Fuel Nozzle Won't Stay in Fuel Neck
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Fuel Nozzle Won't Stay in Fuel Neck in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Please see the attached image: image-577529417.jpg Using this fuel pump type which seem to be abundant all over CA gas ...
    ATSigma is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance

Fuel Nozzle Won't Stay in Fuel Neck

Please see the attached image:

image-577529417.jpg

Using this fuel pump type which seem to be abundant all over CA gas stations, every one of these will not stay in the fuel neck. It constantly pops out! My first time fueling the car, it was hard to get it in place and then while it started fueling, a second or two in, it popped out and fell on the ground. If it had scratched my car on the way down I would have been pissed. It seems this fuel nozzle in general is not compatible with the way the fuel neck is designed in the ATS. I'm the only person at the gas station who has to hold the fuel pump which kind of makes me feel ridiculous.

The dealership tell me it is the design of the fuel neck and it is not a manufacturer defect. While they are able to duplicate this issue in my car and with other ATS's on the lot, the car is designed like this so until GM issue a fix, it seems nothing can be done and it will continue to be an inconvenience. They instruct me to drive around and find different gas stations to use that do not have this style of pump nozzle which is even more absurd than sucking it up and standing there fueling it myself.

I like to clean my front and rear windows while I refuel so it seriously sucks that I cannot do that if I pick the "wrong" gas station and have to spend even more time there than I would like to.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CTSCHICK is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Re: Fuel Nozzle Won't Stay in Fuel Neck

That sucks seeing you are trying to use a top tier fuel brand to.

I think it might have to do with California having regulations that requires a different fuel pump nozzle design than the rest of the country

JLGT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13 ATS 2.0T 6MT Performance

I've noticed this issue also at one shell station, but at another it was not an issue. I have only fueled up twice since I bought it.

ben.gators is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK View Post
    That sucks seeing you are trying to use a top tier fuel brand to.

I think it might have to do with California having regulations that requires a different fuel pump nozzle design than the rest of the country
    ^
    This!
    Cailfornia has mandated "clean air" nozzles. These nozzles have different design and size, and you are not the only person who has problem with these nozzles. There are other cars that have similar problems.

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

That nozzle design is to keep "gas vapors" from the air. CA is big on air quality issues dealing with motor vehicles. They want you to stand there and keep pressure on the spring loaded nozzle for a tight fit to catch all those "vapors".

DiabloMike is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

I've noticed that I have to insert the nozzle at an odd/low angle to get it to go in, certainly different from any other vehicle I have fueled up in the past few years...
    Mike Litsch
    DiabloSport Inc.
    Diablosport.com

cadaddio is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Raven Black ATS 2.0T/ auto

I live in SoCal and have had to fight with these nozzles for years on several different vehicles, the ATS is not one of them. Although I only have 4k on the odo, I have filled up several times at a few different locations, and I have not had this problem with the ATS

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by DiabloMike View Post
    I've noticed that I have to insert the nozzle at an odd/low angle to get it to go in, certainly different from any other vehicle I have fueled up in the past few years...
    ^^ Yes, I have noticed exactly the same thing. Like the top of the gas nozzle catches on something, and you just have to angle it toward the ground slightly but not too much or it doesn't go in then either so then you pullthewholethingoutandyouhavetostartoveragainitca nbeprettyirritating...

bluztoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 AST, 2.0T, Prem. AT, RWD

Have gassed up 3 times and did indeed have this problem at one station (so not the other two).

ewired is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
    Not to mention the actual body of the pump handle can actually rest against the paint under the fuel door. I have only found one station that had a pump that didn't interfere going in or wanting to rest on the body. 10k miles. I just deal with it.

The funniest part was the first tank of gas. The salesman went with us and he couldn't get it to go in!

sd vidiot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium RWD 6M

I live in California and have the same problem with "vapor recapture" pumps. However, I also had the same problem with my E90 BMW 328.

RocketDawg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Performance, White Diamond Tricoat

Before I retired, I used to travel to California quite often and I remember that I hated the "clean air" nozzles. You had to push in pretty hard to compress the rubber part that's supposed to keep fumes from escaping. I kinda doubt they do a lot of good though. There's not much nozzle protruding beyond the rubber piece so I can see how it wouldn't stay in the fuel neck. Don't have that problem in Alabama, thankfully, or any other state I've driven in lately. Only California. Of course, California usually sets the standards for the nation on most everything. But this is one thing I hope doesn't catch on.

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Ha ha, I thought everybody had those nozzles, LOL. I've gotten a bit used to it now with the ATS, I never had this issue with my BMWs. But it's not a big deal, it just took a little while to get used.

thebucky84 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T

Never really thought holding the pump was an inconvenience..

JLGT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13 ATS 2.0T 6MT Performance

Those dirty nasty pumps.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.