Please: No More "...I'd expect 'x' to be standard on a $40,000 car..." ! - Page 6
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Please: No More "...I'd expect 'x' to be standard on a $40,000 car..." ! in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS You do know you can turn the hud off right. And why pay for it if ...
    GJB
    GJB is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Re: Please: No More "...I'd expect 'x' to be standard on a $40,000 car..." !

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    You do know you can turn the hud off right.
    And why pay for it if you are going to turn it off?
    torkibe likes this.

torkibe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by Ragtop 99 View Post
    ^^^ Free wheels = Nice upgrade. I wonder if they were on another car and someone negotiated a deal without them, so they swapped them on your car.

I have the HUD on my vette and like it. It does take a little time to get use to it and not stare at it.
    Possibly. Either way it worked out for me!

My problem with the HUD was, I tend to lean to the left when I drive and the HUD is out of view, but I periodically move back and it comes into view, then I lean again and it goes out of view. It was the in and out that was distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by GJB View Post
    And why pay for it if you are going to turn it off?
    Exactly.

bmcleod is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 2.0T AWD

I did not purchase the performance level trim because the rear seat did not fold down. I don't understand why the lesser trim (luxury) has it, but the next level up doesn't. I would have liked having the paddle shifters, etc. in the performance.
    I had considered the performance package, but specifically eliminated it because it didn't have folding rear seats (this was a high requirement for me). I have just assumed that the fixed seats made the body stronger (and possibly lighter), which was a desirable quality in a 'Performance' vehicle (but this is not something I'm specifically knowledgable about). I may have had to pay for a few Premium features I don't need, but nothing I didn't want.

Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Having the HUD could have increased resale value depending how long you kept it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    Having the HUD could have increased resale value depending how long you kept it.
    Unless you are talking about a time when the car itself is a "collector's car" or its a car so badly optioned it was almost unsellable new, options are not going to increase the book value of a used car MORE than the option cost new.

Ragtop 99 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcleod
    I had considered the performance package, but specifically eliminated it because it didn't have folding rear seats (this was a high requirement for me). I have just assumed that the fixed seats made the body stronger (and possibly lighter), which was a desirable quality in a 'Performance' vehicle (but this is not something I'm specifically knowledgable about). I may have had to pay for a few Premium features I don't need, but nothing I didn't want.
    I'm struggling to see the seats making a difference for rigidity. Ironically the performance lacks the mag shocks and limited slip differential, which would make sense for the performance car.

I'm struggling to see the seats making a difference for rigidity. Ironically the performance lacks the mag shocks and limited slip differential, which would make sense for the performance car.
    I agree the non folding seat does not make any noticeable difference in stiffness. They may be lighter.

The mag shocks are more a marketing gimmick as for as performance is concerned. Because they dumbed them down to two settings, only one of which would be used for sport, they are NOT what most performance minded drivers would want. Aftermarket adjustable coil overs are much better than a 2 setting MRC. It could have been the opposite, and is a crying shame because of this, if Cadillac had offered multiple settings.

FYI all collections include standard Limited slip with the most performance oriented engine and transmission. But yeah, its a shame they didn't include LSD or offer it with the autos or other engines.

Ragtop 99 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    I agree the non folding seat does not make any noticeable difference in stiffness. They may be lighter.

The mag shocks are more a marketing gimmick as for as performance is concerned. Because they dumbed them down to two settings, only one of which would be used for sport, they are NOT what most performance minded drivers would want. Aftermarket adjustable coil overs are much better than a 2 setting MRC. It could have been the opposite, and is a crying shame because of this, if Cadillac had offered multiple settings.

FYI all collections include standard Limited slip with the most performance oriented engine and transmission. But yeah, its a shame they didn't include LSD or offer it with the autos or other engines.
    There's no doubt that aftermarket coilovers are nicer, but the question is do the mag shocks in sport mode outperform the base shocks? When they sent the car to the Ring, how was it equipped?

