Please: No More "...I'd expect 'x' to be standard on a $40,000 car..." ! - Page 5
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Please: No More "...I'd expect 'x' to be standard on a $40,000 car..." ! in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by ATS272 When I was looking for mine, I actually saw a 3.6L Prem. trim w/o heated seats ...
    1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by ATS272

When I was looking for mine, I actually saw a 3.6L Prem. trim w/o heated seats - really????
    Heated seats were ALWAYS an option on any Cadillac since introduced. Period. They were just common on models.

Stevo Supremo is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Re: Please: No More "...I'd expect 'x' to be standard on a $40,000 car..." !

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by artscadillac View Post
    Heated seats don't come in any level ATS. You must add the Cold weather Pkg.

Heated seats come with the Lux version of CTS + XTS and have always been in Cadillacs. This is the one option that will surprise you not being in the ATS.
    We get them standard at all levels here in canada
    73JPS likes this.

Ancient Mariner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Performance

I'd gladly give up heated seats though for year round summer LOL!

Stevo Supremo is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

well yeah lol

bowtie_30 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium

I absolutely love everything about my ATS. Unfortunately people miss the entire point of this particular car, it's meant to be a drivers car so quit your bitching about options it doesn't have standard. Hell a friend of mine bought a brand new BMW 328i a few months before I got the ATS and it doesn't have a rear back up camera or even some of the options my Caddy has and it cost the same and my Caddy drives and performs SOOOO much better. If you wanted something with all the options that should be standard then go buy yourself a boring car like a Lexus. Heck my 09 Cobalt SS/TC was an absolutely great driver's car and the interior left much to be desired for (Minus the awesome performance seats of course) but I loved the damn thing because I could corner like a beast and beat up on unsuspecting victims who had no idea what she was. The important factors when I purchase a car is it needs to drive and handle well, all the other crap is nice but I personally don't give two shits about it.

JavaGirl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Some of us ATS owners don't really care how the car drives, but we think it is pretty. Don't be so quick to tell others to go buy another brand. If the sales volume for the car is not high enough, then Cadillac will not continue to invest money in such pursuits in the future.

Also, hopefully Cadillac has done enough market research to know which features should be included on each trim level, and which options should be available. The more customer-configurable a car is, the greater the manufacturing costs to Cadillac. The more customer-configurable a car is, the more people it will attract to purchase it. Somewhere lines must be drawn by the manufacturer on the build costs versus lost customers.

Discussions like this (I wish the car had XYZ on trim level ABC) can be valuable to Cadillac if they get enough of such data, and if they have people smart enough in mathematics to crunch the data. For them, the goal is to be as profitable as possible, even if that means adding a refrigerator and microwave as two big heavy blocks on the roof of the car. If that caused them to lose every driving enthusiast as customers, but would bring in an extra million soccer moms every year, they definitely would do it (and rightfully so). Of course this is not the case for this outrageous example, but you get the idea...

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by JavaGirl View Post
    Some of us ATS owners don't really care how the car drives, but we think it is pretty. Don't be so quick to tell others to go buy another brand. If the sales volume for the car is not high enough, then Cadillac will not continue to invest money in such pursuits in the future.

Also, hopefully Cadillac has done enough market research to know which features should be included on each trim level, and which options should be available. The more customer-configurable a car is, the greater the manufacturing costs to Cadillac. The more customer-configurable a car is, the more people it will attract to purchase it. Somewhere lines must be drawn by the manufacturer on the build costs versus lost customers.

Discussions like this (I wish the car had XYZ on trim level ABC) can be valuable to Cadillac if they get enough of such data, and if they have people smart enough in mathematics to crunch the data. For them, the goal is to be as profitable as possible, even if that means adding a refrigerator and microwave as two big heavy blocks on the roof of the car. If that caused them to lose every driving enthusiast as customers, but would bring in an extra million soccer moms every year, they definitely would do it (and rightfully so). Of course this is not the case for this outrageous example, but you get the idea...
    This is the scary part! BMW has done it to F90. Even some say that Cadillac has softened its sharp, angular, art and science design methodology because of its Chinese market. It seems that Chinese customers prefer more conservative designs.

