Question to forum
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Question to forum in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Related to tire pressure which is so important... Do most of you have a piece of equipment to add air? ...
    redsoxski is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Performance ATS 3.6 white diamond tricoat

Question to forum

Related to tire pressure which is so important... Do most of you have a piece of equipment to add air? If yes, what type? Also, is their a tire pressure gauge you recommend getting to check pressure and how often do you check? Been driving new ats for one week and my OnStar app says back tires are at 35 already and recommend backs being @ 40? How accurate is this app? Thanks as always each of you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Savoy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redsoxski View Post
    Related to tire pressure which is so important... Do most of you have a piece of equipment to add air? If yes, what type? Also, is their a tire pressure gauge you recommend getting to check pressure and how often do you check? Been driving new ats for one week and my OnStar app says back tires are at 35 already and recommend backs being @ 40? How accurate is this app? Thanks as always each of you.
    In my case my car was swapped in from a dealer that had put nitrogen in the tires. The dealer I bought it from doesn't have a nitrogen pump and as a result my tires were at 31-32 all around the day I picked the car up. Since finding nitrogen is a pita I went to Costco and they let me use their nitrogen pump. I have 35 in the front and 40 in the back as per the b pillar drivers door.

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

Re: Question to forum

My B pillar sticker recommends 32 front and 35 rear. 40 psi? Really? Regarding equipment, our SRX came with its own compressor but I haven't used it yet. I have a 60 gallon industrial compressor in my barn that's always full and ready. Bert

DHT
    DHT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 13' ATS 2.0T AT RWD

I know 32/35 is right, but 40 psi is wrong. unless your not talking about the ats.

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by DHT View Post
    I know 32/35 is right, but 40 psi is wrong. unless your not talking about the ats.
    My B pillar for the 18" RF on the 3.6 AWD is 35 front 40 rear

oachalon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Peformance 3.6 AWD

My B-pillar on my AWD ATS with the 18" wheels is also 35 front 40 rears. My dealership had my tires at 35 on all 4. I added 5 PSI each to the rears.

I just use my normal air compressor. Nitrogen is mostly gimmick. The air you breathe is 80% nitrogen, and GM even has a bulletin regarding whether or not nitrogen needs to be used:

service bulletin #05-03-10-020
    In this bulletin it is stated:

General Motors does not oppose the use of purified nitrogen as an inflation gas for tires. We expect the theoretical benefits to be reduced in practical use due to the lack of an existing infrastructure to continuously facilitate inflating tires with nearly pure nitrogen. Even occasional inflation with compressed atmospheric air will negate many of the theoretical benefits. Given those theoretical benefits, practical limitations, and the robust design of GM original equipment TPC tires, the realized benefits to our customer of inflating their tires with purified nitrogen are expected to be minimal.So the benefits of using Nitrogen (N2) are considered to be minimal by the corporation and MAY even become an unneccessary source of customer dissatisfaction, as Nitrogen is typically not as readily available for routine tire pressure "top-ups" and therefore requiring special treatment or exccesive effort/measures in order to locate a gas station or dealer that offers N2 for tires. Some may not even offer a "public" source of N2 and charge a $$ fee. (which can lead to additional dissatisfaction that unfortunately GM is not in control of)

The same bulletin also states:

Regardless of the inflation media for tires (atmospheric air or nitrogen), inflation pressure maintenance of tires is critical for overall tire, and ultimately, vehicle performance. Maintaining the correct inflation pressure allows the tire to perform as intended by the vehicle manufacturer in many areas, including comfort, fuel economy, stopping distance, cornering, traction, treadwear, and noise. Since the load carrying capability of a tire is related to inflation pressure, proper inflation pressure maintenance is necessary for the tire to support the load imposed by the vehicle without excessive structural degradation. So GM certainly DOES NOT recommend that owners run any higher or lower air pressures than what has been offcially imprinted on the placard located on the driver's door. Dealers are also advised to use this data when adjusting a vehicle's tires during a pre-delivery inspection (PDI) or during tire inspection/service of any sort (eg. tire rotation).
    GJB likes this.

GJB

Ok so what are the diffrent tire pressure recomendations by model? So far from this post we know that the:
    2.0 AWD is 32/35
    3.6 AWD is 35/40 (18" all season RF)

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Although my ATS' tire psi recommendations are for 32/35, I run 35 all around. I believe that GM recommends 32 up front in order to reduce the potential to over-steer. At 35psi all around the car responds very nicely and I think that my fronts won't wear as much. Of course, I routinely do rotate the tires and check air pressure weekly.

