Warning to potential buyers wanting true Navigation on their ATS - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Warning to potential buyers wanting true Navigation on their ATS in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by mikesul Unless you travel to places you are not familiar with, why pay for nav. Most people ...
    DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesul
    Unless you travel to places you are not familiar with, why pay for nav. Most people don't go on cross country trips, they fly and rent a car. I had nav in my last few cars, including my last two Cadillacs, and opted not to get it in the ATS. I will used Onstar if I need directions. Nav is a gimmick, that for most people, is a waste of money. The portable Garmin can be taken with you when you travel in the US and Europe (with updates) and is much more practical. Use your smart phone if you don't like the portable route. Finally, why didn't you ask your salesman if your car had nav? You never should take anything for granted when purchasing/leasing a car.
    The technology included in the cars to offer Nav at a very small cost is already there , the screen ! My point is that at the price point if any Cadillac , nav should simply be included as standard equipment. Like ABS. . When I purchased my wiffes first caddy she said " no I don't need Nav where do I go etc". It took her about a month to realize how great a feature it is. Yes, we all have smart phones that can give us Nav or we can get a Garmin but IMHO any car over $45,000 should have a navigation included. Especially when the screen is already built in !
    JavaGirl likes this.

JavaGirl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Warning to potential buyers wanting true Navigation on their ATS

Quote Originally Posted by chrismc2001 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I know it's really my own fault, there was no sticker on it when I test drove it and just assumed that a $57000 Cadillac with an icon called "NAV" would have navigation.My $40000 Kia Sorento has it. Just really disappointed, I do a lot of driving holidays and never really plan anything ahead and I use my NAV all the time when travelling. I dont like using a stand alone GPS with the power cords etc. Just my preference.

Chris
    You might have been even more disappointed if you had noticed and decided to pay more for NAV. See the following threads which point out deficiencies in the ATS NAV:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...avigation.html

and

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...data-line.html

Even if you could take the ATS back and get one with NAV, you might want to thoroughly check the NAV out to see if it has all the features you would expect in a NAV package or not (and consider if the features of the NAV justify the price, in your opinion).

In my opinion, for the price Cadillac charges for NAV, it should be as good (or better) than Google maps (which is an extremely tall order). Otherwise, I think NAV should be included with CUE for free as DG2 says above. Anything other than these two options does a disservice to the brand, in my opinion.
    Maxplot likes this.

JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

Quote Originally Posted by JavaGirl View Post
    You might have been even more disappointed if you had noticed and decided to pay more for NAV. See the following threads which point out deficiencies in the ATS NAV:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...avigation.html

and

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...data-line.html

Even if you could take the ATS back and get one with NAV, you might want to thoroughly check the NAV out to see if it has all the features you would expect in a NAV package or not (and consider if the features of the NAV justify the price, in your opinion).

In my opinion, for the price Cadillac charges for NAV, it should be as good (or better) than Google maps (which is an extremely tall order). Otherwise, I think NAV should be included with CUE for free as DG2 says above. Anything other than these two options does a disservice to the brand, in my opinion.
    The Nav in the ATS works great. As a Navigation tool its better than Google maps. I have used Google maps in the past it its not nearly as useful as the nav in my ATS. I think many are confusing a Nav system with a maps program. The Nav works as it should and I feel its well worth the extra cost to have it in my car.
    rustybear3 likes this.

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by JSATS View Post
    The Nav in the ATS works great. As a Navigation tool its better than Google maps. I have used Google maps in the past it its not nearly as useful as the nav in my ATS. I think many are confusing a Nav system with a maps program. The Nav works as it should and I feel its well worth the extra cost to have it in my car.
    I also agree that the ATS NAV is waaaay superior to glitchy programs on a phone such as Google Maps. Google Maps suck, and their accuracy has a lot to be desired as well as their clunky design. Its slow, it takes a lot of steps to start navigating, it crashes all the time,hard to use, hard to search for locations and very slow to respond.
    NAV on the ATS is intuitive and the best I've seen on cars in years.

