Need help with detailing.
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Need help with detailing. in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I need some pointers with detailing. I need something that's quick and ...
    ep_83 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Black Raven 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T

Need help with detailing.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I need some pointers with detailing. I need something that's quick and easy to use, has the best bang for buck, and will keep my car looking glossy (my car is black raven). I don't need a showcar finish. I just want to keep it looking good. Can someone recommend me some products as well as where to get them and how much they cost? Thanks!

Also, my wife's car is Silver so if there's something I can use on both, that would be perfect. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Re: Need help with detailing.

There was a thread just recently posted that deals with that:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...k-tricoat.html

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

I find the spray detailers and wax the easiest and my car is garage kept so I don't need heavy duty protection. Maguire’s Ultimate or Turtle Wax Ice or Mothers detailers and spray wax all work very well and might meet your requirement. You can buy at automotive stores and places like Wal-Mart. I use detailer regularly to take off dust and very light dirt and occasionally use the wax after. I rarely wash the car just keep it clean with detailer. Everyone has opinions on what is best, my motto is if you use something regularly its better than the best product sitting on a shelf in your garage.

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

my car never ever looks dirty. always looks clean. also a black raven. my secret is i go to a good carwash every weekend without missing a single weekend. and tip high.

Maxplot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 3.6 - Crystal Red, 2013 SRX Platinum Ice

1. Wash with blue Dawn dish soap.
    2. Use a little alcohol to clean off tar.
    3. Use a clay bar such as Meguiars or Mothers
    4. Wax with Meguiars Ultimate Wax
    5. From then on wash with Meguiars Ultimate wash and wax
    6. After wash wipe down with Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax or Meguiars Ultimate detailer to get rid of water spots.
    7. Dust off lightly with duster and/or quick detailer between washes.
    8. Repeat 1-4 every 6-12 months depending on if you park inside, etc.
    9. Never, ever drive down a dirt road (get out and walk).

DHT
    DHT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 13' ATS 2.0T AT RWD

Meguiars Ultimate detail, and liquid wax.

ddawson is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS PREMIUM SEDAN 3.6 RWD

Liquid Glass, there is none better.
    Muffin likes this.

pissedoffwookiee is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

if you want perfect beautiful Maxplot has you covered with his instructions, if you want good enough and easy, I like nu finish, having lived in the midwest and constantly having to wash salt of the car in the winter, a strict regimen like Maxplot outlined was a little much for me, its easy to do now that im back home in san diego but there not so fun. the main difference is you'll note is in steps 1 & 5 the kind of soap/cleaner used has a dramatic effect on wax' ability to stay on the car, and in an environment like the midwest where going to a handwash place one or twice a week you cant really control what detergent they use, of course this can be mitigated if you have them re-wax your car every time, the nu finnish is more durable and doesn't get washed off, and i would only recommend it on new paint, on an older car it might react with oxidation and cause hazing.

Maxplot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 3.6 - Crystal Red, 2013 SRX Platinum Ice

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    if you want perfect beautiful Maxplot has you covered with his instructions, if you want good enough and easy, I like nu finish, having lived in the midwest and constantly having to wash salt of the car in the winter, a strict regimen like Maxplot outlined was a little much for me, its easy to do now that im back home in san diego but there not so fun. the main difference is you'll note is in steps 1 & 5 the kind of soap/cleaner used has a dramatic effect on wax' ability to stay on the car, and in an environment like the midwest where going to a handwash place one or twice a week you cant really control what detergent they use, of course this can be mitigated if you have them re-wax your car every time, the nu finnish is more durable and doesn't get washed off, and i would only recommend it on new paint, on an older car it might react with oxidation and cause hazing.
    Good points. We get a lot of salt on the roads here in Kansas in the winter. I waxed my wife's car with NuFinish because I wanted to try it. It's harder to remove than Meguiars Ultimate. It leaves a white residue where Meguiars does not. I found that it did not last as long on my wife's car than Meguiars Ultimate did on mine.

But waxing with anything to protect the paint against oxidation is better than none. I don't think there is any easy way to take care of the paint. If you do the deep cleaning steps first, it will be easier to take care of with a spritz and wipe type product.

P.S. Why wouldn't you want to have perfect beautiful paint? You are driving a Cadillac. Don't be lazy.

RocketDawg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Performance, White Diamond Tricoat

Black is the hardest color to keep looking good. Every scratch shows up, and the heat of the sun attacks it worse than any other color. The Black Diamond Tricoat is much easier to keep looking nice, but of course, it costs $1000 extra.

You've had some good suggestions. You can get good protection with the Meguiar's, it's easy to use, and not expensive. Using a clay bar will definitely improve and get the grit out of the finish. Not sure I'd wash with Dawn though ... it 's rough on the paint and strips the wax off. Most don't recommend doing that step now ... just wash with a car wash liquid, like Meguiar's, then wax and use a sealer if you'd like. It'll look good. But you have to do it pretty regularly with black.