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

My 32/35 is with 17" RF

Quote Originally Posted by GJB
    Ok so what are the diffrent tire pressure recomendations by model? So far from this post we know that the:
    2.0 AWD is 32/35
    I got it GJB... I think I way over analyzed my question. But excellent feedback by all.... I will stick with 35/40 since we have exact same model and tires (except 4 color) and as they say, MOTHER knows best! The above engineer manifest was indeed technical, but very helpful. They just could have used LESS all caps in explanation.
    Like I said in my original thread, this is my first new car and I'm falling in love with my ATS 3.6 RWD Performance so much, I want to take care of this beauty I have in my possession.... I think you guys call it ATSitis.. Well I got it~ all the best and Happy Motoring!

RocketDawg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Performance, White Diamond Tricoat

My 3.6 2WD is also 32/35. It has 17" wheels all around.

Never heard of any car recommending 40 psi before, but I suppose there's always a first time.

To answer the original question though: I have a Black & Decker electric compressor to top off all my vehicles. It plugs into a standard wall outlet. I don't think they still make it though, and especially don't make the model I have. But it's been really reliable. In my Vette, I carry a Viair 90P Portable Air Compressor that attaches to the car battery. Here it is on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I have a digital pressure gauge I bought at Radio Shack. They're widely available and probably any of them with a reasonable price are accurate enough. A psi or two one way or the other isn't going to make any significant difference.

I've read that the ATS is supposed to come with a "safety kit" that has an air compressor. If so, I didn't get one. Plan to check with the dealer when I take it in for an oil change.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg

Never heard of any car recommending 40 psi before, but I suppose there's always a first time.

To answer the original question though: I have a Black & Decker electric compressor to top off all my vehicles. It plugs into a standard wall outlet. I don't think they still make it though, and especially don't make the model I have. But it's been really reliable. In my Vette, I carry a Viair 90P Portable Air Compressor that attaches to the car battery. Here it is on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I have a digital pressure gauge I bought at Radio Shack. They're widely available and probably any of them with a reasonable price are accurate enough. A psi or two one way or the other isn't going to make any significant difference.

I've read that the ATS is supposed to come with a "safety kit" that has an air compressor. If so, I didn't get one. Plan to check with the dealer when I take it in for an oil change.
    Thanks R'Dawg... Good info! How you like the WDTricoat? Isn't it a nice finish?
    It's funny how just 1 inch larger wheel I have calls for 5 more psi's.

slepr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T AWD Premium

Quote Originally Posted by GJB View Post
    2.0 AWD is 32/35
    I have a 2.0T Premium AWD and my B pillar sticker says 35F 40R so the above generalization doesn't hold up.

GJB

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxski View Post
    I got it GJB... I think I way over analyzed my question. But excellent feedback by all.... I will stick with 35/40 since we have exact same model and tires (except 4 color) and as they say, MOTHER knows best! The above engineer manifest was indeed technical, but very helpful. They just could have used LESS all caps in explanation.
    Like I said in my original thread, this is my first new car and I'm falling in love with my ATS 3.6 RWD Performance so much, I want to take care of this beauty I have in my possession.... I think you guys call it ATSitis.. Well I got it~ all the best and Happy Motoring!

I don't think you over analyzed it, and I did not answer your original question..I picked up a small Husky air compressor years ago from Home Depot and use it every other week on my ATS, I also have one of the B&D mentioned. Seems every time I check cold pressure its off +- 1 to 1.5 PSI. I also use a digital gauge I purchased on Amazon and it has their logo and I'm pleased with it.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post

R/dog, No safety kit if you have RF tires. If you have RF tires not sure a compressor is going to do you much good. If you replace with non RFT when they wear out I would buy one, get a jack and a tire plug kit. Now the other school of thought is, we own a Cadillac with road side assist. Push the blue button and sit back and listen to your CUE....

----------

Quote Originally Posted by slepr View Post
    I have a 2.0T Premium AWD and my B pillar sticker says 35F 40R so the above generalization doesn't hold up.
    Slepr, this was not a generalization it was restating what others posted and I'm trying to get people to fill in the blanks with their model and B pillar recommendations. So this is what I'm looking for... what are the different tire pressure combinations? The person who posted that their 2.0T w/AWD did not provide any more detail so your having a Premium 2.0T AWD suggest that its the wheel size on the car and maybe summer vs all season that determine which ATS has 34/40 or 32/35.

pever is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium with Driver Assist & Adv Security

For my ATS 2.0T AWD Premium the GM spec is 35 front / 40 rear

I use this gauge:
    http://www.accutiregauge.com/racing-...ressure-gauge/

When I had my last rotation done, they reset the TPMS but they did not set the tire pressures so I had 40 front, 35 back.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.