Don't want NAV? Don't pay for it! The more Cadillac makes things optional, the more people complain....if they didn't make it optional, I'll guarantee others would complained that they were forced to have it and would rather save money.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Don't get me wrong, I know it's really my own fault, there was no sticker on it when I test drove it and just assumed that a $57000 Cadillac with an icon called "NAV" would have navigation.My $40000 Kia Sorento has it. Just really disappointed, I do a lot of driving holidays and never really plan anything ahead and I use my NAV all the time when travelling. I dont like using a stand alone GPS with the power cords etc. Just my preference.

Chris
    if you bought it yesterday, do not drive it anymore, and contact your dealer immediatly, and explain the situation to them they should be able to help you, especially if you WILL ensure they will not lose a sale, simply ask to get the car you need, they might make some grumpy noises about it but if your persistent it's really no problem for them to void a day old deal, and re-sell you a car equipped the way you like.

now, i fully understand your heartbreak, but before you go and blame cadillac and shun them forever, here are a couple of things to consider.

1) you didn't ask, so some responsibility is yours
    2) your sales person did a poor job discovering what you wanted, so some responsibility is his or hers
    3) you do in fact have navigation included in your car, its just not in the form you like and you have it for a year, after which you need to have a subscription.
    4) and most importantly concerning who to blame you should know, that NOT ONE of the ATS competitors offers map based NAV as standard equipment, so you should shun them all to be fair.

Consider this, there are about 5 2014 cars that are truly comparable to ATS so looking at them here is a breakdown of their NAV situation.

Cadillac ATS4 3.6 $945 for package that includes NAV
    Infinity Q50 AWD $1400 for package that includes NAV
    Audi A4 3.0 Quattro $1950 for package that includes NAV
    Lexus IS350 AWD $2085 for package that includes NAV
    BMW 335i xDrive $2150 for package that includes NAV
    Mercedes C350 AWD $2790 for package that includes NAV

so it seems to me Cadillac is in the ballpark concerning industry practices, and one could argue, that since the other cars don't offer a built in turn-by-turn nav solution like onstar, the cadillac is offering you more, and lastly Cadillac offers their NAV package at the lowest cost, which one might consider a second step above and beyond it competitors.

don't misunderstand this post as beating you up, not my intention, and i truly feel for your situation and wish you the best in getting it resolved, I do however, think Cadillac can't be blamed for building a car commensurate with its competition.
    huna and ben.gators like this.

Thunder Gray STS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium
    I wonder how people did before 1980 when all options were al a carte????!

What I need for navigation is indeed a map, but also one with real-time traffic overlays. I never know which combination of roads I will use on my commute. There are seven critical intersections in my commute at which I must decide which way I will go based on then-present traffic conditions. Google maps is fantastic for this and can make the difference in me going 70 mph versus 5 to 20 mph (and you never know a-priori which way will have the traffic jams due to accidents, et cetera).

Also, I have found that the ATS does not recognize certain addresses. I have never had such problems with Google maps.

By the way, if Google maps does not work well for you on your phone because of crashes and/or being slow, then you might need a faster phone or to be in an area with more reliable mobile coverage (or both).

Anyway, your mileage may vary based on your needs and your location. However, for me and some of the others who have posted on here, the ATS NAV does not come close to meeting our needs and/or expectations. If it does for you, good for you.

Finally, it is my hope that Cadillac will hear about this aspect of where they are lagging behind phone-based navigation aids, and that they will continue to improve their offerings so as to make their automobiles even more appealing to a wider segment of the population (for example, imagine CUE being like an iPad capable of utilizing your phone's 4G connectivity).

