3.6 automatic?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, 3.6 automatic? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Is it the general consensus that you should get a 3.6 if you want an automatic? Is it true that ...
    Foamy keg is offline Cadillac Owners Member

3.6 automatic?

Is it the general consensus that you should get a 3.6 if you want an automatic? Is it true that a 2.0T automatic MIGHT BE more susceptible to having problems later on due to the turbo? Basically, is the 3.6 automatic more reliable than the 2.0T automatic?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

Re: 3.6 automatic?

I'm pretty sure it's the same transmission with either engine. If you are never going to upgrade the engine I would go with the V6. The 2.0T can be modded to very high levels, 500hp+, and would be my choice.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by Foamy keg View Post
    Is it the general consensus that you should get a 3.6 if you want an automatic? Is it true that a 2.0T automatic MIGHT BE more susceptible to having problems later on due to the turbo? Basically, is the 3.6 automatic more reliable than the 2.0T automatic?
    Historically street turbos are less eliable than NA engines for the same car. But its not a sure thing.

There are lots of variables. The V6 has more parts to wear out or fail. The turbo has greater maximum forces on internal parts but its way below current technology and materials limits so that boils down to if GM consciously decided to give the 2.0T a shorter lifespan or less reliability to cut costs. Manufacturers don't tend to make that kind of info available. But since they could, I guess its more likely the 2.0T would need work first but suspect it would depend on how driven. Clearly the more you are on boost the faster it will wear. The more you use the throttle on any engine turbo or not the faster it will wear but more so on a turbo. Then again, if GM set the same average lifespan for the two, you would be ahead of the game with the turbo if you used less boost time than the average 2.0T owner.

Both use the same automatic transmission and its not one with a lot of excess capacity torque wise. So the V6 is more likely to need auto trans repairs and need them sooner than with the 2.0T.

I didn't see a clear reliability benefit with either so I went with the one that had the most satisfying power/torque curve, lowest weight and lowest center of gravity. Not to mention, if you ever do decide you want more power than either have stock, the turbo is the clear choice. Its much cheaper and easier to increase power with a turbo engine than a non turbo engine. Remember F1 cars were producing 1400 HP from 1.6 litre 4 cylinder turbos decades ago and they were using street car blocks; I mean literally they would start with high mileage street engines because those blocks were properly seasoned and more reliable. LoL.

So drive them both and buy the one that feels best to you. The torque curves are very different. And if you care a lot about handling make sure you drive both somewhere you can put them to the test. As you would expect, there is a difference. Most people won't get to the point they can feel it so it may (or probably) not matter to you.

Good luck.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

I would think it is a big assumption to think it wont be reliable, but both can be modded to tons of HP. We have brought the 3.6 to just under 700 hp, and the 2.0 should be just as capable.
    We came up with a good tuff stall converter for the 5L60E trans 3 years ago, and have been supercharging and turbo charging these for years (the 3.6) and they hold up amazingly well.
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.