On the C6 vette, the mag shocks outperformed the optional Z51 suspension, at least on bumpy roads because the rear would stay more planted. Swapping the Z51 sway bars onto a vette with mag ride made for a very good handling car for a total investment of $250. Coilovers are pretty expensive. People who were serious track hounds could justify the investment, but for the person going twice a year to the track, the mag shocks + sway bar upgrade worked very well. I didn't get a chance to drive the ATS with mag shocks, so I could be all wrong on how they perform on this car.

There's no doubt that aftermarket coilovers are nicer, but the question is do the mag shocks in sport mode outperform the base shocks? When they sent the car to the Ring, how was it equipped?
    To my knowledge (and I looked and read all I can) there have been NO comparisons between an MRC car and non-MRC car on the same tires. The tire differences between the MRC and non-MRC cars is very large. Naturally the car used for testing and marketing included MRC (or at least was described as such). MRC is worth a lot more to Cadillac for marketing purposes than it it is to drivers wanting max performance. MRC's greatest value to owners is for those who want a softer ride (non sport setting) and/or have bad roads. For those buyers, its great; but like many option packages its a bit schizophrenic because those are also the drivers who would least want the summer only performance tires and would prefer to be able to rotate tires. MRC could have been great for 90% of the buyers if they just offered more settings (and did them right). It's a real shame that so much potential was wasted.

Regarding the 2 MRC settings...
    In the STS w/ MRC we have a tuner that is able to modify the settings on our model. Madtuner is his name here ... Perhaps the same can be done on the ATS platform?

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp
    In the STS w/ MRC we have a tuner that is able to modify the settings on our model. Madtuner is his name here ... Perhaps the same can be done on the ATS platform?

Last I spoke with him we was developing stuff for the ATS. My STS has been in service for over a month for a steering rack so haven't been in contact lol.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

The Nurburgring ATS was Equipped with MRC

That would be nice and even great IF it is not a huge hassle to be able to use multiple settings; because just two is still just two even if closer to two you would design for yourself. But if you can switch between multiple settings while driving OR load any two settings with a handheld while stopped (in reasonable time) it would be awesome.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK View Post
    The Nurburgring ATS was Equipped with MRC
    Yes, as I posted, they used MRC at the ring (or claimed to) but they also used performance tires. We haven't seen any comparisons between MRC and not MRC with same tires. MRC cars from the factory have different (performance) compounds than the non MRC cars. The MRC undoubtedly help handling in many invironments but not by much in many of those. It's great for someone wanting a cushier ride and might be beneficial for semi-performance oriented buyers, but people in that category aren't going to exceed the limits of any of the suspensions. It's just sad Cadillac didn't give the kinds of settings Ferrari does with the technology instead of settling for advertising its the same technology that they sold to Ferrari.

But for anyone who wants a smoother ride or has rough roads, the MRC is a good value. But since it only comes with the Premium, it is only a no-brainer if you want all the other upgrades that come with Premium. I doubt there are very many buyers like myself who optioned out a Performance instead of ordering a Premium. Because the cost difference between the Premium and optioned out Performance is basically what manufacturers typically charge just for the upgraded tires. You have to really NOT want staggered widths or NOT want summer tires for a loaded Performance to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    That would be nice and even great IF it is not a huge hassle to be able to use multiple settings; because just two is still just two even if closer to two you would design for yourself. But if you can switch between multiple settings while driving OR load any two settings with a handheld while stopped (in reasonable time) it would be awesome.
    It would still only be 2 settings to chose from as I don't see the ability to add another mode. With the STS there were different setups for AWD compared to the RWD models for MRC tuning. you could likely set it up to make a more compliant (softer) ride for one mode and an even more aggressive (firmer) ride for the other mode. Depending on how this is actually setup I'd wonder if the settings from all of GM's MRC cars (corvette, STS, CTS-V, DTS, SRX, ATS, XTS, I don't recall if the XLR had MRC or not) could be looked at to pick from a calibration that would be best. ... Wow Just realized how many caddys can have MRC on them.

It would still only be 2 settings to chose from as I don't see the ability to add another mode.
    I assume the new settings get loaded into the car some way. If you want to use more than 2 but not more than 2 for a fixed time period, do you know if they can be loaded with a hand held device?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.