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

I've never encountered any problems with the ATS NAV recognizing addresses as you claim. I have the latest IPhone 5 and that's the point; if your cell phone coverage changes or drops as you travel so goes your Google maps. Not so the ATS NAV....it is rock solid, no matter where I go. Others have complained that the updated Google maps indeed have many problems and is really still a beta type app. Plenty of forums/and or complaints on the google maps exist than the few of you that don't like Cadillac NAV systems.

If you prefer google maps, go for it. As for myself and the vast majority of Cadillac ATS owners, I'll stick with the reliable and beautiful NAV system that comes with the ATS. A push of the button, and CUE gets me where I want to go.....no muss, no fuss.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismc2001
    Don't get me wrong, I know it's really my own fault, there was no sticker on it when I test drove it and just assumed that a $57000 Cadillac with an icon called "NAV" would have navigation.My $40000 Kia Sorento has it. Just really disappointed, I do a lot of driving holidays and never really plan anything ahead and I use my NAV all the time when travelling. I dont like using a stand alone GPS with the power cords etc. Just my preference. Chris
    I agree with you and others on the desire for an integrated system. I don't care how people try to justify their decision to not purchase it by saying their phone or Garmin is just as good, the performance is not the same.

We have four cars, three of them have factory NAV, a CTS coupe, a BMW X5 and Mazda 6 (son's car). Our fourth car, a 2006 Mustang convertible does not have navigation. It's a summer car and I bought a Garmin Nüvi for that. Like I said, they don't compare. The Garmin takes forever to search for POIs and is nowhere near as fast at calculating the route.

Not to mention that you have no integration with Bluetooth, and the infotainment systems, along with the fact that you have cords hanging and brackets affixed to your windshield. The Mustang was purchased used (CPO) so I made compromises, but when buying new, I will never buy a car that doesn't have factory NAV.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee
    if you bought it yesterday, do not drive it anymore, and contact your dealer immediatly, and explain the situation to them they should be able to help you, especially if you WILL ensure they will not lose a sale, simply ask to get the car you need, they might make some grumpy noises about it but if your persistent it's really no problem for them to void a day old deal, and re-sell you a car equipped the way you like. now, i fully understand your heartbreak, but before you go and blame cadillac and shun them forever, here are a couple of things to consider. 1) you didn't ask, so some responsibility is yours 2) your sales person did a poor job discovering what you wanted, so some responsibility is his or hers 3) you do in fact have navigation included in your car, its just not in the form you like and you have it for a year, after which you need to have a subscription. 4) and most importantly concerning who to blame you should know, that NOT ONE of the ATS competitors offers map based NAV as standard equipment, so you should shun them all to be fair. Consider this, there are about 5 2014 cars that are truly comparable to ATS so looking at them here is a breakdown of their NAV situation. Cadillac ATS4 3.6 $945 for package that includes NAV Infinity Q50 AWD $1400 for package that includes NAV Audi A4 3.0 Quattro $1950 for package that includes NAV Lexus IS350 AWD $2085 for package that includes NAV BMW 335i xDrive $2150 for package that includes NAV Mercedes C350 AWD $2790 for package that includes NAV so it seems to me Cadillac is in the ballpark concerning industry practices, and one could argue, that since the other cars don't offer a built in turn-by-turn nav solution like onstar, the cadillac is offering you more, and lastly Cadillac offers their NAV package at the lowest cost, which one might consider a second step above and beyond it competitors. don't misunderstand this post as beating you up, not my intention, and i truly feel for your situation and wish you the best in getting it resolved, I do however, think Cadillac can't be blamed for building a car commensurate with its competition.
    It doesn't matter whether or not he drives it. Once the car it titled, it officially becomes a used car and as a result the value is diminished. I know it makes no sense especially when a dealer can sell a demo with several hundred miles as a new car because it's never been titled, but that's just how it is.

chrismc2001 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6 Performance AWD Silver Coast Met.