You might also want to get a California duster. It's basically a rag mop with a handle, and the mop has been impregnated with paraffin so the dust will stick to it. Then use a quick detailer between washes. But you want to dust first ... otherwise, you'll be grinding dust into the finish of the car.

And if you get bugs on the front end, get them off as soon as you can. The longer they stay, the harder they are to get off. There's a product called Rejex that I find makes bug removal much easier. It's used just like wax, and you can put it on the entire car (including glass) if you want to. And very easy to remove after it dries. I just put it on the nose of my car for easy bug removal. Probably have to order on the net though ... I know of no retailers that sell it. Costs less than $20 but a bottle lasts a long time.

ep_83 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Black Raven 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by Maxplot View Post
    Good points. We get a lot of salt on the roads here in Kansas in the winter. I waxed my wife's car with NuFinish because I wanted to try it. It's harder to remove than Meguiars Ultimate. It leaves a white residue where Meguiars does not. I found that it did not last as long on my wife's car than Meguiars Ultimate did on mine.

But waxing with anything to protect the paint against oxidation is better than none. I don't think there is any easy way to take care of the paint. If you do the deep cleaning steps first, it will be easier to take care of with a spritz and wipe type product.

P.S. Why wouldn't you want to have perfect beautiful paint? You are driving a Cadillac. Don't be lazy.
    Lol very true. I actually would enjoy it, but I just don't have the time. I work full time, own a small business, have a 3 year old and another on the way. I also have to keep my wife's car clean and its difficult to set a few hours aside on the weekends to detail them the way I want. It seems if and when I do have free time it starts to rain (I live in FL and it rains all the time :/ ).

pissedoffwookiee is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by Maxplot View Post

thanks and i do like a great finish on the car, i personally hand wash mine twice a week and keep in the garage

My point with NuFinish was to avoid using real wax, and instead use some kind of polymer/silicone alternative that is more resistant to washings if Meguiars Ultimate fits that bill awesome and thanks for the tip i will try it.

unfortunately I've had the dealer polish my car 3 times because it was scratched when i bought it it looks good but is swirled badly to my eyes, the opulent blue is just as bad as the black, one of these days i'm going to have to hand compound the car and get the paint to my satisfaction

ewellsie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T Premium RWD

Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax - no hose necessary, no need to rinse the car and risk water spots
    4-6 microfiber towels - used to wipe off and dry the car in sections after using the ONR
    bucket - for your sponge and brushes obviously
    wheel/wheel well brushes - to clean your wheels and the wheel well
    sponge/microfiber pad - for applying the ONR

then you could just use Optimum spray wax on top of that for an extra shine and protection.

that's about as easy as it gets, I just ordered all of that for $100 on http://www.autogeek.net

Chuck C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by ewellsie
    Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax - no hose necessary, no need to rinse the car and risk water spots
    4-6 microfiber towels - used to wipe off and dry the car in sections after using the ONR
    bucket - for your sponge and brushes obviously
    wheel/wheel well brushes - to clean your wheels and the wheel well
    sponge/microfiber pad - for applying the ONR

then you could just use Optimum spray wax on top of that for an extra shine and protection.

that's about as easy as it gets, I just ordered all of that for $100 on http://www.autogeek.net
    I also endorse ONR... An amazing product.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxplot
    1. Wash with blue Dawn dish soap.
    2. Use a little alcohol to clean off tar.
    3. Use a clay bar such as Meguiars or Mothers
    4. Wax with Meguiars Ultimate Wax
    5. From then on wash with Meguiars Ultimate wash and wax
    6. After wash wipe down with Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax or Meguiars Ultimate detailer to get rid of water spots.
    7. Dust off lightly with duster and/or quick detailer between washes.
    8. Repeat 1-4 every 6-12 months depending on if you park inside, etc.
    9. Never, ever drive down a dirt road (get out and walk).
    ^^^^ what he said, I use Meguiar's Show Car Glaze and NXT Gen wax, but the waxes mentioned above are fine. I too use the Quik Wax to touch up.

I disagree with the "visit a good car wash" comment above. Especially a soft cloth or one with brushes as they will leave fine scratches or swirl marks that are more visible on a Black car since that color paint is less forgiving.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Maxplot

EXACTLY! Especially if you got a black car. If you wanted easy you should have gotten silver.

I work hard to keep my Black Diamond coupe looking good.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee

thanks and i do like a great finish on the car, i personally hand wash mine twice a week and keep in the garage

My point with NuFinish was to avoid using real wax, and instead use some kind of polymer/silicone alternative that is more resistant to washings if Meguiars Ultimate fits that bill awesome and thanks for the tip i will try it.
    Try Meguiar's NXT Gen. It has synthetic polymers that are supposed to last longer.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.