Who loves their ATS 2.5 Luxury?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Who loves their ATS 2.5 Luxury? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Everyone says don't get the 2.5 engine, not enough horsepower. I am in Florida , flat as a pancake here, ...
    mitchflorida is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Who loves their ATS 2.5 Luxury?

Everyone says don't get the 2.5 engine, not enough horsepower. I am in Florida , flat as a pancake here, I don't need a lot of hp here.

Who is satisfied with their 2.5 engine, and who wishes they had opted for more power?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    I've had two 2.5 loaners, and in casual driving up to maybe 50mph it's not that different from my 2.0. I actually prefer the gearing a bit more too.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Re: Who loves their ATS 2.5 Luxury?

2.5 is alright, the 2.0 is much faster though, my dad had a 2.5 demo and mine smoked it. But its still a decent powerplant, 200HP is a decent number

It sounds like if you are mainly on city streets , you will barely notice the difference. Highway is the opposite? Plus no turbo lag.

The ATS that are sold to the car rental agencies are mainly 2.5L powered.

ATom92 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS AWD 3.6 Luxury - White Diamond/Platinum/Brownstone

I'm a 3.6 guy.... always loved the feel and sound of a 6..... While the 4 is a nice engine, I just could not make the transition away from the 6.

you notice the turbo most when you go to pass someone in like.. 4th? you dont have to drop it a gear, just giv'r and you can feel the wave of power as the turbo spools up, whereas if you put it down in 4th in an N/A it doesn't give the same "Whoosh" or sensation.

redsoxski is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Performance ATS 3.6 white diamond tricoat
    Quote Originally Posted by ATom92
    I'm a 3.6 guy.... always loved the feel and sound of a 6..... While the 4 is a nice engine, I just could not make the transition away from the 6.
    Agree, love the 3.6!

Only thing I like more about the 3.6 is the really nice exhaust note GM gave it

How does the 2.0L Turbo engine sound compared to the 2.5L and 3.6L engines? Which is the loudest?

xtheunknown is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.5L

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    2.5 is alright, the 2.0 is much faster though, my dad had a 2.5 demo and mine smoked it. But its still a decent powerplant, 200HP is a decent number
    The 200 HP of the ATS 2.5 is competitive with some of the BMW/Mercedes/Audi offerings. The 2.0T with 275 HP is much better and I wish I had leased an ATS with that power plant. That said, the 2.5L is plenty of power for most situations.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchflorida View Post
    How does the 2.0L Turbo engine sound compared to the 2.5L and 3.6L engines? Which is the loudest?
    The 3.6 is the loudest engine for sure, the 2.0 sounds ok, its not bad, not too raspy, with my intake on though the car sounds fantastic! cant really say much for the 2.5, sounds like a normal 4banger with a quiet exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by xtheunknown View Post
    The 200 HP of the ATS 2.5 is competitive with some of the BMW/Mercedes/Audi offerings. The 2.0T with 275 HP is much better and I wish I had leased an ATS with that power plant. That said, the 2.5L is plenty of power for most situations.
    Well yeah I know, like I Said, if power isn't your biggest concern than the 2.5 is fine, but again, gotta remember theres more than just an engine upgrage with the 2.0 package.

Felton10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.5 luxury

Originally, I thought I make a mistake by not getting the 2.0. But as I got used to it (coming from a base CTS and its V-6), I didn't notice the difference as much. The only time I wish I had more power is trying to accelerate to get on the interstate or pass someone. Keeping it in the sports mode makes up for some of that lack of power. All in all (and I live in FL also where their are no hills), its not that bad.
    xtheunknown likes this.

JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

There are many who really like their 2.5 engine, who comes to mind is Muffin and a few others.
    ben.gators and GJB like this.

Quote Originally Posted by xtheunknown View Post
    The Cadillac special lease offers are for the 2.0T so I have to guess that they keep their value the most. Pretty soon the rental car agencies will be getting rid of their 2.5 L models, and those are good used car values.

"if power isn't your biggest concern than the 2.5 is fine, but again, gotta remember theres more than just an engine upgrade with the 2.0 package."

What else comes with the 2.0T upgrade?

If money is not an object, most would not choose the 2.5L

rspitler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 3.6 Premium Crystal Red Tintcoat ATS
    I've got the 3.6. Yesterday, my car was in the shop for the dreaded engine stumbling at idle. Anyway, I was provided a loaner with the 2.0T.

First impression was it has a much quieter exhaust note than the 3.6.

Second, it felt like the engine was way down on power from a stop until the turbo kicked in. The 3.6 has a lot more umph from the light. Also the 2.0T needs to be in manual mode to fully appreciate the turbo and keep the correct gear selected.

I'm glad I bought the 3.6. Just seems to be a better all around choice for the car. Don't get me wrong, I'm probably suffering a little in gas mileage. But if the Turbo needs to be in a higher RPM range to fully appreciate it, I'm thinking the gas mileage is probably comparable.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.