Thanks all, good points. I talked to the dealer and they were good about it. They asked me what they could do to make me happy. I dont expect them to find me another car. I fully understand it is really my own fault it just kinda shocked me that it didn't include a full display nav. I didnt even know that existed, the last 3 of my vehicles all had nav displays with maps. I will get over it!! As for getting a different vehicle, they are few and far between up here in the great white north(Edmonton,AB). There aren't any with close to the amount of options I have with 18" wheels, silver color etc so I will live with it. I guess I can keep up the Onstar after the free year. I can have Onstar for a few years for the price of NAV but I will miss the display. I dont always need directions but I do like to know where I am in relation to things and having a map display allows that.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
    I've never encountered any problems with the ATS NAV recognizing addresses as you claim. I have the latest IPhone 5 and that's the point; if your cell phone coverage changes or drops as you travel so goes your Google maps. Not so the ATS NAV....it is rock solid, no matter where I go. Others have complained that the updated Google maps indeed have many problems and is really still a beta type app. Plenty of forums/and or complaints on the google maps exist than the few of you that don't like Cadillac NAV systems.

If you prefer google maps, go for it. As for myself and the vast majority of Cadillac ATS owners, I'll stick with the reliable and beautiful NAV system that comes with the ATS. A push of the button, and CUE gets me where I want to go.....no muss, no fuss.
    Oh, well that is why you are having problems. I am not sure if you are aware or not, but Apple and Google are having a spat, and Apple has "tweaked" their support for Google maps on their products to the point that it indeed does not function well. I definitely agree with you that Google Maps (and all maps for that matter) are now subpar on Apple products. I used Apple iOS 5 and it was great, but when Apple released the iOS 6 updates to devices, they broke Google maps. I now have moved on to a Motorola phone, and it is always rock solid and blazing fast with Android (by the way, Google now owns both Motorola and Android). Also, I have Verizon in an extremely large metropolitan area, so I also have rock-solid coverage. Yes, my expectations are extremely high, partially because Google/Android/Verizon/Motorola set them so high (and deliver)!

So, don't blame Google for the problems you have with your Apple phone (and possibly mobile coverage too?)

Furthermore, I am not sure if the "vast majority of Cadillac ATS owners" would agree with you or not at this particular point in time, but definitely the younger "internet" generation will not as they become the predominant purchasers of tomorrow. Our expectations of technology are much higher than what Cadillac is presently providing. I know Cadillac will have to improve sooner or later to keep from being laughed to scorn by the younger generation with higher expectations from electronic technology, but I just hope their improvements come sooner rather than later.

Finally, as POWookie wrote above, maybe Cadillac is superior to other competing manufacturers at this point in time, but you can bet your bottom dollar that companies will not set on their laurels. Again, I hope Cadillac will take this seriously and make drastic improvements sooner rather than later.

Best wishes...

----------

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    I agree with you and others on the desire for an integrated system. I don't care how people try to justify their decision to not purchase it by saying their phone or Garmin is just as good, the performance is not the same.
    Hey gohawks63,

I would much prefer to use the in-dash NAV, but unfortunately it is not an option for me. My biggest needs from NAV are real-time traffic overlays, and time-to-destination estimates which factor present traffic conditons into the calculations.

Unfortunately, at this time that restricts me to having to use my phone...

----------

I dont always need directions but I do like to know where I am in relation to things and having a map display allows that.

Chris
    Chris, then you really should skim some of the threads I linked above and see if those make you more satisfied that you did not pay for ATS NAV. If your desires from NAV include using it as a map, then you might have been sorely disappointed if you had paid for ATS NAV, and then still did not get basic map functionality you might expect. Read the other threads I linked above for more details and decide for yourself if you dodged a bullet or not based on your expectations of what you would like for a NAV package to do.

steptoe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS AWD DI

Quote Originally Posted by DG2 View Post
    The technology included in the cars to offer Nav at a very small cost is already there , the screen ! My point is that at the price point if any Cadillac , nav should simply be included as standard equipment. Like ABS. . When I purchased my wiffes first caddy she said " no I don't need Nav where do I go etc". It took her about a month to realize how great a feature it is. Yes, we all have smart phones that can give us Nav or we can get a Garmin but IMHO any car over $45,000 should have a navigation included. Especially when the screen is already built in !

