adding OEM remote start to the ats
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, adding OEM remote start to the ats in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; does anyone know if its possible to add OEM remote start to ats that didnt come with it from factory. ...
    nyinstaller is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Ats 2.0l T

adding OEM remote start to the ats

does anyone know if its possible to add OEM remote start to ats that didnt come with it from factory.

My ats has it but my coworkers does not and he wants it. If this was a chrysler I would know, but since Its not and i am new to the gm world I shall ask.

thanks

Jon

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ATSFL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T base

Re: adding OEM remote start to the ats

from what i've seen in the onlinen accessory catalogs, it absolutely is possible to add on. not even terribly expensive to do so from what i can see. the only "snag" is that you can not use the RemoteLink app to remote start unless it was equipped with it from the factory. not really a snag, though.

orionjim is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

The salesman told me that I could it for $265 (I think that was the price) and it included new remotes.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

sounds about right
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

yeah I gotta manual and I wouldn't mind remote start (obviously leave it in neutral durhhh)

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

i did this to mine, was interesting, the car comes with remote start prep, meaning the hardware and capability is in place already

the kit includes two remotes and a code, my tech had to call GM and give them my vin and this new code, what i didn't know was that GM uses this authorization code to generate a new custom program for my car, my tech then downloads the new program then connects to my car and uploads the new program to the car, he then deleted all remotes, and reprogrammed the 2 new ones, and bingo, car remote starts now.

the interesting thing about this process for me was learning that GM stores the programming profile for the cars it makes, the reason is that should body control module that needed reprogramming ever need replacing they can and have it running as it should for that cars configuration updates and all. the other interesting thing was deleting all remotes ...the reason for this is the car tracks the keys and any driver personalisation is tied to driver/key 1 & 2 the new ones would be be keys 3 & 4 so the procedure is blow them all out and new remotes reprogrammed to keys 1 & 2.......that evening i took the old non working keys and programmed them as 3 & 4 using the procedure in the manual.

i now have 4 working remote/keys 2 with remote start, 2 without, and two key blades.
    RippyPartsDept likes this.

Mrfoxxy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Turbo. Had a 2001 Catera
    Do you mind me asking how much it cost for the remote starts ?

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by Mrfoxxy View Post
    Do you mind me asking how much it cost for the remote starts ?
    i dont remember the exact figure,that and tint was the first thing i did to the car but it was just under $300 installed, $225 for kit plus labor, worth every penny, i use it several times every day

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I had this installed last winter and I think the total cost was about $290 installed. There is an old thread, I believe, in the Technical Discussion section about this. Someone posted the part number in that thread, which I gave to my dealer. Bert

Mrfoxxy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Turbo. Had a 2001 Catera
    Does the Remote Link app work for the aftermarket one?

malaka1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual

Would this work on a manual car?

ATSFL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T base

Mrfoxxy/malaka1 - here is something straight from the brochure that should answer both your questions:

The Remote Start Kit is only available for ATS models with automatic transmissions and heated leather seats. For the Remote Start system to be compatible with the OnStar RemoteLink system, the vehicle must be equipped, from the GM factory, with the remote start feature.
    interesting, you have to have heated leather seats?

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by malaka1 View Post
    Would this work on a manual car?
    It won't work because GM built in road blocks for safety reasons. Obviously, if the starter was activated with a manual transmission in gear, it would not start the car but could cause the car to lurch and strike something or someone. So the remote start system will only operate if the auto transmission is in park. If you don't have an automatic transmission it won't have that information. And if you could fabricate a way to tell if the manual transmission is in neutral in lieu of an auto trans in park, you still couldn't get the factory system to work without updating the BCM which GM doesn't provide a way to do UNLESS the car came with an automatic.

Now I have some experience getting around those kinds of road blocks with Ford products but that was not a DIY situation. You still had to convince a dealer to manually load an entire module with customer supplied hex codes. Determining the correct codes involved gaining access to the full codes for various VINs with different options and reverse engineering what bytes control what and what values mean what. I only had to deal with the ACM. I suspect the BCM has much more code. But if you have a way to get the BCM code for two identical cars except for transmission you could determine what is different. If its a small amount (I doubt it for this) AND you guess correctly what values are needed to activate the remote start feature AND you can fab whatever input is needed to simulate an auto trans in park AND something else doesn't go haywire because the BCM now thinks there is an auto trans AND the dealer even has a way to load customer provided code AND you can talk them into doing so knowing they would be responsible for any unintended consequences AND you can fab a signal for when the manual trans is truly in neutral, AND find a way to falsify the clutch depresses status you MIGHT be able to pull it off. You will also become a legend on the internet. And since I own a manual, I hope you do take a shot.
    ATSFL likes this.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i'm pretty sure that the heated seat option requirement is a typo of some sort... i think we installed one on a car without heated seats
    ATSFL likes this.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by ATSFL View Post
    Mrfoxxy/malaka1 - here is something straight from the brochure that should answer both your questions:

The Remote Start Kit is only available for ATS models with automatic transmissions and heated leather seats. For the Remote Start system to be compatible with the OnStar RemoteLink system, the vehicle must be equipped, from the GM factory, with the remote start feature.
    interesting, you have to have heated leather seats?
    FYI: People have posted they did the upgrade without heated seats. That appears to be among the errors in the brochures and manuals. There may be a remote start setting in CUE for heated seats which could have led to a miscomunication between engineering and the tech writers.
    RippyPartsDept and ATSFL like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.