l.cassar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Quote Originally Posted by 73JPS View Post
    And you selected the trim level that does not have them... because?
    Don't need them since I have a pickup for bigger stuff, but i can imagine most people might if they don't have two cars and would rather not spend 3000 more for hardly anything. Only thing i wanted was xenon hid/led and it was a 5000 dollar option for the performance which came with other stuff i didn't want.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    Heated seats were ALWAYS an option on any Cadillac since introduced. Period. They were just common on models.
    Very true. I've driven 2000+ model year Deville with no heated seats and leather. I've also seen cloth equipped models.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

HandletheTruth is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

I concur with the core premise of this thread; however I do have two comments about Cadillacs approach to options and trim packages levels:

1) I am not sure that Cadillac "has done enough market research to know which features should be included on each trim level, and which options should be available". While they have to limit the number of build variations to control costs/complexities, they must be competitive regarding the number of customizable options/choices - and improve over time. I assert that part of purchasing a premium branded / luxury branded vehicle is personal customization - would buy a Honda or Chevy, etc. if I was OK with limited customization. For example, if you look at this forum there are large number of entries regarding aftermarket upgrades for items that are included on the higher level trim packages (Luxury, Performance & Premium) - such as headlight LEDs, HUD display and remote vehicle start. Cadillac needs to improve in this area over time. My thoughts are summarized by an interesting paragraph from a previous review from TheTruthAboutCars.com review of the Cadillac ATS by Michael Karesh on July 23, 2012: “.....I pressed a number of ATS development team members about this inflexible packaging. Their response was that they had to keep the build combinations very low, 915 to be precise. GM feels that matching the BMW’s 1.2 million build combinations would substantially drive up costs and harm quality. I believe that they believe this, but I’m nevertheless skeptical. How does it significantly help cost or quality to always install nav when you install the FE3 suspension? I don’t doubt that reducing manufacturing complexity helps, but I don’t think all additional build combinations are equally harmful (as assumed by GM math).”

2) Cadillac also needs to ensure that optional equipment that they do include is of sufficient quality and refinement befitting a luxury branded vehicle. For example, there are multiple reviews that identify that the rear backup camera's picture at night as substandard (one reviewer said that the one on his personal Mazda 3 was much better). The responsiveness of the CUE screen to "button presses" and the feel of the mode button on the steering wheel are other examples.

Despite these observations above, my intent is to purchase an ATS coupe or sedan; the excellence of the driving dynamic, ride quality, interior and available options are very compelling.
    JavaGirl likes this.

Ragtop 99 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD
    Quote Originally Posted by 73JPS
    And you selected the trim level that does not have them... because?
    I did not purchase the performance level trim because the rear seat did not fold down. I don't understand why the lesser trim (luxury) has it, but the next level up doesn't. I would have liked having the paddle shifters, etc. in the performance.

torkibe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by Ragtop 99 View Post
    I did not purchase the performance level trim because the rear seat did not fold down. I don't understand why the lesser trim (luxury) has it, but the next level up doesn't. I would have liked having the paddle shifters, etc. in the performance.
    I almost did the same thing. I decided I could live without it. I actually did the opposite and stepped down from the Premium because I found the the HUD extremely distracting. I have the the Performance but the dealer gave me the 18 inch polished Aluminum and RFT at no charge, and I opted the CUE w/Nav so the only thing I don't have from the premium trim is the HUD. My salesman actually surprised me with the wheels when I picked up the car.

Ragtop 99 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

^^^ Free wheels = Nice upgrade. I wonder if they were on another car and someone negotiated a deal without them, so they swapped them on your car.

I have the HUD on my vette and like it. It does take a little time to get use to it and not stare at it.
    torkibe and Maxplot like this.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by torkibe

I almost did the same thing. I decided I could live without it. I actually did the opposite and stepped down from the Premium because I found the the HUD extremely distracting. I have the the Performance but the dealer gave me the 18 inch polished Aluminum and RFT at no charge, and I opted the CUE w/Nav so the only thing I don't have from the premium trim is the HUD. My salesman actually surprised me with the wheels when I picked up the car.
    You do know you can turn the hud off right.

torkibe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    You do know you can turn the hud off right.
    I actually liked the red LED alert instead. Plus, the way I optioned it I wound up saving money. As I said, it is identical to the Premium with the exception of the HUD

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.