses, spark plugs, brake pads, rotors) are usually replaced regularly with the exception of leather/cloth seating surfaces, steering wheels covers, and switches

  14. #13
    glenroebuck is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 AWD 2013
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Age
    47
    Posts
    172

    Re: Got duped on buying extended repair warranty from dealership-A warning.

    Yeah that powertrain can be tricky. I have a buddy with a escape hybrid and some power coupler flux capacitor went out on it and it apparently was not covered under the powertrain warranty despite it being needed to make the car go..

  15. #14
    pissedoffwookiee's Avatar
    pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,096

    Re: Got duped on buying extended repair warranty from dealership-A warning.

    Quote Originally Posted by glenroebuck View Post
    Yeah that powertrain can be tricky. I have a buddy with a escape hybrid and some power coupler flux capacitor went out on it and it apparently was not covered under the powertrain warranty despite it being needed to make the car go..
    thats one area GM is better than Ford, the ELR and other GM Hybrid/Electric cars have an aditional 8 year/100,000 mile warranty for the Hybrid/Electric components and battery

  16. #15
    flycaster's Avatar
    flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Age
    75
    Posts
    587

    Re: Got duped on buying extended repair warranty from dealership-A warning.

    Just was with the Ed Morse GM discussing the difference between the Global and GMPP warranty plans. The latter plan was about $300 more, and really wasn't that much different. Bottom line was that I decided to completely drop Global and not get another plan. The GM was great and has fully refunded the cost of the Global plan. Even though I had the plan for about 8 months, he was able do this because I hadn't filed any claims and he was the type to do the "right thing" in terms of customer satisfaction. You know, there will always be problems, but most important is how the problem is solved.
    ben.gators and GJB like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting