Test drove Audi A4 S line quattro vs. Cadillac ATS 2.0T Premium AWD
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Test drove Audi A4 S line quattro vs. Cadillac ATS 2.0T Premium AWD in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Ok, I am still test driving cars to judge against the ATS before I take the plunge. Today I test ...
    Pat_X5 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none yet but maybe soon ?

Question Test drove Audi A4 S line quattro vs. Cadillac ATS 2.0T Premium AWD

Ok, I am still test driving cars to judge against the ATS before I take the plunge.
    Today I test drove a 2014 Audi A4 S Line 2.0 optioned pretty much the same as Cadillac ATS 2.0T Premium AWD. The Audi dealer knew that I was looking and comparing against other brands.

I need to ask why if both cars are priced the same (MSRP), both Audi and Cadillac have $1,000 competitor conquest cash, equipped almost identical - why would the Cadillac have a lower lease payment than Audi ( both 36 mos) with about the similar cash due at signing ???

We are talking about $100 different per month !

I know the residuals differ by a few percentage points and the MF is similar.

Is Cadillac offering some discounts or incentives I don' t know about ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Re: Test drove Audi A4 S line quattro vs. Cadillac ATS 2.0T Premium AWD

who cares?....go ahead and sign

Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

Residual value must be higher on the ATS. And it is superior in every performance category.

redsoxski is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Performance ATS 3.6 white diamond tricoat
    What's audi's money factor on their lease? ATS is a better car, IMO

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Yeah lease pmt's are great on the ATS because the residual is so strong. Oh and yeah and the ATS is better than the Audi

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

to answer your question, it's all about the residual AKA lease end value. a higher residual is a reflection of the confidence the bank has on the resale value of the car, in other words they expect to make good money selling it after you turn it in, so they in turn offer you a good residual. the residual on my lease is 60% thus I only financed 40% of the car so a few percentage points really count.

let's say your looking at 2 leases for a $50,000 car

first lease has a 60% residual this leaves you financing before taxes and fees with $3000 out of pocket plus $1000 cap cost reduction for conquest $16,000

second lease has a 55% residual again before fees with $3k down and $1k CCR you're financing $18,500

divide both by 36 months and you have a $444 payment @ 60% and a $514 payment @ 55%

a $70 a month savings in payment or a $2520 saving for the whole lease, so a few percentage point add up fast, this is just a rough example obviously I don't know the details on either of those leases, I just wanted to give some insight on how the residual affects your deal
    pever likes this.

RemaxAl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD

GM is up to it's old tricks. Residuals too high on the lease buy-out. So at the end of the 3 year lease the buy-out is 28g and the car is only worth 23g. One of the things that flung them into bankruptcy 5 years ago. Take advantage while you can.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    to answer your question, it's all about the residual AKA lease end value. a higher residual is a reflection of the confidence the bank has on the resale value of the car
    In this case its not banks having confidence the cars will be worth that much down the line. Specific banks are being paid by Cadillac to inflate the residual value. But should it turn out to be true, the banks will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Pat_X5 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none yet but maybe soon ?

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    to answer your question, it's all about the residual AKA lease end value. a higher residual is a reflection of the confidence the bank has on the resale value of the car, in other words they expect to make good money selling it after you turn it in, so they in turn offer you a good residual. the residual on my lease is 60% thus I only financed 40% of the car so a few percentage points really count.

let's say your looking at 2 leases for a $50,000 car

first lease has a 60% residual this leaves you financing before taxes and fees with $3000 out of pocket plus $1000 cap cost reduction for conquest $16,000

second lease has a 55% residual again before fees with $3k down and $1k CCR you're financing $18,500

divide both by 36 months and you have a $444 payment @ 60% and a $514 payment @ 55%

a $70 a month savings in payment or a $2520 saving for the whole lease, so a few percentage point add up fast, this is just a rough example obviously I don't know the details on either of those leases, I just wanted to give some insight on how the residual affects your deal
    Thanks Pissedoffwookiee !

Yes, that is correct - you guessed the numbers correctly - Cadillac was 6% more than Audi in residual value.

Plus the Caddy dealer was knocking off another 1K which made that gap between the Audi and Cadillac so much.

Appreciate the input fellas!

I will have to take advantage of the ATS - thanks RemaxAl too

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    In this case its not banks having confidence the cars will be worth that much down the line. Specific banks are being paid by Cadillac to inflate the residual value. But should it turn out to be true, the banks will be laughing all the way to the bank.
    this is partially true, the factory does pay into incentives, usually you see this when there is a 0% offer, but i don't think GM has as much control over non captive (independent) banks as you think. if you recall during the bankruptcy era, Cadillac had a real difficult time selling cars for a couple of reasons one the government stupidly didn't help its own owned car company by setting the rules for cash for clunkers so that its 2008 car of the year the CTS missed the fuel economy qualification by 1 mpg. another reason is GM spun off Ally bank (AKA GMAC) well the newly independent bank started not offering leases comparable to other luxury makes, putting a dent in sales. in response to this GM bought Americredit THEN suddenly Ally started playing ball

----------

Quote Originally Posted by RemaxAl View Post
    GM is up to it's old tricks. Residuals too high on the lease buy-out. So at the end of the 3 year lease the buy-out is 28g and the car is only worth 23g. One of the things that flung them into bankruptcy 5 years ago. Take advantage while you can.
    I wouldn't call it that this situation did happen but if you recall during the pre bankruptcy times, large SUV's and trucks were the highest profitable vehicles and had incredible resale values (it was smart to nurture this profit center), it was the combination of events combined that created the perfect storm, one was hurricane catrina, and the refineries she wiped out, and the middle east, both combined to create gas spikes and prices no one had ever seen before, then the economy collapsed. these converged and had the net result of the market pivoting on GM, suddenly their most profitable vehicles practically became their least, and if not so certainly their least desireable, but they had a huge number of these leases out in the wild and what was supposed to be a profit center become a big loser because these formerly highly desirable vehicles tanked instantly (remember HUMMER). typically they can see when a vehicle starts slowing down and consequently wind down their programs to coincide with the changing market.

glenroebuck is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 AWD 2013

Gm owns the bank they finance leases with - and interest rates are incredibly low.

huna is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 AWD Premium Thunder Gray, Caramel, with peanuts

Quote Originally Posted by glenroebuck View Post
    Gm owns the bank they finance leases with - and interest rates are incredibly low.
    GM hasn't owned it since maybe 2007(?).

GJB
    GJB is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by huna View Post
    GM hasn't owned it since maybe 2007(?).
    Ally Financial Inc. was founded in 1919 as the General Motors Acceptance Corporation (GMAC).

huna is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 AWD Premium Thunder Gray, Caramel, with peanuts

Quote Originally Posted by GJB View Post
    Ally Financial Inc. was founded in 1919 as the General Motors Acceptance Corporation (GMAC).
    Point being? (Not disputing that.) They don't own it anymore. So if GM is propping up residuals, it is done by GM with GM money, period. Ally is its own animal with its own management. Not to be confused with Ally Sheedy. I suppose GM could buy her, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by GJB View Post
    yes but sold them during the crisis which is when the name changed from GMAC to Ally, GM and Ally are independent from each other, in response to the banks not playing ball with GM anymore, GM bought americredit (a sub prime lender) and turned them into GM Financial, this move had the effect GM wanted, in terms of scaring the the banks straight, specifically Ally and U.S. Bank. Facing the prospect of losing GM business, they both now offer great leases.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by huna View Post
    Point being? (Not disputing that.) They don't own it anymore. So if GM is propping up residuals, it is done by GM with GM money, period. Ally is its own animal with its own management. Not to be confused with Ally Sheedy. I suppose GM could buy her, maybe.
    they could, but she's just a random redhead without the 'Brat Pack' they need to buy them too, but the comercials would be sad........ a bunch of 50 year olds in detention with 'Simple Minds' music playing, and an ATS seen through the library window

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.