Got duped on buying extended repair warranty from dealership-A warning. - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Got duped on buying extended repair warranty from dealership-A warning. in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; This is why I use Geico and always get their mechanical breakdown insurance. For just a couple of dollars (I ...
    bravnik is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium, Raven/Murano, Sunroof, CAP

Re: Got duped on buying extended repair warranty from dealership-A warning.

This is why I use Geico and always get their mechanical breakdown insurance. For just a couple of dollars (I think literally $2) a month I get an extended warranty that starts when my cars expires which covers my cars for 10 years or 100,000 miles. I use to commute like 36k miles a year and had to get a transmission in a truck I bought new replaced under the Geico warranty. No questions asked. Paid for my tow to Amco and had a new (not rebuilt) transmission installed with no fuss at all.

It's a great service which I highly recommend. If you have Geico that is.

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

I do have Geico. Spoke with them. Still checking around, but their quote of $76/year was pretty good...even if it does go up a few dollars/yr. So, although I won't have use for it during the first 4 years (during which I'll probably put on around 20-24K miles), it would cost around $350. And then maybe another $85/yr (figuring slight increases) for the next 3 years. Roughly looking at around $600 total for 7 years vs GMPP at $1900 vs Global at $1600. Certainly seems cheap enough, but there is one thing that needs consideration: Wait, not quite right estimate as with Geico you don't have to start the policy until the car has just about 15K miles or less than 15 months old...which reduces the cost by at least one year's payment, Although there is a $250 deductible with these policies, the Geico one is $250 for each repair if the repairs are for different systems. EG, window reg and A/C crap out at the same time-two unrelated parts, thus costing $500 if done at the same time by Geico; only $250 with GMPP and Global. To make up the difference, one would have to take the car in twice, at different times. The way our beta ATS' are behaving, who knows what their reliability will be a few years out??? Geico's policy is not transferrable, but then again, payments stop when you want it to, or it will stop when 7 years (3 years post factory warranty) or 100,00 miles

I have been very successfully using Mercury Ins for my after factory warranty for 6 years and have asked them to guestimate (of course there are no figures for the new model ATS) what a 2-3 year warranty would cost when added after the factory warranty expires.

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    I do have Geico. Spoke with them. Still checking around, but their quote of $76/year was pretty good...even if it does go up a few dollars/yr. So, although I won't have use for it during the first 4 years (during which I'll probably put on around 20-24K miles), it would cost around $350. And then maybe another $85/yr (figuring slight increases) for the next 3 years. Roughly looking at around $600 total for 7 years vs GMPP at $1900 vs Global at $1600. Certainly seems cheap enough, but there is one thing that needs consideration: Wait, not quite right estimate as with Geico you don't have to start the policy until the car has just about 15K miles or less than 15 months old...which reduces the cost by at least one year's payment, Although there is a $250 deductible with these policies, the Geico one is $250 for each repair if the repairs are for different systems. EG, window reg and A/C crap out at the same time-two unrelated parts, thus costing $500 if done at the same time by Geico; only $250 with GMPP and Global. To make up the difference, one would have to take the car in twice, at different times. The way our beta ATS' are behaving, who knows what their reliability will be a few years out??? Geico's policy is not transferrable, but then again, payments stop when you want it to, or it will stop when 7 years (3 years post factory warranty) or 100,00 miles

I have been very successfully using Mercury Ins for my after factory warranty for 6 years and have asked them to guestimate (of course there are no figures for the new model ATS) what a 2-3 year warranty would cost when added after the factory warranty expires.
    With my GMPP there is NO deductable if I let my dealer make the repairs, plus it's bumper to bumper coverage.....same as the original warranty..... worth the little over $500 a year for me....

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

GMPP can give you a massive bumper to bumper for not much more than most warranties if you want/need and extended warranty it's the best, because it is factory. Every one else's has stipulations like needing approvals, can only service at restricted locations, deductibles. Most warranties screw you if you move because they're local warranties. Most dealers sell them over the factory warranties because they make more money on them. So here's the scenario, you buy a car, dealer tries to sell you a warranty, they push for the brand they like, you literally have to pull GMPP out of them because it's more beneficial to the customer not the dealer, it's the same as buying a car with your own bank, the dealer loses a profit center. For this reason I would only trust insurance companies (like geico or USAA), reputable companies like Costco or AAA or the factory for any warranty I might need
    rustybear3 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    GMPP can give you a massive bumper to bumper for not much more than most warranties if you want/need and extended warranty it's the best, because it is factory. Every one else's has stipulations like needing approvals, can only service at restricted locations, deductibles. Most warranties screw you if you move because they're local warranties. Most dealers sell them over the factory warranties because they make more money on them. So here's the scenario, you buy a car, dealer tries to sell you a warranty, they push for the brand they like, you literally have to pull GMPP out of them because it's more beneficial to the customer not the dealer, it's the same as buying a car with your own bank, the dealer loses a profit center. For this reason I would only trust insurance companies (like geico or USAA), reputable companies like Costco or AAA or the factory for any warranty I might need
    Started looking at Mercury Ins, the Platinum policy (as noted above, I have been very successful using them for my BMWs) and got some interesting info.
    Let's assume that I'm doing 5K/year and want to keep the car for 7 years. When one buys the insurance (and that is what it is, insurance), it starts immediately. As my car is new, I have until the first 15K miles to initiate insurance. So, it is most beneficial to start the policy just before I hit 15K mile, which will be about 3 years into the car and leaving one year of factory coverage left. They have 5 yr/60K mile policies with $0 deductible for $1605, $50 deductible for $1408, $100 deductible for $1355. These policies will give me coverage for 4 years past the three year mark. These are bumper to bumper, non-transferable, use anyone for service, Mercury pays vendor directly, multiple issues at same time-only one deductible, can pay monthly without interest.
    GJB likes this.

kfuller is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Do they handle used cars?

Quote Originally Posted by kfuller View Post
    Do they handle used cars?
    Yes.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.