9 days in a bmw 328i -
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, 9 days in a bmw 328i - in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; So thanks to Avis President's Club they ugraded my rental car reservation to a 2013 BMW 328i which I would ...
    glenroebuck is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 AWD 2013

9 days in a bmw 328i -

So thanks to Avis President's Club they ugraded my rental car reservation to a 2013 BMW 328i which I would be driving for 9 days. I thought, perfect! What an opportunity to compare to two (my ats vs this bmw). Now I know it is not apples to apples as mine is awd but this is strictly my own observations. The one thing I noticed right away was I was underwhelmed with the BMW interior. Sure it had german minimalist design but there were a lot of cheap looking materials and hard edges. My other half even said "I thought BMWs were supposed to be nicer inside?" So winner on that goes to the ats.

There are some very odd features on the BMW. It has an eco feature that shuts the engine off at a stop. It is not smooth at all. It is jarring. I was panicked when I pulled up to the toll booth and the car shut off. A quick google when I got to the hotel and figured out there was a kill switch for that but you had to hit it every time you started the car. ick.

The I drive. Versus the Cue...I would say it is a toss up, Mine had nav and a lot more functions than cue (a boost/torque combo gauge for example). Cue is more vibrant and easy to see The bluetooth is managed through the I drive but the radio is a separate piece so odd combos throughout.

On to the meat. The driving. So I am not sure if it was because my car was not awd or it had more gears but it just seemed like it wanted to go fast all the time, that going 30 was a crime in it and it hated you when you did. When I drive my ats the power comes along smooth although it seems to hunt for gears at lower speeds. Of the two I would say the BMW gives are harsher ride.

I have to say the acceleration in 328i was excellent. It just gave and gave. from 0 - mid speeds...I mean I never broke 100 but I did get up there in some places (allegedly .

At the end of the day I enjoyed my time with the BMW but would I trade it for my ATS? No. Side by Side I feel the ATS wins.

----------

ooh I almost forgot - they have a eco/comfort/sport mode switch - but man their sport mode really is different from comfort. You can even feel the car change revs when you switch it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hood101010 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Performance

Re: 9 days in a bmw 328i -

Had one for 2 days as a rental as well...car is crap. Period. Over-engineered and underwhelming.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Sure it had german minimalist design but there were a lot of cheap looking materials and hard edges. My other half even said "I thought BMWs were supposed to be nicer inside?" So winner on that goes to the ats.
    No. BMW has the worst interiors(of the 3 German brands). Traditionally they were minimalist because they were more focused on making good driving cars. Lately it feels like they're minimalist for the sake of being minimalist, which is nice in it's own way. There's something to be said for a simplistic design versus the fussy curves and plethora of materials luxury cars too easily jump into (ie the ATS) . Mercedes at least feels a bit tailored if you check off some options, but is even more offending in the use of cheap materials in their C-class. If you want the supreme excellence of German Interiors, you want an Audi. Lexus is probably making ''better'' interiors than BMW and Mercedes in the compact sedan market right about now.

There are some very odd features on the BMW. It has an eco feature that shuts the engine off at a stop. It is not smooth at all. It is jarring.
    Start stop is becoming popular on everything, it's nothing exclusive to BMW, or luxury cars.

JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

Speaking of minimalist interiors my 06 Audi had a very plain jane interior and when I first bought the car I was a bit underwhelmed by it. My 09 Audi was leaps and bounds better and much more impressive. Now the ATS interior blows both of them away in everyway.

Savoy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I'm sorry but imo the audi interiors are horribly bland and boring. I test drove a 3series and 5 series before I bought the ATS and I thought they weren't too bad. The 528 in particular was, I thought, pretty nice. Albeit I like my ATS interior more but that's my feeling on it.

As far as Mercedes goes, I own an 09 c300 sport and the interior is simple but nice. Again not as nice as the cadi but nice in a clean sort of way.

glenroebuck is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 AWD 2013

The stop start was horrible on the bmw. I have had it on other cars as well and it is pretty seamless. On the BMW the car just lurches to a stop. Don't get me wrong when people say this is a drivers car. I know what they now mean. You just want to drive it, fast. If this is what the ats rwd is like then I missed out getting awd lol.

hood101010 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Performance

The start stop was disruptive to the overall experience and jarring. The interior reminded me of a Pontiac G6. A lot of hard surfaces. Looked dated.

Savoy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Honestly I haven't seen an interior yet that comes close to the new Cadilliac's yet. Anytime someone see's my interior they are like wow awesome interior. I'm talking owners of other high end cars.

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    That's a terrific comparison review. Thanks for sharing and great to know the ATS interior is far better. Cadillac did a phenomenal job 😀

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by glenroebuck
    The stop start was horrible on the bmw. I have had it on other cars as well and it is pretty seamless. On the BMW the car just lurches to a stop. Don't get me wrong when people say this is a drivers car. I know what they now mean. You just want to drive it, fast. If this is what the ats rwd is like then I missed out getting awd lol.
    We have a BMW X5 that we really enjoy. The turbo I6 is a beast. Butter smooth and it just wants to fly. 300 rated horsepower my a$$.

Was given a 328 as a loaner when the X5 was in for routine service. I hate Hate HATE the start/stop feature. The inability to permanently shut that feature off could prevent me from buying a car that has it.

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63
    We have a BMW X5 that we really enjoy. The turbo I6 is a beast. Butter smooth and it just wants to fly. 300 rated horsepower my a$$. Was given a 328 as a loaner when the X5 was in for routine service. I hate Hate HATE the start/stop feature. The inability to permanently shut that feature off could prevent me from buying a car that has it.
    This is a fallacy as it start/stop feature can be disabled by dealer programming.

Atswatcher is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Since the wife insisted to upgrade to another 3er, we have had an F30 335i with sport package for awhile now.

It is fine in comfort mode, but sport/sport+ is useless for daily driving, power drops off too soon right at 5000 rpm. The suspension is too soft, has significant body roll even in straight line acceleration sometimes.

Not to mention the lost steering feel from my old E90. But yes the auto stop/start can be removed by the dealer.

bbrown450 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS-Performance

Interestingly enough I too rented a bummer 328. Took it on vacay to our cabin in north Ga. (Rather take that sucker up the mountain than my ATS . I too was hit by the silly auto stop start. Hear it is supposed to be mandated by 2015 or so. Finally stumbled onto the override. For those that do not know that part of the country is a playground for amazing driving roads, in fact that is where the "tail of the dragon " is located (380 turns in 11 miles). I have to concur for a lower end model it was pretty peppy. I snuck out each morning for a few hours and tore it up. I was impressed by it's very intuitive handling you very easily paired with the vehicle. No paddles but had the silky smooth DSG with tiptronic shifter. Hated the electronic tramnie. Had to hit a button to put in park. I liked it enough to hit the dealer that was as far as it went when I found out you can fork over 50k and still be in vinyl seats they are really proud of their options. This was all pre ATS.....nuff said. Btw.....traded in my 2011 Corvette Grand Sport.......Nuff..... said

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraggy
    This is a fallacy as it start/stop feature can be disabled by dealer programming.
    I didn't claim it couldn't be shut off. I just said that if it couldn't be, I wouldn't buy the car.

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63
    I didn't claim it couldn't be shut off. I just said that if it couldn't be, I wouldn't buy the car.
    picky picky

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.