I could not have not said that any better! Nav is needed and should be in every Cadillac.
    Back to the original post. Come on man you can’t be buying a car and not know what you are getting this one is on you.

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post

We have four cars, three of them have factory NAV, a CTS coupe, a BMW X5 and Mazda 6 (son's car). Our fourth car, a 2006 Mustang convertible does not have navigation. It's a summer car and I bought a Garmin Nüvi for that. Like I said, they don't compare. The Garmin takes forever to search for POIs and is nowhere near as fast at calculating the route.

Not to mention that you have no integration with Bluetooth, and the infotainment systems, along with the fact that you have cords hanging and brackets affixed to your windshield. The Mustang was purchased used (CPO) so I made compromises, but when buying new, I will never buy a car that doesn't have factory NAV.

----------

It doesn't matter whether or not he drives it. Once the car it titled, it officially becomes a used car and as a result the value is diminished. I know it makes no sense especially when a dealer can sell a demo with several hundred miles as a new car because it's never been titled, but that's just how it is.
    not exactly true, it's true once a car is titled it's used but certain things have to happen to be locked in, first most dealers can take up to a week to title a car, usually this is because they're shopping banks for a better rate, you see sometimes a car is sold at lets say 5% the dealer can then shop around to see who will buy that loan and the banks compete by offering lower rates so in our example let say us bank buys it at 4% that one percent overage the customer is paying the dealer gets to keep? this is why car buying guides tell you to bring your own financing. because in this example if you happen to bank at us bank you have an opportunity to get the 4% yourself and now your a cash buyer at the dealer, this is also why contrary to popular belief cash is not king at dealerships. also some states have cooling off periods in which case the deal is not a lock and also in California you can buy a car and wait a month to pick it up and if you decide against buying never take delivery the deal is void, taking delivery consumates the contract.

now here's something else to know the terms void, unwind, demo, loaner, new and used

new is just that the car is unborn, it is born when the registration is generated by the state

used is a car that has had its registration generated

loaner is a registered dealer use car it is sold sold as used but typically is a bargain because the factory pays the dealer to provide this service

demo is an unregistered dealer use car when sold because it has no registration it is still eligible for incentives but is contracted used

unwind is when a registered car is taken back and put out for sale again this usually happens when the customer is unable to secure financing but the registration has already gone through

void, this is simply a return just like returning your shoes that didn't fit, the car stays new because the registration hadn't gone through yet......this is what the OP may have the opportunity to obtain and is why another poster and I said to stop driving the car, every mile they add makes voiding or unwinding the deal more painful for the dealer and decreases their willingness to help.

JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

I have had Nav on three cars including Lexus, Audi and Cadillac and the Nav on my ATS is by far the best. None of the mentioned Navs have a map program like Google maps. I would like to know what a true Navigation is and what cars offer it. I feel that we as consumers expect much from everything we buy and if it doesn't have exactly what we want then its no good.

Quote Originally Posted by JSATS View Post
    I have had Nav on three cars including Lexus, Audi and Cadillac and the Nav on my ATS is by far the best. None of the mentioned Navs have a map program like Google maps. I would like to know what a true Navigation is and what cars offer it. I feel that we as consumers expect much from everything we buy and if it doesn't have exactly what we want then its no good.
    true navigation is your mother-in-law in the car always telling you you're going the wrong way, she's a full featured Nav with speed monitoring when she complains your going too fast, traffic monitoring when you hear how bad other drivers are on the road, unfortunately you can't adjust her volume, but an interesting feature is you know her magnetic ride is working when you hear the ATS ride is too bumpy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.